Potential DC for Next Year

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Good grief guys. It's obviously not a coaching problem. Did you watch the freaking game? Our DL got manhandled. The best DC in the freaking universe couldn't solve that. Get over you whining.
This ^^^^^*^**^^^.

Not to mention our DBs were running two steps behind their receivers every time we were in man coverage.

On the bright side, I don’t recall too many missed tackles, so gotta give some credit there.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This ^^^^^*^**^^^.

Not to mention our DBs were running two steps behind their receivers every time we were in man coverage.

On the bright side, I don’t recall too many missed tackles, so gotta give some credit there.
Yeah the poor tackling before the DC change WAS a coaching problem. That is much better now. The DB can only stay with a reciever for so long. No pressure on the QB puts them at a huge disadvantage.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the poor tackling before the DC change WAS a coaching problem. That is much better now. The DB can only stay with a reciever for so long. No pressure on the QB puts them at a huge disadvantage.
Absolutely agree Maye had too much time and they found holes in the secondary. That hit on Transfer Tez and fumble was the difference in the outcome. Neither team played good defense. Almost one of those games where whoever had the ball last would win. Really good to see Dontae have a great game and he made some key yardage runs when we needed them.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dontae Smith, a senior running back who has been around the program longer than almost any current player, had a night to remember Saturday.

Playing in front of former Tech coach Paul Johnson, who had recruited Smith to come play for the Jackets as a freshman in 2018, Smith ran for 178 on 22 carries – an average of 8.1 yards per carry. It was a surprising performance for the 5-foot-11, 198-pound back who only had 61 yards on 13 carries this season.

Key said the reason for Smith’s absence in the running game through the last five games (Smith had 12 carries for 50 yards in the first two contests of the year) would be kept in house, although he made it known Smith was under no disciplinary or injury restrictions. Key and Smith both said after the win they found each other amidst the see of fans who had rushed the field to share an embrace.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of No. 4,” Key said.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dontae Smith, a senior running back who has been around the program longer than almost any current player, had a night to remember Saturday.

Playing in front of former Tech coach Paul Johnson, who had recruited Smith to come play for the Jackets as a freshman in 2018, Smith ran for 178 on 22 carries – an average of 8.1 yards per carry. It was a surprising performance for the 5-foot-11, 198-pound back who only had 61 yards on 13 carries this season.

Key said the reason for Smith’s absence in the running game through the last five games (Smith had 12 carries for 50 yards in the first two contests of the year) would be kept in house, although he made it known Smith was under no disciplinary or injury restrictions. Key and Smith both said after the win they found each other amidst the see of fans who had rushed the field to share an embrace.

Attitude adjustment maybe??? Whatever changed, I'm all for it.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Poor tackling was probably because Thack felt the best chance for our D to get stops was through strip fumbles and had them focus on that.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer

Now keep playing him if you want to make a bowl. The guy doesn’t belong on the bench.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good grief guys. It's obviously not a coaching problem. Did you watch the freaking game? Our DL got manhandled. The best DC in the freaking universe couldn't solve that. Get over you whining.

I tend to agree it wasn't really ever a DC problem. The DC just became everyone's scapegoat/target. That said, our tackling is still an issue, imho.

And I'm curious to hear your thoughts on our seemingly having a hard time signaling in the defensive call? Not arguing, genuinely seeking others' thoughts. Seems we're always having guys looking to the sideline asking for something right before the snap. Then having free receivers running downfield follows shortly thereafter. I can't imagine the two are unrelated.

In the 4th, I saw our S literally sprint to the line to physically drag a defender off the line and pushed him to a total other position before the snap.
What gives?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Go pay Jeremy Pruitt, the dude can coach and recruit real defensive talent. He had his issues with the rules, but great news: it’s all legal now!
He’s under a show-cause order through 2029 or something like that. If he takes a job at a school he is automatically suspended for a year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shane Bowen is the DC for the Tennessee Titans. His defense is very, very aggressive and gave the Falcon’s fits today. I doubt we could afford him, but who knows, their whole staff could be out of a job at the end of the year in the NFL.

He's got a heck of story. Most of us know some of it, but the total story from college GA to NFL DC is pretty cool. Bowen sounds like he's in line for a HC position somewhere so he's probably outgrown college DC at a smaller P5 school.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
We need linebackers bad.
Defense looked pretty good last year with good LB’s. Let the season finish out and let’s see if we need to make a coaching change. IMO we needs more studs on defense and it will be fine.

Ted Roof did a great job the one year he was at Penn St. He’s a very good DC but you have to have the studs.