Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Fairy Reaction GIF

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

slugboy

Staff member

It looks like we have a DT/Noseguard coach, a DE/OLB coach, and ILB coach, and we need to add a secondary coach.
We’re retooling the entire defense. We’re probably changing the scheme.

When I heard we might have two LB coaches, I thought it was impossible—made no sense with our scheme. But, we’re getting a different scheme, apparently.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It looks like we have a DT/Noseguard coach, a DE/OLB coach, and ILB coach, and we need to add a secondary coach.

When I heard we might have two LB coaches, I thought it was impossible—made no sense with our scheme. But, we’re getting a different scheme, apparently.
I like the hire and agree it looks like we could be running a different scheme, which after the last few years I'm ok to try something.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

I wonder if maybe we bring on a graduate asst. for DB along with one of the incoming coaches, possibly the new DC, also doing the DBs. We moved our 2 DB coaches to the office for the bowl game and let a couple of GAs handle the DB coaching and at the time I wondered if maybe CBK was looking to move one of them to a DB coach position. CBK is all about giving young up and coming coaches opportunities. This is what Saban did when he brought in Kirby originally and he eventually became his DC. Does sound like there may be 3 coaches for the front 6/7.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Only hesitancy is why isn’t he the DC at A&M right now with Mike Elko if he’s a great coach? Key hit a home run with Buster last year, if he can hit a double with this hire, we’re going to be really good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe good coaches design their defense around their players' skills and the offenses they are defending against. We will see what Santucci does with the guys we have. He looks good from my POV.
Looks good? Kinda underselling the magnitude of this humongously important titanic earth shaking hire, don’t cha-think?

Let’s see a little enthusiasm here.
out my mind GIF by Tritonal

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I figured there would be way more input over this hire considering the forum was foaming at the mouth for any news regarding a DC

From what handful of duke football I watched this past season, I came away thinking their defense was tough. Stingy. I'm excited to get this guy. Hard to be worse than our d was last year.

Hopefully he can bring in some d lineman.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So I guess this means that the entire former D staff is gone? Tillman, Thacker, Sherrer, and Coleman? In their place are Santucci, Simpson, and Pope. Is there another slot still? Those three seem to be all DL/LB oriented position coaches.

Last edited:

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pretty excited about this hire! Santucci is the guy I was hoping for - he had good defenses at Dook...AT DOOK!!!! Let that sink in.

With the new coaches, I'm confident that we'll see a significant improvement on that side of the ball - including recruitment. If we get the defense performing in the top half of the nation, we might start looking like a serious program again!