Postseason Chances?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Am I actually going to have to pull for ugag against Bama...since Bama is a bubble team? ugh
Situations like this, and Duke last night, is when I remind myself that my rooting for a sports outcome has zero effect on that outcome.

Therefore, I always root for UGA or Duke to lose by fifty and have their starting lineup and head coaches kicked out for intentional and technical fouls so they are suspended the next game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It was like when I was making my bowl pickem at work. I knew TCU was terrible and I could have made some money had I put my confidence points on uga but I couldn’t stand the thought of any part of me rooting for uga so 38 confidence points got thrown on TCU and I lost $20.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
It was like when I was making my bowl pickem at work. I knew TCU was terrible and I could have made some money had I put my confidence points on uga but I couldn’t stand the thought of any part of me rooting for uga so 38 confidence points got thrown on TCU and I lost $20.

Lol. You just don't know how badly I want to get back to the big dance!

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. Katz said he talked to CJP, who apparently said we need 1 of 3 to deserve to be in. Lunardi said he'd maybe agree if we'd have beaten NC State. Then went on to say we probably need 2 more in total.
well thats good to hear. I was thinking 3 more but hey i'm not complaining if we get in with two more. haha.

Deleted member 2897

Thought this was an interesting article by a Pitt writer basically saying 68 teams is too many for the NCAA Tourney and they should cut back. Also makes an argument in favor of strong mid majors over middle of the pack P5 type programs

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...t-projections-paul-zeise/stories/201702230166

While I love his Trump-esque title, I have to disagree with many points.

He specifically points out Syracuse as being undeserving of being in the tournament. That's exactly what was said last year - and then they made the Final Four.

He points out UNC-Wilmington at 24-5 as being worthy. How? Not only are they winless against top 50 teams, but they have only played 1 top 50 team ever. You can't just look at a team's record. We would go 30-0 if we played Tusculum 30 times. 20 of Wilmington's 28 opponents are ranked outside the top 100. (By way of comparison, Georgia Tech has only played 9 that deep.) Now granted you can't really control your conference opponents, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to schedule better out of conference opponents. There are plenty of mid-majors who make it every year and they do it by also going 24-5...but by playing P5 opponents along the way.

He seems offended he has to discuss Pittsburgh, Clemson, and others. THEN DONT DISCUSS THEM. Those teams will never get in. Their records against ranked and top 50 opponents is horrid. They are both 4-11 in conference play. They will not get in. So stop talking about them if it bothers you that much.

The NCAA Tournament has a long and great tradition of mixing in tons of P5 teams with 15-20 mid major teams, several of which upset teams along the way...and usually a couple make the Sweet 16 each year. If you were to cut the field from 64 down to 32, sure you'd cut out a lot of P5 teams, but you would do even more damage to these mid major teams. There's only 5 non-P5 teams in the top 20. You'd leave yourself with only a small handful of mid majors in the entire tournament...or else you'd have to put in genuinely worse teams just for the sake of doing so.

I think he contradicts himself without knowing he is. If he truly thinks that teams like North Carolina, Florida State, and Duke are highly rated teams worth of tournament nods, then he can't at the same time say that teams which beat those are all sad and trash. Virginia has spent most of this year ranked in the Top 10, but they're only in 9th place in the ACC at 8-7. Speaking of Syracuse again, Syracuse has a better record in ACC play than does Virginia. Syracuse is 3-3 against ranked teams, 3-3 against 26-50, and 3-3 against 51-100. If that doesn't say 'I belong here', I don't know what does. Thats why you can't just look at the record - they have 12 losses because they've played so many tough teams. UNC Wilimington has played nobody...and didn't even try.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Updated bubble watch from ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Georgia Tech [16-12 (7-8), RPI: 87, SOS: 53] It's hard to get too mad about much with this team. Yes, losing at home to NC State -- a team which had lost its previous seven games, usually by a lot, and which didn't even wait until March to can its coach, Mark Gottfried -- is, you know, bad. But the fact that we are talking about an unfortunate home loss for Georgia Tech in Josh Pastner's first season as a matter of grave import because of how it will affect the Yellow Jackets' situation on the cut line is already a preposterous success. Tech might make the tourney, it may not; it's probably going to be close. Either way, it's all gravy.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
While I love his Trump-esque title, I have to disagree with many points.

