Potential DC for Next Year

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Our DL runs zero stunts. Not sure if the coaches don’t think the players can execute them or they simply haven’t taught the techniques needed. Seems Biggers could move a guard out into the tackle area and Harvey or Harris could loop inside of him.

slugboy

Staff member
Our DL runs zero stunts. Not sure if the coaches don’t think the players can execute them or they simply haven’t taught the techniques needed. Seems Biggers could move a guard out into the tackle area and Harvey or Harris could loop inside of him.
We ran a lot of stunts under Thacker. We did some interesting stuff. We went back to basics because we weren’t tackling.

This is one place where I hope for a lot of improvement if we go bowling—we’ve missed a ton of practice over the last four years

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We ran a lot of stunts under Thacker. We did some interesting stuff. We went back to basics because we weren’t tackling.

This is one place where I hope for a lot of improvement if we go bowling—we’ve missed a ton of practice over the last four years
Basically you are saying our players aren’t capable of running DL stunts. I sure don’t recall many. Just watching the DL get stonewalled and the LB getting lost in the mix.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan

Hopefully, a full offseason will help as well if Sherrer is the guy

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There are only so many hours of practice, and they’re prioritizing other things
So they did it before and sucked. Stopped doing it and still suck getting pressure. I get it for this game as Cuse wasn’t going to drop back their “QB”.

Doubt we try anything against UGA and Beck has all day to throw.

Can’t just sit back against superior teams and let them dictate terms. We have no chance if we just play 4 rushing straight ahead.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So they did it before and sucked. Stopped doing it and still suck getting pressure. I get it for this game as Cuse wasn’t going to drop back their “QB”.

Can’t just sit back against superior teams and let them dictate terms. We have no chance if we just play 4 rushing straight ahead.
Against the offense Syracuse was running, things like gap discipline, setting the edge, and making clean tackles are way more important than causing chaos in the backfield and pressuring the QB. Cuse ran for 392 yards last week against Pitt, a defense who only allowed over 200 rushing yards one other time this season, and that was 216 to Cincinnati.

Granted we had more time to prepare for it, but considering how Cuse absolutely torched a much better run defense last week, I think we played it pretty well and made solid adjustments. I imagine we will have a very different defensive look next week. With a bowl game already secured I bet both sides of the ball are extremely aggressive in their play calling

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

That’s what concerns me the most. The four teams that recorded at least one sack against the dwags all covered the spread and at least earned moral victories… dropping 7 or 8 into zone has gotten their opponents shredded. Hopefully we’ve got some blitzes dialed up and can get some clean hits in early.

slugboy

Staff member

Based on what do you say this?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Against the offense Syracuse was running, things like gap discipline, setting the edge, and making clean tackles are way more important than causing chaos in the backfield and pressuring the QB. Cuse ran for 392 yards last week against Pitt, a defense who only allowed over 200 rushing yards one other time this season, and that was 216 to Cincinnati.

Granted we had more time to prepare for it, but considering how Cuse absolutely torched a much better run defense last week, I think we played it pretty well and made solid adjustments. I imagine we will have a very different defensive look next week. With a bowl game already secured I bet both sides of the ball are extremely aggressive in their play calling
Great point that I had not considered. I know Key is always saying he is just focused on the next opponent, but securing a bowl bid has got to mean we have no need to be conservative and may as well take some (possibly crazy) risks against uga. I mean, if the odds of winning are only 3%, why not try some stuff we haven't tried before (assuming we have time to put in the plays/scheme)?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Based on what do you say this?
Watching our DL game after game rush without any twists or stunts and our LBs getting caught up without getting thru the opponents line. What are you watching? The Wake game was the only game we really harassed an opposing QB

