#POSTGAME uga 37 - GT 14

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The only problem is that is not the rule. The rule states the player must catch the ball, touch the ground, then maintain control long enough to perform an act common to the game. For example he could run, try to avoid a tackle, dive forward for a 1st down, etc. Nowhere does it say 2 feet down unless the rule book changed this year and I got an old copy.

The mutt caught the ball, touched the ground with both feet even though it's not required and made a move to avoid a tackle. It was a fumble by the rules.

The TD catch was not a catch per the rules. The receiver must catch the ball and gain firm control before it touches the ground, not simultaneously with touching the ground, it has to be caught in flight first then it can touch the ground. The TD catch was not caught before it touched the ground.

This ref crew need not ref another game this year. Doubtful they do because this was likely at best the #5 SEC ref crew doing this game & could be the #7 if the Egg Bowl and/or Mizzou-Ark crews were ineligible to ref games this weekend. Basically we got the guys that normally cover the 1-aa games and it showed.
Was either play reviewed? The ref never said.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure the TD catch was reviewed and actually confirmed. Thought it odd because I expected it to stand but I could be mixing up reviews.
I don't think a call was confirmed by the booth all game. Everything was super close and they just let it stand.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only problem is that is not the rule. The rule states the player must catch the ball, touch the ground, then maintain control long enough to perform an act common to the game. For example he could run, try to avoid a tackle, dive forward for a 1st down, etc. Nowhere does it say 2 feet down unless the rule book changed this year and I got an old copy.

The mutt caught the ball, touched the ground with both feet even though it's not required and made a move to avoid a tackle. It was a fumble by the rules.

The TD catch was not a catch per the rules. The receiver must catch the ball and gain firm control before it touches the ground, not simultaneously with touching the ground, it has to be caught in flight first then it can touch the ground. The TD catch was not caught before it touched the ground.
Essentially what I said in the chat. 100% agree with this synopsis.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Our team gave great effort, but just couldn’t run the football against that UGA defense.

Give me a 100% healthy Pyron (although Gibson was FAR from the problem), a different punter, and don’t drop wide open passes, and it’s a pretty tight ball game.

slugboy

Staff member
I wonder if we have a tell. We’ve gotten burned on it quite a bit.
There are a couple of calls on offense and defense that I wonder about where we might advertise what we’re doing
I’ll support Key but I won’t support Long. And I know he has called some solid games lately but he is still not a legit P5 OC.
I’m mixed on Long. His passing is more conservative. His plays do seem to develop slowly—I don’t think that’s how they’re drawn up, but I think that’s how they work here.
Some of his play calls today were great. Sometimes they were great and didn’t work.
My biggest hesitation is that he needs two to three good blocking and catching tight ends. We haven’t gotten significant production or progress out of that position this season, but we still rely on one or two TEs most of the time.
I’ll look at the offense more later, but we kept doing things that weren’t working.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are a couple of calls on offense and defense that I wonder about where we might advertise what we’re doing

I’m mixed on Long. His passing is more conservative. His plays do seem to develop slowly—I don’t think that’s how they’re drawn up, but I think that’s how they work here.
Some of his play calls today were great. Sometimes they were great and didn’t work.
My biggest hesitation is that he needs two to three good blocking and catching tight ends. We haven’t gotten significant production or progress out of that position this season, but we still rely on one or two TEs most of the time.
I’ll look at the offense more later, but we kept doing things that weren’t working.
Here’s the thing in my mind - any person who gets to call a full game (you and me included) will hit on some plays. It’s not that he hasn’t called some plays that work but it’s his total body of work. He lost me earlier in the year when he simply gave up on 3rd down plays by running the ball on 3rd and long. He didn’t do that today which was great but I chalk that up to this being a game where we weren’t winning so little pressure so the coaches decided to just chuck it. What happens next year when we are in a nut crunching game with VT or Pitt and he goes back into his shell. And today after the first drive we rarely went back to Smith. I remember thinking today early that we have some ballers who aren’t scared of UGA (the OLine, Smith, McCollum, Blackburn, and the defense. That was great. But then Long went away from Smith.

