Postseason Chances?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The biggest games IMO that are going to keep us out are 1. losing to VT on the road (we had that one) 2. losing multiple games early in the year against teams that we would probably beat now (Tenn, UGA, Penn State, and Ohio). Win 2 of those and win the VT game and our record would be 16-7, and we could go 3-4 from here on and still easily get in the tournament with a 19-11 record, but we can't replay the games, so we have to live with our record. I'd still be really proud of this team fro making the NIT this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Check the ACC standings and then refer back to the official acc.com preseason predictions. There are several serious misses beside picking GT near the bottom:

1. Duke (85) - 1359
2. North Carolina (6) - 1239
3. Virginia - 1125
4. Louisville - 1034
5. Syracuse - 905
6. NC State - 772
7. Notre Dame - 716
8. Florida State - 705
9. Miami - 650
10. Virginia Tech - 645
11. Clemson - 623
12. Pitt - 511
13. Wake Forest - 309
14. Georgia Tech - 199
15. Boston College – 128

When I look back at the expectations we and others had for this team, even the NIT will be a huge lift for everyone.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When I look back at the expectations we and others had for this team, even the NIT will be a huge lift for everyone.

This. I would have been happy to just win 1 ACC game to shut Rothstein up. The fact that we're even discussing the Dance is awesome to me. I want the Dance, but if it's the NIT, I'd be more than happy about this season.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
While RPI isn't a great metric, it still matters on Selection Sunday this year.

Here's a snapshot of the ACC before tonight's games. GT is #77.

upload_2017-2-9_14-17-22.png

Source: http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_acc_Men.html

Prior to last year's tournament (and not sure anything changed last year):
Lowest RPI to get an at-large bid:
• 67 - USC (2011)
• 64 - Marquette (2011)
• 63 - North Carolina State (2005), Stanford (2007)
Source: NCAA Tournament RPI numbers to know through the years

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Basically these next 4 games are our tournament resume. We win 4 in a row and we should be in without having to worry about too much of an upset (though we've proven we can deliver on these.) We should beat BC and NCSU at home. Syracuse is as much of a wild card as we are but hopefully we can get the dome rocking. That leaves a road trip to Miami (where we won by 20 points last time we player there on our way to a 3-15 acc season - ugh) We should be able to beat that team we just have to play our game. That gets us to 9 ACC wins, then we need to grab one @ND, home against Pitt(most likely win), or at Syracuse to get to 10. FWIW, this part of our schedule was supposed to be where our 1 ACC win this year was going to come from if we even won a game. I say if we get the next 4 (and I'm not saying it's going to be easy) we can dust off the dancing shoes but fall short of that and we will have some trouble.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to note we are what I would assume to be the highest 11 given who the other 11s are playin. Maybe I'm reading that wrong though

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think still being projected to make it in also reflects how much traction Tech's story has had in the media. Remember the tourney is in part about "cinderella stories."
I've heard this statement before but am looking for something to back it up. I know everyone likes Cinderella once the tourney starts. One notable exception to Cinderella getting in the tournament was just last year - Monmouth.

Folks should really pay attention to Bracketmatrix which aggregates tournament projections from 50 sources or so. On the average, GT is on the outside looking in right now.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
While RPI isn't a great metric, it still matters on Selection Sunday this year.

I've never thought that RPI was determinative in getting into the tournament. A minimum number of wins has seemed to be a bigger factor for major conference teams. In years gone by, it seems like its 19 wins some years, 2o in others.

20 win majors with lower RPIs have gotten in with 18 win majors having higher RPIs left out. I believe the higher win numbers--posted with the selections on CBS--look good and subject the committee to less criticism. CBS doesn't post RPIs.

I believe that RPIs do matter with seeding. But you have to get in for the RPI to matter.

I just hope we can find the 3 or 4 more wins I think it will take to get into the NIT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I've never thought that RPI was determinative in getting into the tournament. A minimum number of wins has seemed to be a bigger factor for major conference teams. In years gone by, it seems like its 19 wins some years, 2o in others.

20 win majors with lower RPIs have gotten in with 18 win majors having higher RPIs left out. I believe the higher win numbers--posted with the selections on CBS--look good and subject the committee to less criticism. CBS doesn't post RPIs.

I believe that RPIs do matter with seeding. But you have to get in for the RPI to matter.

I just hope we can find the 3 or 4 more wins I think it will take to get into the NIT.

They go hand in hand.

Recently Drexel went 29-7 (11-12) and didn't get in

Same with St. Mary's.......last year? At 29-6