Postseason Chances?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm actually confused by the outright Wake > Syracuse argument.

Wake has 3 top 50 RPI wins. Syracuse has 6. A lot of projections and past committees have valued top wins. In this "it's not even close category", Syracuse's resume is stronger. Also Syracuse beat Wake H2H.

Wake's RPI is built on playing no sub-RPI 250 teams and not taking any bad losses. Their RPI is probably also aided by a loss to RPI #1 Villanova (by 20, fwiw).

RPI is a flawed metric but you are missing the point. Wake has no bad losses. Their worst loss is Syracuse. Using Kenpom's superior model, Wake has no losses out of the top 50.

Syracuse lost to UConn, G'town, St Johns, BC, Pitt, and GT outside the top 50. Balancing the importance of the good wins and bad losses is the committee's burden but one-sided arguments are generally weak.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
RPI is a flawed metric but you are missing the point. Wake has no bad losses. Their worst loss is Syracuse. Using Kenpom's superior model, Wake has no losses out of the top 50.

Syracuse lost to UConn, G'town, St Johns, BC, Pitt, and GT outside the top 50. Balancing the importance of the good wins and bad losses is the committee's burden but one-sided arguments are generally weak.
I'm with you actually, so I think I didn't explain well or you're missing my point. Part of my argument is that RPI is a flawed metric. Some are basing their opinion on this alone.

There are arguments for both sides in a Wake vs. Syracuse debate. Honestly I believe Wake has a better resume overall. My point is it's not clearly so as suggested above.

Those projecting Syracuse close to or on the bubble are doing so based on the committee's prior record of valuing big wins. Syracuse is clearly superior in that regard.

I'm not interested in making the case that the Orange are more deserving overall.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you actually, so I think I didn't explain well or you're missing my point. Part of my argument is that RPI is a flawed metric. Some are basing their opinion on this alone.

There are arguments for both sides in a Wake vs. Syracuse debate. Honestly I believe Wake has a better resume overall. My point is it's not clearly so as suggested above.

Those projecting Syracuse close to or on the bubble are doing so based on the committee's prior record of valuing big wins. Syracuse is clearly superior in that regard.

I'm not interested in making the case that the Orange are more deserving overall.

If they really wanted to get the best 68 teams in the tournament they should both get in.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If they really wanted to get the best 68 teams in the tournament they should both get in.
Along the same lines, during the Syracuse/Miami game they highlighted Syracuse's bad losses. Of the 4 listed, GT was one of them because of GT's now sub-100 RPI. That's ridiculous and everyone knows GT is safely top 60-75 in the country right now. But the RPI don't care that a team is different now than in Nov/Dec.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Both "deserving" and "best" have a good case. I am not sure the selection committee is ready to abandon either one. So we get 68 teams with some number of good teams left out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also keep in mind the tournament has never been about getting the best 68 teams in. It's about getting the best 40-45 best at-large teams in to go with auto-qualifiers. I'm ok with that even though it may cost Syracuse (and GT) a shot. That's part of the "deserving" vs "best" conversation @orientalnc mentions.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree Cuse. it's a little of a combination.
You get the auto qualifiers and the better at-large teams.

Watching the bubble every year i really don't feel bad about any teams that are left out. They all have flaws and i don't think any of them are really good teams. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if the Tourney went back to 64.
i don't feel bad about Syracuse and GT getting left out - I don't think either has done enough to earn a bid.

I hope GT squeaks out an NIT bid, but even that is going to be a close call. Just too many losses.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
having the penn state or Ohio games back alone would have done wonders to limit bad losses

That Ohio game haunts us. Pretty experienced team playing us before we ever came together. I'd like to play them again right now. Though they did end up 20-10

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Also keep in mind the tournament has never been about getting the best 68 teams in. It's about getting the best 40-45 best at-large teams in to go with auto-qualifiers. I'm ok with that even though it may cost Syracuse (and GT) a shot. That's part of the "deserving" vs "best" conversation @orientalnc mentions.
I should have read for the down before I responded earlier. Cusehad this already knocked out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When brackets are announced my gut is that UGA will be a 2 seed.

GT, don't know if we will get called or not.