Potential DC for Next Year

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
One odd thing it seems to me is that much of our offensive production is coming from transfers. But at the same time we lost our most talented defensive players the same way, particularly our pass rushers.
Off the top of my head I would say most of our offensive and defensive production comes from transfers

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to agree it wasn't really ever a DC problem. The DC just became everyone's scapegoat/target. That said, our tackling is still an issue, imho.

And I'm curious to hear your thoughts on our seemingly having a hard time signaling in the defensive call? Not arguing, genuinely seeking others' thoughts. Seems we're always having guys looking to the sideline asking for something right before the snap. Then having free receivers running downfield follows shortly thereafter. I can't imagine the two are unrelated.

In the 4th, I saw our S literally sprint to the line to physically drag a defender off the line and pushed him to a total other position before the snap.
What gives?
I think we have a Jimmy and Joe's problem but we also have a coaching problem cause we are not getting the calls and lining up properly. Throughout the entire game the players on D were lost before almost every snap scrambling around trying to figure out where to get lined up, yelling at each other and at the sidelines, throwing their hands in the air looking around, and pushing and pulling each other around the field. We left guys wide open in the passing game all night which I think is a result of the players scrambling around trying to figure out their assignments up until the ball is snapped. That is all on the coaches. If the players are not good enough to figure out the new play calling methods then the coaches need to simplify things and make it easier on the players.

That being said this may have been the first game that I think we actually made adjustments mid game to counter what the other team was doing. With the way we were getting gashed at the beginning of the game I thought we were done, but they adjusted and really slowed down the run the rest of the game. I also know that Key knows the way the plays were called in was not working Saturday and I am sure that will be a major focus this week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof is currently making $1+ million DC'ing for Oklahoma. They have a top 5 defense. Even if we wanted him to come back to GT, he's probably not coming unless GT decides to make him the highest paid assistant in GT history.
The defense that just gave up 38 to Kansas including allowing a late TD drive to lose the game because he favors “bend but don’t break”? No thanks.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Off the top of my head I would say most of our offensive and defensive production comes from transfers
On offense Malik Rutherford, Eric Singleton, Dontae, Jamal, Dylan Leonard (PWO originally?), Avery Boyd, Weston Franklin, Jordan Williams, Ethan Mackenny, Joe Fusile (PWO?) and Aidan Birr all got here out of HS. Most of the rest of the production on offense is coming from transfers like Haynes King, Leary, Blaylock, Cooley, Seither, Benson, and Scaglione. Oh I think I should also have mentioned Jakiah Leftwich out of HS.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We just don't have any dogs on defense. You got to have to have 3 or 4 headhunters that love to bring the pain. We got zilch in this category. In addition to that we don't have any guys that are alpha dogs and will look you in the eye and tell you they are going to kick your *** if you don't do your job. We've had a few over the years. My favorite was Matt Uremovich but Lucious Sanford, Pat Swilling, Marco Coleman, PJ Harris, Julian Burnett, Keith Brooking and Joe Anoi, were that type of player, just to name a few. Hard to believe we don't have at least one. Got to find and develop some tough, physical defensive players and do it fast if we want to progress on defense.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Offensively that would only be because of Haynes King being the QB. Jamal Haynes is the leading RB in yards, and Dontae and Dickens combined have the same number of yards as Cooley. Our top two WR are Singleton and Rutherford by a pretty good margin. Kicking is all homegrown.

On defense, our top 5 tacklers are all homegrown. 7 of 13 sacks, 6 of 8 INTs and 3 of 7 FF are from homegrown guys.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Anybody have any names that we should be looking for that we can afford?
I believe we need to hire a proven 3-3-5 guru and let him bring in all his own assistants, that scheme would allow us to recruit fewer DT’s and with the right coach who can really teach it and make adjustments on the fly give us a unique schematic advantage.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I believe we need to hire a proven 3-3-5 guru and let him bring in all his own assistants, that scheme would allow us to recruit fewer DT’s and with the right coach who can really teach it and make adjustments on the fly give us a unique schematic advantage.
I don’t know if we tried but Tony White was the cuse dc and he ran a cool 3-3-5, but was hired by Nebraska.

One interesting name is Zach Arnett, who was the man before White was hired but went to MSU instead. Coached under current Cuse DC Rocky Long, also a 3-3-5 guy.
There are rumblings that since his buyout is only 4.5 million he may be fired this season. I’m sure he would be a hot commodity but would be a great choice if he gets the axe,

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good grief guys. It's obviously not a coaching problem. Did you watch the freaking game? Our DL got manhandled. The best DC in the freaking universe couldn't solve that. Get over you whining.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Good grief guys. It's obviously not a coaching problem. Did you watch the freaking game? Our DL got manhandled. The best DC in the freaking universe couldn't solve that. Get over you whining.
Did you watch the game? Did you not see the multiple times the D was looking towards the sidelines without a call and in confusion? That is 100% a coaching problem

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Offensively that would only be because of Haynes King being the QB. Jamal Haynes is the leading RB in yards, and Dontae and Dickens combined have the same number of yards as Cooley. Our top two WR are Singleton and Rutherford by a pretty good margin. Kicking is all homegrown.

On defense, our top 5 tacklers are all homegrown. 7 of 13 sacks, 6 of 8 INTs and 3 of 7 FF are from homegrown guys.
In FBS games King is our leading rusher (and was our leading rusher in 3 of 7 of those games).

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Why can’t it be both? Just like our offense had some holes last season but also could use a new coordinator/fresh eyes. That has already paid dividends.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you watch the game? Did you not see the multiple times the D was looking towards the sidelines without a call and in confusion? That is 100% a coaching problem
LMAO. If that was the only problem, I would be delighted. We desperately need an upgrade at DL and LB. Great DL make DC look great. Opposite is true.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
LMAO. If that was the only problem, I would be delighted. We desperately need an upgrade at DL and LB. Great DL make DC look great. Opposite is true.
Never said it was the only problem but it's a lot easier to get calls in on time than find upgrades at DL mid season