Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I loved having Ross here, but he did leave for San Diego, and O’Leary left for Notre Dame. I’m not sure how they bled gold more than Chan did. They won more and had a more exciting offense (and Ross had a better defense).

I’m not sure where the Kiffin love or attention comes from. He just went 5-7 at FAU, which is about as different an environment from Tech as you’ll see. He also underachieved at USC and UT. He’s controversial, but so are coaches that win.

Anyway, here’s The Sporting News rehashing random candidates by looking at Twitter and throwing darts at a dartboard
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...son-at-georgia-tech/73xplguzdrgv18a204dzjd9c0

Headline is “best candidate” where I think “best” is defined as “the guys I could think of before my deadline”. This is starting to get funny. Sooner or later, someone will actually do reporting for a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No sports reporters actually do research anymore

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
Kiffin and Leach? Those are the two, huh? Those are the two worst potential fits for Georgia Tech possible and won’t even get a second tkought by Stansbury.

Leach and Kiffin? Seriously? Do you even know their back stories? Neither gets along with anyone. Both have abrasive personalities. We want someone to recruit and unite the fan base, not blow it up even worse. At this point, I presume you are a GA fan wanting to fracture our fan base because those two are total non starters. Good one though.....
I'd take Leach .

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Amen, great post! And to those who say we can’t win with his offense, look at how well Wake, Duke, UVA and many other non-factories are doing with it. We can recruit better than many of them, if we can get in the 30’s in recruiting classes and get some 1-8 type players GT will kill it with that system.
Especially if we will put the money into getting top assistant coaches. Historically GT has been a sub par recruiting school, but I’m eager to see with the plan T Stan has put into place with innovation of the program, new locker room and the new edge building, with a bigger staff, how much better we can recruit. I hear we will always be around the same, but I disagree. If we get a good HC with good recruiters and T Stan continues to grow the program, I think we can recruit top 30 consistently. The reason I can see a big jump is because of the things T Stan is trying to implement, are things we have never done as a program, at least in the modern era (correct me if I’m wrong) imo that is going to help set us apart for some of the bigger recruits that we always seem to lose on late in the cycle. I could always be wrong, but JMO.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Yes Coach Satterfield's offense did look good but...
1. I believe Coach Elliot would be better in recruiting.
2. He knows Clemson and the ACC.
3. Maybe Coach Elliot can bring Clemsons' linebacking coach to be the DC.
I agree.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone needs to stop and think about this. GT always hires older, experienced head coaches. It will not be Elliot or Collins. Satterfield maybe. But if I had to put money on it. Whiz will be calling the plays next year.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Everyone needs to stop and think about this. GT always hires older, experienced head coaches. It will not be Elliot or Collins. Satterfield maybe. But if I had to put money on it. Whiz will be calling the plays next year.

Yeah I mean heaven forbiddd we actually shifted the paradigm.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Gotta disagree with you here. I think we'll finally see a change in the norm and Tony Elliott will be the guy. From what some have been saying on here is that the chances of Wiz being our next head coach are extremely slim.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta disagree with you here. I think we'll finally see a change in the norm and Tony Elliott will be the guy. From what some have been saying on here is that the chances of Wiz being our next head coach are extremely slim.
Good luck with that

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anybody know anything about Geoff Collins’ character? Seems like he can recruit like no other but with Stansbury making this decision I know he strongly values integrity and someone who ‘fits’ Georgia Tech. I don’t necessarily view him flipping a one-time tech commit to Ms. State against his character. Unless he used deception, improper benefits, etc.

Elliot certainly seems to ‘fit’ in that way. Whiz checks that box.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin and Leach? Those are the two, huh? Those are the two worst potential fits for Georgia Tech possible and won’t even get a second tkought by Stansbury.

Leach and Kiffin? Seriously? Do you even know their back stories? Neither gets along with anyone. Both have abrasive personalities. We want someone to recruit and unite the fan base, not blow it up even worse. At this point, I presume you are a GA fan wanting to fracture our fan base because those two are total non starters. Good one though.....
So true.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

You must be one of those guys whose main concern was CPJ was not good with the press.

Leach is so bad the big money Texas Tech guys are trying to bring him back.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

It is an interesting observation. GOL was only one without HC experience in forever.

Perhaps, thats our issue too.....need to take a swing every now and then

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody know anything about Geoff Collins’ character? Seems like he can recruit like no other but with Stansbury making this decision I know he strongly values integrity and someone who ‘fits’ Georgia Tech. I don’t necessarily view him flipping a one-time tech commit to Ms. State against his character. Unless he used deception, improper benefits, etc.

Elliot certainly seems to ‘fit’ in that way. Whiz checks that box.

He was well known for bad mouthing our school while recruiting. Brent key did some too.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
"What some have been saying on here " has absolutely zero bearing on who will be hired. We all know that , right ??

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
It is an interesting observation. GOL was only one without HC experience in forever.

Perhaps, thats our issue too.....need to take a swing every now and then

We did with a Bill Lewis. Been there and sat through it. Sat thorough a Bill Curry learning how to be a head coach too. Not interested in repeating either of those.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

I am a long time season ticket holder lol. I have 6 tickets. Tech fan all my life. I have a long enough memory to remember the last time we made the hot coach hire from a smaller program. It was a disaster. I was also there when we hired the inexperienced guy who learned how to coach here and left, Curry. I sat through both of those. I hope Never to repeat that.

I am not totally against Elliott if he can assemble an excellent staff. I don’t think he has a big enough network or experience to accomplish that. His predecessor and mentor Chad Morris is struggling at Arkansas making the transition to head coach. Why do we think he would be better?

I am very much in the camp that someone coming here needs head coaching experience and has a large enough network to build a really good staff.

I will support fully whoever gets hired and be excited. People who say they won’t support the program if a certain individual gets hired are not true fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.