Potential DC for Next Year

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I started the sniping over nothing. Yes, GT staff or search committee probably talked to dozen of candidates, Key interviewing a far smaller number. It's a very good hire, in fact I think he was our #1 target.. I like the full defensive staff being assembled. I am concerned with the lack of depth. We need help in a bad way and need full effort on the portal. Hope these guys got it in them to make a big impact fast.
It’s all good my fellow GT fanatic. We are in strong agreement here. I’m happy with the hires and concerned about the depth and I do think we will see a full court press on the portal once we’ve identified specific guys we want who might be there now but also more likely who have decided they aren’t happy where they are after spring at their respective teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s all good my fellow GT fanatic. We are in strong agreement here. I’m happy with the hires and concerned about the depth and I do think we will see a full court press on the portal once we’ve identified specific guys we want who might be there now but also more likely who have decided they aren’t happy where they are after spring at their respective teams.
The turn around in the perception of this program has already paid dividends in our recruiting. I think putting together a highly motivated defensive staff like this means we could easily get 1/2 dozen top players out of portal.

Fun times ahead.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I think putting together a highly motivated defensive staff like this means we could easily get 1/2 dozen top players out of portal.

Fun times ahead.
Things are looking up.

Wishing Karla Souza GIF by ABC Network

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The turn around in the perception of this program has already paid dividends in our recruiting. I think putting together a highly motivated defensive staff like this means we could easily get 1/2 dozen top players out of portal.

Fun times ahead.
I would also like to think that these coaches will bring some qualified candidates suggestions for the DEF unit.If not right now then for the future (although we need them NOW.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's crazy how programs with plenty of money can replace coaches in two days. Bama and Washington both hired new coaches since Saban's retirement this week. Will Arizona have a new guy by Wednesday?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I guess I see coaching turnover kind of like player turnover now. In P5, there are top shelf programs, next level programs, and all the rest. They are successively larger groups - maybe 10, 20, and 35 or so. A subcategory of the 3rd is up and coming. We have been a next level program for most of my life. From time to time we’ve dropped into the 3rd category. I think this year we were in the up and coming group. We may have made it back to the middle group based in this year’s performance. Coaches, like good players now, tend to move in these groups. A coach for a 3rd category program will perform well and move to a next level program, and from next level to top shelf. There are outliers, of course. All to say, there are often much fewer next level coaches with credentials to move up to the top shelf, so the search is often shorter. Maybe I’m wring but it makes sense to me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coaches, like good players now, tend to move in these groups. A coach for a 3rd category program will perform well and move to a next level program, and from next level to top shelf. There are outliers, of course. All to say, there are often much fewer next level coaches with credentials to move up to the top shelf, so the search is often shorter. Maybe I’m wring but it makes sense to me.
IMO, the greatest piece of karma or irony in the whole "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is the Bill Curry move to Bama to have a better chance of winning NC's. Apparently under the advice of Coach Dodd. A few years down the road, Curry gets run out of town and his replacement at Tech wins a NC. Now I like Coach Curry and hated to see him go. And Coach Dodd was slightly before my time. I understand that he was a great FB coach but made some questionable decisions as an AD and mentor.

To quote Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, "if i ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard....There's no place like home".

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the greatest piece of karma or irony in the whole "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is the Bill Curry move to Bama to have a better chance of winning NC's. Apparently under the advice of Coach Dodd. A few years down the road, Curry gets run out of town and his replacement at Tech wins a NC. Now I like Coach Curry and hated to see him go. And Coach Dodd was slightly before my time. I understand that he was a great FB coach but made some questionable decisions as an AD and mentor.

To quote Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, "if i ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard....There's no place like home".
And Curry decided he liked “molding young men’s character” more than the high level pressure of a top level school and “fell in love” with Kentucky. I could never decide if Curry was a good coach or not. He was actually more successful than a lot of other Alabama coaches in terms of winning percentage but everybody knows why he was never going to last there.

Anyway, other than the extreme politics, Alabama is a lot easier school to coach at than Tech. But if Tech had all those resources and recruiting advantages Curry would still not be my first choice of all the coaches who have been at Tech.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And Curry decided he liked “molding young men’s character” more than the high level pressure of a top level school and “fell in love” with Kentucky. I could never decide if Curry was a good coach or not. He was actually more successful than a lot of other Alabama coaches in terms of winning percentage but everybody knows why he was never going to last there.

Anyway, other than the extreme politics, Alabama is a lot easier school to coach at than Tech. But if Tech had all those resources and recruiting advantages Curry would still not be my first choice of all the coaches who have been at Tech.
I think GT is actually a relatively easy job for a coach vs. Bama and a few other schools all things considered (especially now with P AC and AD JB). That's either in spite of the recruiting challenges (narrow curriculum) or because of them (GT fan base for the most part acknowledges them and sets realistic expectations).

Advantages? We compete in the ACC, are located in Atlanta and in the state of Georgia (fertile recruiting grounds). You win 7-8 games a year and beat Uga 1 out of 4 tries and you have a job for as long as you want it. CPJ was 3-8 against them and he is considered by most to be a GT legend. Imagine if you will a coach at Bama keeping his job going 3-8 against anyone including Uga, OSU, LSU, Clemson, etc. I don't think it would happen.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion of Curry, really outstanding person, could recruit first couple years at a new school but was too conservative in coaching style and would lose all his recruiting momentum because of it. He always left before it showed. As we know it's all about winning and that gets most of 'em at some point. Since he was pushed out at 'bama he actually left them in pretty good shape personnel wise and Stallings won a 'natty with a lot of Curry players.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think GT is actually a relatively easy job for a coach vs. Bama and a few other schools all things considered (especially now with P AC and AD JB). That's either in spite of the recruiting challenges (narrow curriculum) or because of them (GT fan base for the most part acknowledges them and sets realistic expectations).

Advantages? We compete in the ACC, are located in Atlanta and in the state of Georgia (fertile recruiting grounds). You win 7-8 games a year and beat Uga 1 out of 4 tries and you have a job for as long as you want it. CPJ was 3-8 against them and he is considered by most to be a GT legend. Imagine if you will a coach at Bama keeping his job going 3-8 against anyone including Uga, OSU, LSU, Clemson, etc. I don't think it would happen.
Agree completely. Which is why I referenced the politics of coaching at Bama.

My point was about wins. Curry did much better at Bama with better resources, recruits and players.

Agree that things should get better going forward with the support that is now coming from the administration and the AD.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
You’d expect coaches that depart when a new HC comes in to get kudos on the way out, and they did

I also wouldn’t be shocked to get a Duke transfer or two after Spring.

Peebles is solid, so I hope if anyone it’s him.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Fun times ahead.
For this upcoming season? I really, really hope you're right. We do need them badly. I wonder if any DL's at 'bama can make their way around GT for a year or two.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
For this upcoming season? I really, really hope you're right. We do need them badly. I wonder if any DL's at 'bama can make their way around GT for a year or two.
I doubt we get a DL from bama...BUT we could get the guy who was going to a P5 but the P5 took a bama player so now the almost as good DL becomes available