He specifically points out Syracuse as being undeserving of being in the tournament. That's exactly what was said last year - and then they made the Final Four.

He points out UNC-Wilmington at 24-5 as being worthy. How? Not only are they winless against top 50 teams, but they have only played 1 top 50 team ever. You can't just look at a team's record. We would go 30-0 if we played Tusculum 30 times. 20 of Wilmington's 28 opponents are ranked outside the top 100. (By way of comparison, Georgia Tech has only played 9 that deep.) Now granted you can't really control your conference opponents, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to schedule better out of conference opponents. There are plenty of mid-majors who make it every year and they do it by also going 24-5...but by playing P5 opponents along the way.

He seems offended he has to discuss Pittsburgh, Clemson, and others. THEN DONT DISCUSS THEM. Those teams will never get in. Their records against ranked and top 50 opponents is horrid. They are both 4-11 in conference play. They will not get in. So stop talking about them if it bothers you that much.

The NCAA Tournament has a long and great tradition of mixing in tons of P5 teams with 15-20 mid major teams, several of which upset teams along the way...and usually a couple make the Sweet 16 each year. If you were to cut the field from 64 down to 32, sure you'd cut out a lot of P5 teams, but you would do even more damage to these mid major teams. There's only 5 non-P5 teams in the top 20. You'd leave yourself with only a small handful of mid majors in the entire tournament...or else you'd have to put in genuinely worse teams just for the sake of doing so.

I think he contradicts himself without knowing he is. If he truly thinks that teams like North Carolina, Florida State, and Duke are highly rated teams worth of tournament nods, then he can't at the same time say that teams which beat those are all sad and trash. Virginia has spent most of this year ranked in the Top 10, but they're only in 9th place in the ACC at 8-7. Speaking of Syracuse again, Syracuse has a better record in ACC play than does Virginia. Syracuse is 3-3 against ranked teams, 3-3 against 26-50, and 3-3 against 51-100. If that doesn't say 'I belong here', I don't know what does. Thats why you can't just look at the record - they have 12 losses because they've played so many tough teams. UNC Wilimington has played nobody...and didn't even try.
I think Syracuse making the Final Four last year actually provides a good argument as to why there are too many teams. They shouldn't have been there in the first place. They easily have the talent to make a run to the final four every year but they didn't do much during the season to prove they were a top team. You could go ahead and throw Alabama in the football playoffs every year no matter how many losses they have because every year they have the talent to be a Top 4 team. Who actually cares how many games they win beforehand? Kentucky could go 14-16 and still be a Top 4 team win it matters most just due to talent alone. Hell you could go ahead and throw NC State in the tournament this year and I'd give them better odds of reaching the final 4 than 75% of the teams in there. I'm not personally saying to reduce the number of teams because I find pure entertainment out of it, which is exactly why there are so many teams. It's far and away the most unfair postseason in sports IMO.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
next year we should be a slightly better team than this year, and we will come into the season playing better than this year. OOC should be much better and if we go 9-9 or 10-8 in ACC play next year we will be dancing. I'm trying to be happy with the NIT this year, but I would love to win out and finish 19-13 after the ACC tourney.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Syracuse making the Final Four last year actually provides a good argument as to why there are too many teams. They shouldn't have been there in the first place. They easily have the talent to make a run to the final four every year but they didn't do much during the season to prove they were a top team. You could go ahead and throw Alabama in the football playoffs every year no matter how many losses they have because every year they have the talent to be a Top 4 team. Who actually cares how many games they win beforehand? Kentucky could go 14-16 and still be a Top 4 team win it matters most just due to talent alone. Hell you could go ahead and throw NC State in the tournament this year and I'd give them better odds of reaching the final 4 than 75% of the teams in there. I'm not personally saying to reduce the number of teams because I find pure entertainment out of it, which is exactly why there are so many teams. It's far and away the most unfair postseason in sports IMO.

Isn't BAMA "no matter how many losses" just UGA?