Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it above, so I'll say it again: we need to hire Bohannon and right now.

The other candidates will either be unable to make use of the players we now have - and we've got some good ones - or be too expensive. First, if we hire someone who will come in and try to use players recruited for a system offense to run an O premised on having a few "playmakers", we will be looking at multiple years of disastrous seasons. I keep hearing about "football irrelevancy" here; have a string of 3 - 9 years and see where we end up. We have been able to keep the program steady and get to great heights occasionally largely because we have been recruited for a system O that allows us to specialize our recruiting so that we get players we can use effectively. Someone like Malzahn or Wisenhunt or Satterfield would be lost at Tech and unable to get the players they need to run their programs. Bohannon could step right in without a hiccup.

Second, we could get him for a decent price. We need every extra penny for program development now. Someone like Malzahn would be another (and less successful) Paul Hewitt.

This is, as some above have said, a big decision, especially with recruiting in a sensitive stage. Hire Bohannon (provided he'd leave KSU, of course) and we'll get the continuity we need. Bring in a "disruptor" and we'll end up the Sears-Roebuck of college football.

For the people who want to keep running the CPJ offense, what makes you think his successors will improve on his success?

Based on what I'm hearing about big money donors, no chance that we are running the TO next year.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If it’s an nfl guy, he will really need to fill out the staff with guys that know GT. McCollum is a good start off this staff. Maybe look at Jean Marie, Giff, Charles Kelly on defense. Maybe look at Brent Key from Bama as OC, doubt he would leave for another ol coach position.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Chad Lunsford and his coordinator, Bob Debesse, are coaching football 3 hours away from Atlanta. They went 9-3 this year. It fits hand-in-glove with current Georgia Tech talent. We'd be in the shotgun half the time. Lots of unique formations but maintain Triple Option principles. Kirvonte would become a star overnight... Lucas Johnson fits perfectly.

• Under his watch the Lobo offense continues to be prolific and record setting.
  • In 2016, the Lobos blitzed several school records on the way to leading the nation in rushing yards per game, a first in program history. It also marked the fifth time in five seasons UNM has finished in the top-10 in rushing nationally
  • The Lobo offense was prolific scoring 48 rushing touchdowns, breaking the school record
  • The Lobos also broke the school record for total offense, racking up an astonishing 5,939 yards
  • UNM also led the nation in rushing plays of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards or more, and UNM running back Teriyon Gipson led the nation in yards per attempt, averaging 8.75 yards per carry.
  • In the 2015 season, the Lobos led the nation in total plays of 60 or more yards (11) and 70 or more yards (7). In addition, the team ranked second nationally in rushes of 30, 50, 60, and 70 or more yards, and was third in rushes of 40 or more yards
  • The Lobos added a deadly aerial attack as well and the team threw three touchdown passes of 80 or more yards in the final five games of the season, the most 80-yard completions in the history of UNM for a single season.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it above, so I'll say it again: we need to hire Bohannon and right now.

The other candidates will either be unable to make use of the players we now have - and we've got some good ones - or be too expensive. First, if we hire someone who will come in and try to use players recruited for a system offense to run an O premised on having a few "playmakers", we will be looking at multiple years of disastrous seasons. I keep hearing about "football irrelevancy" here; have a string of 3 - 9 years and see where we end up. We have been able to keep the program steady and get to great heights occasionally largely because we have been recruited for a system O that allows us to specialize our recruiting so that we get players we can use effectively. Someone like Malzahn or Wisenhunt or Satterfield would be lost at Tech and unable to get the players they need to run their programs. Bohannon could step right in without a hiccup.

Second, we could get him for a decent price. We need every extra penny for program development now. Someone like Malzahn would be another (and less successful) Paul Hewitt.

This is, as some above have said, a big decision, especially with recruiting in a sensitive stage. Hire Bohannon (provided he'd leave KSU, of course) and we'll get the continuity we need. Bring in a "disruptor" and we'll end up the Sears-Roebuck of college football.

Bohannon is a dwag....NEXT!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'd be fine with this, Monken might be the better coach though.
I agree, strongly, but I don't think he would come. If a "Ok, we'll take Monken. You guys up at West Point, you take Bohannon." deal emerged, then I'd be all for it. But I'm not sure that would be feasible. Bohannon seems more likely to take the risk of stepping in at Tech.

We'll see. One thing we simply can't afford is to hire someone who will try to coach - and recruit - like he's at Bammer. Despite persistent delusions around here, the barriers Coach has faced are not going away. We can't create a factory program at Tech; it has to be something we can adapt to our environment. Another academy coach would be ideal, but I don't think Monken will leave.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
For the people who want to keep running the CPJ offense, what makes you think his successors will improve on his success?

Based on what I'm hearing about big money donors, no chance that we are running the TO next year.

Don't think we will run the TO but maybe an updated option maybe one out of the gun. Wouldn't that be ideal at least from a transition standpoint, as we don't really have any players or recruits right now that are ideal for a standard offense?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Which has zero to do with recruiting or running an innovative offense, which you need to do in the modern college game.

Depends on what’s the philosophy. If we going to be about developing players for the NFL. Grooming QB’s like Stanford & Duke. Playing a “pro-style” offense and getting smart kids that won’t a shot at the league, then Wisenhunt makes sense.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Chad Lunsford and his coordinator, Bob Debesse, are coaching football 3 hours away from Atlanta. They went 9-3 this year. It fits hand-in-glove with current Georgia Tech talent. We'd be in the shotgun half the time. Lots of unique formations but maintain Triple Option principles. Kirvonte would become a star overnight... Lucas Johnson fits perfectly.

• Under his watch the Lobo offense continues to be prolific and record setting.
  • In 2016, the Lobos blitzed several school records on the way to leading the nation in rushing yards per game, a first in program history. It also marked the fifth time in five seasons UNM has finished in the top-10 in rushing nationally
  • The Lobo offense was prolific scoring 48 rushing touchdowns, breaking the school record
  • The Lobos also broke the school record for total offense, racking up an astonishing 5,939 yards
  • UNM also led the nation in rushing plays of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards or more, and UNM running back Teriyon Gipson led the nation in yards per attempt, averaging 8.75 yards per carry.
  • In the 2015 season, the Lobos led the nation in total plays of 60 or more yards (11) and 70 or more yards (7). In addition, the team ranked second nationally in rushes of 30, 50, 60, and 70 or more yards, and was third in rushes of 40 or more yards
  • The Lobos added a deadly aerial attack as well and the team threw three touchdown passes of 80 or more yards in the final five games of the season, the most 80-yard completions in the history of UNM for a single season.

Hmmmmmm formerly director of scouting at Auburn and also director of player personnel so he knows the HS coaches in the SE. He's only 41, going to have to take a closer look at him!

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't think we will run the TO but maybe an updated option maybe one out of the gun. Wouldn't that be ideal at least from a transition standpoint, as we don't really have any players or recruits right now that are ideal for a standard offense?

Yeah that makes sense to me. I definitely don't want to see another season of the QB keeps from under center 30 times per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.