Postseason Chances?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure if he has to by rule, but I'm sure he will

Based on what? I'd say it's more likely that he looks around all indignant and tells everybody he'll act impartially, totally eschewing the idea that he'd be simple-minded enough to show his own son favoritism. That's the elitist way, no?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't see in a million years that Clemson gets into the tournament. They're in 12th place in the ACC. They are 0-7 against top 25 teams and in fact have not won a single solitary game against a ranked team in 10 years. TEN YEARS. Their RPI is > 50. If all you can finish ahead of is Boston College, coach-less NC State, and Pittsburgh, that's poor. They haven't beaten a single ACC team in the top half, much less a ranked one. They finish @ Miami, @ Virginia Tech, Florida State, NC State, and Boston College. They will likely be 4-12 in the conference, 14-14 overall heading into their last 2 games. If they screw 1 of those up, they won't even make the NIT. They are horrible and aren't getting in.

They started off 11-2 playing the usual non-conference schedule. They have since gone 3-9. The committee weights what you do the second half of the season more than the first. Its why they will keep not getting into the tournament.

They beat SC this year, and they're ranked. Maybe they weren't ranked when they played them?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ESPN has updated their bubble watch. Don't have any disagreements with it.
Also gives a pretty good explanation of why so many mediocre P5 teams are looking to get bids - short answer, the mid majors are pretty weak this year so they simply don't have teams to steal bids.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

I've said 4-2 and still think that, but i'm starting to think 3-3 with a 1st round ACC win might be enough - that would depend upon what happens elsewhere, but alot of the conferences are starting to settle down. Big10 is likely to get 7 unless IND gets hot. Pac12 is looking at 4-5, Utah is out without a big run. SEC is looking at 4 unless someone goes on a big run. Big East probably gets 5.

Sunday's game is vitally important.

Deleted member 2897

ESPN has updated their bubble watch. Don't have any disagreements with it.
Also gives a pretty good explanation of why so many mediocre P5 teams are looking to get bids - short answer, the mid majors are pretty weak this year so they simply don't have teams to steal bids.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

I've said 4-2 and still think that, but i'm starting to think 3-3 with a 1st round ACC win might be enough - that would depend upon what happens elsewhere, but alot of the conferences are starting to settle down. Big10 is likely to get 7 unless IND gets hot. Pac12 is looking at 4-5, Utah is out without a big run. SEC is looking at 4 unless someone goes on a big run. Big East probably gets 5.

Sunday's game is vitally important.

Yep, I'm generally not a fan of a team with a 60+ RPI and sub 0.500 conference record getting into the tournament, so I can't fault them for having us on the outside looking in. My one beef would be the comment: "The Yellow Jackets probably need a really impressive win at some point" We've got 3 wins over ranked ACC teams and 1 win on the road over #1 Atlantic 10 (21-5) VCU. We are VCUs only home loss of the year. We already have the really impressive wins. We simply need to win out at home.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't it feel like we've heard "the bubble is weak" for the last 5-8 years now? I wonder if it's just a product of the expanded field and parity. It feels like the new norm that you can be severely flawed with a couple good wins and have a compelling case.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't it feel like we've heard "the bubble is weak" for the last 5-8 years now? I wonder if it's just a product of the expanded field and parity. It feels like the new norm that you can be severely flawed with a couple good wins and have a compelling case.

That is kind of the description of a bubble team from a power conference. The difference is that the leagues just below the 6 majors that usually have 4 or 5 reasonable candidates (American, Mountain West, A-10) do not have any depth this year. The Mountain West in particular is like a low major this year, with only the champion likely to sniff the tournament.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That is kind of the description of a bubble team from a power conference. The difference is that the leagues just below the 6 majors that usually have 4 or 5 reasonable candidates (American, Mountain West, A-10) do not have any depth this year. The Mountain West in particular is like a low major this year, with only the champion likely to sniff the tournament.
Good point. P6 description aside, feels like the "bubble is weak" all the time. I can't remember a time recently when someone stated it's looking strong.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Today's games: Clemson and NC State really need to win today. Clemson has three tough games in a row. State is in danger of missing the post season completely. Pitt is reeling and their remaining schedule is daunting. Wake could really help themselves with a victory at Duke. Same with VT at Louisville.

All these great games on today and the weather in Oriental will be sunny and 71 degrees. The boat is already calling my name.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Lets say GT can find a way to win 3 out of 5 left on the schedule (with 3 home games, i think that's a possibility).

That would put them at 18-13 heading into the ACC tourney, with a 9-9 record in conference, which would be good enough for maybe 7th to 9th in the ACC going into tourney.

I think even if they lost game 1 of the tourney and they were done at 18-14, they would get into the NIT with no problem.

My question is... do you think that 19 wins would be enough to get in? 19-14? Or 20-14? What has to happen to get in at this point?