Postseason Chances?

Deleted member 2897

I don't want any part of Duke in acc. They are a terrible match up for us. Pitt is a must win! Get some rest today boys and get that W Tuesday.

Tuesday is a Goldout, in other words how it should be at every sport in every home game. If the fans execute correctly, it will be an amazing treat to the eyes...and again, how it should be every game. I just really feel sad already for whoever shoots the first airball for Pittsburgh.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer

This guy has 7 bubble teams (Wake, URI, Kansas St., UGA, Vandy, TCU and Texas Tech) out of the field and listed before GT who he has as his first team in "Need a miracle finish at this point..."

He also has Illinois in the field.

Deleted member 2897

TBF, he does have them on his "Needs a miracle" list.

Yea, but in the case of Clemson, the only way they make it is by winning the ACC Tournament. So if that's the case, then every team in the country can be on a 'needs a miracle' list.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we are in the NCAAT if we're the #9 seed. Not because of our seeding, but because of what that implies about our overall record.

Tomorrow may be the most important game of the season. Win and we're probably assured of at least a NIT invitation. We also keep our NCAA hope alive. Lose and the likelihood of no postseason after so much progress will be terribly deflating.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson is ahead of GT in the USA Today's projection:

LINK

I thought the 12th conference loss did them in for most of these. Funny.

What's really funny is that they at the top state that Clemson has signature wins: "The Demon Deacons (16-12, 7-9) have a much better record in the ACC than bubble teams Clemson and Pittsburgh. But unlike those teams they don’t really have any signature victories" Wake Forest has a #45 RPI, is 0-7 against ranked teams and is 6-12 against the top 100. Clemson's RPI at 61 is much worse, they are also 0-7 against ranked teams, and are 9-13 against the top 100. What really is the difference? All of Clemson's wins they list as 'good' are against other bubble teams or teams off the bubble. Its ridiculous. They are 14-14 and might not even qualify for the NIT. If they split their last 2 home games and lose in the first round of the ACC Tournament, they're 15-16. Best case scenario is they win out and win twice in the ACC Tournament, however unlikely that sounds. That gets them to 18-15. And 3 of those next 4 games would be against teams with RPIs that average 75 (NC State, Boston College, then ACC Tournament), so none of those would be quality wins either.

I don't see how any of the ACC's "out for now"s in that article have any chance unless they win out the rest of the season and win at least 2 games in the ACC Tournament. I guess people just think the ACC is so amazingly fantastic this year (which it is) that they are willing to throw out all the usual rules for teams in our conference. But they need to be ready to explain why RPIs don't matter and why a team with a bunch of close losses is different this year compared to every other year. Last year we went 18-14 in the regular season, 8-10 in the ACC in a year where the conference absolutely and historically dominated the NCAA Tournament. And we got no real consideration for the NCAA Tournament. And, we lost 6 games by 5 or less points in games like @Louisville, @Syracuse, home versus Louisville, Virginia Tech, @Pitt, etc. I would be interested to hear from them why this year is so different - last year the ACC got 7 teams in.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And, we lost 6 games by 5 or less points in games like @Louisville, @Syracuse, home versus Louisville, Virginia Tech, @Pitt, etc. I would be interested to hear from them why this year is so different - last year the ACC got 7 teams in.
Did we play at Pitt while I was having my 3rd glass of Woodfords this weekend? And lost?

BTW, we have three ACC losses by less than five points. I have not looked at everyone, but that seems about normal for teams in the middle of the standings.

Deleted member 2897

Did we play at Pitt while I was having my 3rd glass of Woodfords this weekend? And lost?

BTW, we have three ACC losses by less than five points. I have not looked at everyone, but that seems about normal for teams in the middle of the standings.

I was talking about last year. Last year we finished the regular season at 18-14 (8-10 in the ACC) and had a lot of close losses. The ACC was the best college basketball conference and had another great year in the NCAA Tournament. Yet despite all of that, only 7 teams got bids into the NCAA Tournament. What I'm saying is that I don't believe all the hype that these teams in spots 10/11/12/13 this year are actually on the bubble. I don't think they will get in. Because if they do, it will have to be because they went by a completely different formula than they ever have before. Maybe it will be different this year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If Syracuse goes on a run, maybe they end up team #9, but if I had to bet money today I'd say only 8 bids for the ACC this year. Call me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about last year. Last year we finished the regular season at 18-14 (8-10 in the ACC) and had a lot of close losses. The ACC was the best college basketball conference and had another great year in the NCAA Tournament. Yet despite all of that, only 7 teams got bids into the NCAA Tournament. What I'm saying is that I don't believe all the hype that these teams in spots 10/11/12/13 this year are actually on the bubble. I don't think they will get in. Because if they do, it will have to be because they went by a completely different formula than they ever have before. Maybe it will be different this year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The main reason is that they have to put somebody on the bubble. The conferences just below the 6 majors that usually are multi-bid leagues have few teams with much of a resume. The American, Atlantic 10, Mountain West could be 2,2, and 1 bid leagues, respectively, if there aren't many upsets in their tournaments. If that's the case all of these marginal major conference teams, like GT, have a shot.

The other reason is that it gets people like us to read the articles.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse.com Bubble watch: Georgetown, Georgia Tech don't help Syracuse basketball (March 1)
Georgia Tech 61, Pittsburgh 52: The Yellow Jackets rallied to outscore the Panthers 14-6 down the stretch after a Jamel Artis' 3-point play gave Pitt a momentary lead. Ben Lammers (remember him?) was terrific in the second half, when he scored 15 of his 20 points to lead Georgia Tech, which is aiming for a .500 record and chance to reach the NCAA Tournament with a win over Syracuse on Saturday and a sweep of the 2017 series.

Article also includes tonight's bubble games to watch. Several relevant games tip at 9pm ET.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Really would have liked to have seen PSU put the final nail in Ohio States coffin last night.

Northwestern is crapping it down their leg right now along with TCU who just rand into a hell of a part of their schedule.

I think we need to keep an eye on Marquette. They need to go 0-2 against @Xavier and home vs Creighton this week