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Watching our DL game after game rush without any twists or stunts and our LBs getting caught up without getting thru the opponents line. What are you watching? The Wake game was the only game we really harassed an opposing QB
Stunts and games by the defensive line aren't a quick fix and instant answer if you can't get pressure on the QB the traditional way. As @slugboy said the defensive front ran plenty of stunts with Andrew Thacker as the DC before getting demoted. We ran plenty against Miami. We ran them against Virginia. We really them against UNC. So us using that particular technique is not the problem. The issue is what it's been all season, you just don't have the talent up front. That's not to say anything disparaging about our guys but losing Keion White to the NFL hurts, losing Sylvain Yondjouen to injury hurts. If you're looking for a way to clean up the defense in a huge way you already mentioned it. TACKLING, TACKLING, TACKLING, and more TACKLING.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I will not lose sleep if Sherrer is retained. The defense arguably had a better game last night than the offense. They had solid efforts against Miami, Virginia and Syracuse. As a team we are 4-2 since letting Thacker go. UNC wasn’t an impressive defensive outing overall, but they made a few big stops in the end. Give him a whole offseason as DC, who knows?

Having said that, I don’t think the results have been mindblowingly better since Sherrer took over to just automatically give him the job. I would prefer we at least take a look elsewhere before making a long term decision.

The one caveat I’ll add is if the defense looks respectable, despite being well overmatched by Ugag and then also plays very well in the bowl game, plus having consistency over the off-season; I’d probably give him the job.
I disagree. We played a team that was completely one dimensional. I think they threw the ball downfield from the pocket once the whole game and that was a ten yard pass. It was all wildcat, tosses to men in motion and bubble screens. Yet, for some reason, we were in a soft zone with two safeties deep for most of the game. I found the defensive scheme perplexing. We should have loaded the box, played press man coverage with our corners, rotated one of the safeties up and forced their TE or RB to throw over the top of us. Regardless, we won. But I have no problem bringing in someone else.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. We played a team that was completely one dimensional. I think they threw the ball downfield from the pocket once the whole game and that was a ten yard pass. It was all wildcat, tosses to men in motion and bubble screens. Yet, for some reason, we were in a soft zone with two safeties deep for most of the game. I found the defensive scheme perplexing. We should have loaded the box, played press man coverage with our corners, rotated one of the safeties up and forced their TE or RB to throw over the top of us. Regardless, we won. But I have no problem bringing in someone else.
New Mexico State DC. Nate Dreiling. 2 yrs on the job 2022 they were ranked 127th in the nation. Finished 2022 29thin the nation 2023 stats so far they have 13 game schedule. They are ranked 28th in the country 19 points per game. 30 QB Sacks so far 11 games . He maybe looking to move to up to a power 5 conference..just throwing it out there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
New Mexico State DC. Nate Dreiling. 2 yrs on the job 2022 they were ranked 127th in the nation. Finished 2022 29thin the nation 2023 stats so far they have 13 game schedule. They are ranked 28th in the country 19 points per game. 30 QB Sacks so far 11 games . He maybe looking to move to up to a power 5 conference..just throwing it out there.
They certainly controlled Auburn the whole game last weekend. This is a solid idea. I would imagine New Mexico State is not an easy place to recruit to, so maximizing the talent on hand must be how they achieved this level of success.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Stunts and games by the defensive line aren't a quick fix and instant answer if you can't get pressure on the QB the traditional way. As @slugboy said the defensive front ran plenty of stunts with Andrew Thacker as the DC before getting demoted. We ran plenty against Miami. We ran them against Virginia. We really them against UNC. So us using that particular technique is not the problem. The issue is what it's been all season, you just don't have the talent up front. That's not to say anything disparaging about our guys but losing Keion White to the NFL hurts, losing Sylvain Yondjouen to injury hurts. If you're looking for a way to clean up the defense in a huge way you already mentioned it. TACKLING, TACKLING, TACKLING, and more TACKLING.

Whatever we did this week to get our LBs on the tackling stat sheet is what we should do. Having 3 safeties lead the tackling stats and the first LB on the list being a RS freshman is not a formula for success. With all eleven playing D this past week we looked like a real D. Let our DC do his thing as he seems to have some meaningful thoughts. Agree with the TACKLING!