Potential DC for Next Year

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
A Miss. State DC who then got a HC job succeeding a legendary offensive mastermind HC who then took the offense in a wildly different direction to no success? That's not working for ya? Feeling too familiar? Yeah.

Definitely sounds familiar. But this is slightly different. This time we aren't talking about HC. Sounds like he may know what he's doing on the defensive side. Hard to ignore someone who has allegedly been interviewed by the likes of Oregon, LSU and Texas when their DC jobs were open.

Doubt he would come here but I wouldn't complain if Key picked up the phone and at least kicked the tires.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If our defense shows up Saturday and we win, I am in for Sherrer, provided a no brainer, home run hire lands on our doorstep.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Do you have any idea what Chris Weinke and Kevin Sheerer did before Tech hired them? Because they were apart of no coaching staffs. Lol you think he has no other options as a 5x Champion and top DC at one point? He didn’t forget how to coach defense
Don't know much about him one way or another, but found this:

From the article:
It'll be a long time before Jeremy Pruitt returns to college football in a coaching capacity.

The former Tennessee football coach was handed a six-year show-cause penalty for his role in the recruiting scandal that got him and nine of his staffers fired for cause on Jan. 18, 2021.

A show-cause penalty means a university cannot hire a coach or recruiter without being subject to penalties during the length of the ban unless the NCAA signs off. If Pruitt seeks employment or affiliation with any athletically related position at an NCAA member institution in the next six years, the employing institution is required to contact the Committee on Infractions "to show cause why restrictions on all athletically related activity should not apply."

Eli

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
It'll be a long time before Jeremy Pruitt returns to college football in a coaching capacity.

The former Tennessee football coach was handed a six-year show-cause penalty for his role in the recruiting scandal that got him and nine of his staffers fired for cause on Jan. 18, 2021.

A show-cause penalty means a university cannot hire a coach or recruiter without being subject to penalties during the length of the ban unless the NCAA signs off. If Pruitt seeks employment or affiliation with any athletically related position at an NCAA member institution in the next six years, the employing institution is required to contact the Committee on Infractions "to show cause why restrictions on all athletically related activity should not apply."

Is being a PE coach showing rehabilitation? Ha

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

From the article:

Could he be hired as an analyst?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Could he be hired as an analyst?
Don't know. The article says the restriction on his hiring is as a "coach or recruiter", but with his track record, another question would be whether his employer would trust him to stay within the lines.
Sounds like a potential bag of trouble to me. He was up to his neck in recruiting violations at UT.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Don't know. The article says the restriction on his hiring is as a "coach or recruiter", but with his track record, another question would be whether his employer would trust him to stay within the lines.
Sounds like a potential bag of trouble to me. He was up to his neck in recruiting violations at UT.
Most of what he did then is legal now right? I’d be very inclined to take a chance on the guy, helluva def coordinator and bonus he probably hates uga even more than we do

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Most of what he did then is legal now right? I’d be very inclined to take a chance on the guy, helluva def coordinator and bonus he probably hates uga even more than we do
I guess, but there are plenty of other rules he could violate. There's always the blurring of the line twixt "analyst" and "coach". But the only time he did it (or got caught) was as UT's HC, so if he could skirt under the restriction and if it could be assured we could somehow keep an eye on him, then maybe.

He'd bring a lot of baggage, though. Probably best to just get somebody with a clean record IMO. There are plenty of good young and hungry coaches out there in G-5 land who would jump at the chance, if indeed we need another DC.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think he should be considered. Key knows him well enough to learn if he is truly remorseful about what happened and realizes the severity of the consequences of what will happen if he breaks any rules once again . If Key thinks he is worth hiring, I have no problem with him coming. Could be a real game changer for us.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I guess, but there are plenty of other rules he could violate. There's always the blurring of the line twixt "analyst" and "coach". But the only time he did it (or got caught) was as UT's HC, so if he could skirt under the restriction and if it could be assured we could somehow keep an eye on him, then maybe.

He'd bring a lot of baggage, though. Probably best to just get somebody with a clean record IMO. There are plenty of good young and hungry coaches out there in G-5 land who would jump at the chance, if indeed we need another DC.
That analyst/coaching blurring thing is going on everywhere