Postseason Chances?

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lots of bubble teams lost yesterday. Tenn, Clemson, Pitt, K St, TCU, Bama, NW, Marquette. If we can pull off the road win tonight we are right back on the cuff.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So if we beat ND twice, does that count as 2 top 50 wins or 1 since it's the same team?

That would put us at 5 top 50 wins...but our RPI is just attrocious. I think winning at least 2 to close out the regular season (with ND one of the two) and winning one in the ACCT gives us a 50/50 chance. Anything less than that and we're probably NIT bound.

Gotta win today. Man, the VT and NC State games REALLY hurt us. Could be sitting pretty right now.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So if we beat ND twice, does that count as 2 top 50 wins or 1 since it's the same team?

That would put us at 5 top 50 wins...but our RPI is just attrocious. I think winning at least 2 to close out the regular season (with ND one of the two) and winning one in the ACCT gives us a 50/50 chance. Anything less than that and we're probably NIT bound.

Gotta win today. Man, the VT and NC State games REALLY hurt us. Could be sitting pretty right now.
It would count as 2 which would be huge. Also, road wins are worth 2x points for RPI so a road win would be a big boost to RPI. 2 road wins would lock us in I believe.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It would count as 2 which would be huge. Also, road wins are worth 2x points for RPI so a road win would be a big boost to RPI. 2 road wins would lock us in I believe.

I don't think so from what I've seen. RPI formula is stupid. It's .25 (your winning percentage) X .50 (opponents winning percentage) X .25 (opponents opponents winning percentage).

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so from what I've seen. RPI formula is stupid. It's .25 (your winning percentage) X .50 (opponents winning percentage) X .25 (opponents opponents winning percentage).

Your formula is correct but the formula's winning percentage is calculated as follows:

For Division 1 NCAA Men's basketball, home win now counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss. A neutral game counts as 1 win or 1 loss.
(edited from Wikipedia)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The caveat is "your winning percentage" is weighted based on location. A road win counts as 1.4 wins. A home win counts as .6 wins. A neutral site win counts as 1 win. Conversely, a road loss is only a .6 loss. Losing at home to NC State was a 1.4 loss.

Only "your winning percentage" carries the weighting factor, not your opponents record nor your opponents' opponents record.

http://rpiratings.com/WhatisRPI.php

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Your formula is correct but the formula's winning percentage is calculated as follows:

For Division 1 NCAA Men's basketball, home win now counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss. A neutral game counts as 1 win or 1 loss.
(edited from Wikipedia)

Nice. Didn't know that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The caveat is "your winning percentage" is weighted based on location. A road win counts as 1.4 wins. A home win counts as .6 wins. A neutral site win counts as 1 win. Conversely, a road loss is only a .6 loss. Losing at home to NC State was a 1.4 loss.

Only "your winning percentage" carries the weighting factor, not your opponents record nor your opponents' opponents record.

http://rpiratings.com/WhatisRPI.php

This is wht i'm a big fan of the idea of playing at least 1 lower Div 1 team on the road rather than at him. Due to the weighting, you end up getting more credit for beating them on the road and that helps your RPI.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Every game is a must win. We cant affrod to take any games off or settle for any losses.
One thing I'll say about this team is they don't take games off. Hell, just the lack of not quitting during a game has made me a Pastner fan this season. These guys play wire to wire. I understand all the discussions about all the things we don't have (depth, etc), but we're about 2x or 3x in the "heart" category.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think we played so far over our heads this year that we have raised hopes beyond reason. Irrational exuberance has infected our fan base. I will root hard for GT because I can see the hard work and passion/effort.

But I fear 2 and possibly even 3 losses in our next three games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA has probably gotten themselves to the 5 spot in the SEC by beating all the other middle of the pack SEC teams. They should beat Auburn at home and then it comes down to a road game at ARK. Win that and I think they get a bid.

They only have 1 Top 50 win (against Vandy), but they have beaten most of the lesser teams in the conference and eventually the committee has to have 68 teams.

i think any team with less than 13 losses right now still has a shot depending upon how they finish.

I'm not sure they are quite that close, but they probably aren't off by much now. This is another impact of alot of bubble teams losing - someone has to take their place.

JJ Frasier has been playing out of his mind since Maten went down, 36, 29, and 29 the last 3 games.