Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
With the right coordinators, I don't disagree. That's the Dabo-model. A HC who is mostly a recruiter and organizer who is willing to take a relatively low salary so that he can pay upper-echelon coordinators. I like that model actually and think it is one that could make a lot of sense at GT.
I'd be willing :) would like to know who would keep

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think Stanford and GT BOTH have challenges 95% of other schools in P5 don't have to deal with. The difference between GT and Stanford, and I've said this MANY times, is Stanford's challenges are on the front end (getting kids accepted into school) while GT's challenges are more on the back end (keeping them APR eligible). I did some research a while and found that the lowest GPA Stanford accepted from a recruit was 3.3 GPA (after scouring available GPA data recruits provided). That recruit was Christian McCaffery btw. While I found GT accepted a recruit with a 2.9 GPA. Stanford's HC David Shaw (and this may be an extension of the school telling coaches that's what they want) requires his kids to have 2 AP classes on their transcript when they apply. I've never found GT to have that standard.

So it's a bit of the chicken or the egg conundrum here. Is it better to have it harder on the front end but easier to keep kids in school. I think this makes Stanford's pool a lot smaller than GT's.

Is it harder to try and keep kids APR eligible at a school with limited and harder majors, but have lower requirements for recruits? Our pool is larger than Stanford's because of this. Remember, we got Louis Young and St Amour because both were waiting on Stanford to accept them, but neither got accepted and chose us afterwards.

I think both schools have very real limitations that set us apart from the rest of P5. It's just a matter of opinion as to which you think is the harder route.
Well put. And my assertion is not that our situation and Stanford's are identical. It is that our limitations do not preclude us from doing what they've done FOOTBALL wise. I'm not arguing we can do what factories do, or even want to. I'm arguing for a higher risk/reward approach which is the only way to max your potential. Any wealthy business person will tell you that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The last few times we tried to go with academic exceptions we got bitten in the *** big time. I think that’s why CPJ went full bore towards the opposite end of the spectrum. I think that’s the way to go with maybe a few exceptions mixed in. either way we’re still going to need twice or three times the recruiting budget.

Getting our *** landed on academic probation has really scared the administration. It doesn’t matter whose fault it was. I highly doubt they’re going to loosen entrance requirements for SA’s anytime soon.

yet it was the administrations fault. Its almost like I made the mistake, but, we are going to screw you rather than fix me.

We can loosen them more, and will. I guarantee they will be loosened some.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I did not know Andy McCollum was a Head Coach at Middle Tennessee. So has been a head coach knows Tech seems to like the Atlanta area lives in Cobb County ( I think ) and a damn good recruiter , some times what you are look for is right at your door.

Baylor assistant coach Andy McCollum took over for Donnelly in 1999.[17] McCollum led the Blue Raiders to a 6–5 record in 2000, their first as an FBS program. In 2001, McCollum oversaw an offense that ranked fifth nationally and MTSU finished 8–3 as the runner-up behind North Texas which won the Sun Belt Conference championship. In 2005, MTSU's defense ranked ninth nationally. McCollum was fired after the 2005 season.[18]

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Early on in this thread I mentioned Stanxxxx in relationship to the 2 tight end jumbo ol.
I feel having this as a key part of our offense is do able as recruiting o l guys generally easier from academic side. Also if we can show good blocking to the Atl qb and wr recriuts, we have a better shot at getting a program changer.
I apologize for using the word stanxxx as it was an unnecessary triggering .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I'm Georgia State, I give CPJ 1 year to recharge his batteries and go hard after him to run their program. CPJ could easily build GA State into a powerhouse in their conference and not even have to move. Also, the next round of conference expansion is on the way soon. The B1G and Big 12 REALLY want in on the Atlanta market. GT ain't leaving the ACC. CPJ could positiion GA State as a VERY attractive school for those conferences. CPJ won't have to deal with the BS that comes with GT, and there will be absolutely no pressure on him to win.

Something interesting to ponder.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If I'm Georgia State, I give CPJ 1 year to recharge his batteries and go hard after him to run their program. CPJ could easily build GA State into a powerhouse in their conference and not even have to move. Also, the next round of conference expansion is on the way soon. The B1G and Big 12 REALLY want in on the Atlanta market. GT ain't leaving the ACC. CPJ could positiion GA State as a VERY attractive school for those conferences. CPJ won't have to deal with the BS that comes with GT, and there will be absolutely no pressure on him to win.

I would not want this to happen.

Much rather CPJ go to KSU and win another national title if Bohannon lands a bigger job.

Georgia State should have never made the move to FBS and I hope their program never gets off the ground. lol

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

That is interesting, but I think, if PJ does coach again, he will probably choose a little better G5 school, as I would think many would be interested. He is a North Carolina boy, so East Carolina might be another possibility. Again, just hope where he goes is not on our future schedules.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I can’t belive this is devolving into another Stanford debate
It's unbelievable how almost every thread on this board that goes more than a few pages turns into a pissing match between fonts regarding academics and Stanford. Mods need to sticky a Stanford/Academics thread so that people can take that crap in there every time the urge hits them to fight about it. It's beyond irritating.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Georgia State should have never made the move to FBS and I hope their program never gets off the ground. lol

I think GA State will become a thorn in our side eventually. Maybe not in the next 5-10 years, but they can be a VERY attractive school for one of the P5 conferences if they can their sh!t together. Once they make the leap to P5, GT will need to look in the mirror and have some serious decisions to make.

I'm with you, I hope GA State never gets out of their own way...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nah, I want to catch him one time without that bye week he politics for every year, and send him off with a proper butt-kicking.

They won’t need to ask for it anymore now. So you won’t see it as much. And Swofford will claim it was always just an aberrant random chance thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.