I see GT taking a big step next year with the OLine, dare I say it, starting to gel. I just think Long has earned his dismissal and let Key find his own guy.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s the thing in my mind - any person who gets to call a full game (you and me included) will hit on some plays. It’s not that he hasn’t called some plays that work but it’s his total body of work. He lost me earlier in the year when he simply gave up on 3rd down plays by running the ball on 3rd and long. He didn’t do that today which was great but I chalk that up to this being a game where we weren’t winning so little pressure so the coaches decided to just chuck it. What happens next year when we are in a nut crunching game with VT or Pitt and he goes back into his shell. And today after the first drive we rarely went back to Smith. I remember thinking today early that we have some ballers who aren’t scared of UGA (the OLine, Smith, McCollum, Blackburn, and the defense. That was great. But then Long went away from Smith.

I see GT taking a big step next year with the OLine, dare I say it, starting to gel. I just think Long has earned his dismissal and let Key find his own guy.
he did run the ball a few times on 3rd and long. once was down 23 in the 4th.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like key a lot and hard not to root for him, but we still do a lot of the same stupid mistakes and self inflicted wounds. I know we seem to play harder with key but it still looks like the same team before key at times.
I have a theoryabout the "stupid mistakes" we made today...the easy dropped passes. the bad snap, etc. From my experience, it comes when athletes know on the field they are playing a physically superior opponent. They try harder which leads to unforced errors. That pass that Leonard drops? I bet he makes that if he were playing a Wofford or Kennesaw. Something seems to unravel when the guy you are playing against is just physically superior than you.

For me, it happened in basketball against quicker opponents. That wide open look you knock down most of the time in a scrimmage or practice or against lesser opponents...you rush it when the the defender is quicker than you. And miss. I have seen it in golf. I was a consistent, steady player who struggled on long courses because I knew I had to hit it farther. By trying to hit it farther, I almost never did. Or my buddy who hits the 300 yard drives and scores well if the track is wide open and doesn't penalize a wayward tee shot will freeze up on a tight course where hitting a fairway is required. Notice the only turnover from them came when they had their backup QB in? It happened to him too as well as our FR RB. I think that is the issue with our punter who is from Iceland? Ireland? wherever he is from, it is apparent he is not used to kicking against the type of athletes he sees week in and week out over here. You just can't replicate certain things.

That is my opinion anyways and it very well could be wrong. I don't think anyone coaches players to fumble, drop passes, snap the ball on the ground. It's forced by the other team subliminally.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The only complaint I had about the coaching was why not ride Smith and McCollum? They were getting it done, but for some reason we switched away from what was working. I never understand why we don't keep doing the same thing until they prove they can stop it.
Um...isn't that what got CPJ in trouble with the Big Money Guys? ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have a theoryabout the "stupid mistakes" we made today...the easy dropped passes. the bad snap, etc. From my experience, it comes when athletes know on the field they are playing a physically superior opponent. They try harder which leads to unforced errors. That pass that Leonard drops? I bet he makes that if he were playing a Wofford or Kennesaw. Something seems to unravel when the guy you are playing against is just physically superior than you.

For me, it happened in basketball against quicker opponents. That wide open look you knock down most of the time in a scrimmage or practice or against lesser opponents...you rush it when the the defender is quicker than you. And miss. I have seen it in golf. I was a consistent, steady player who struggled on long courses because I knew I had to hit it farther. By trying to hit it farther, I almost never did. Or my buddy who hits the 300 yard drives and scores well if the track is wide open and doesn't penalize a wayward tee shot will freeze up on a tight course where hitting a fairway is required. Notice the only turnover from them came when they had their backup QB in? It happened to him too as well as our FR RB. I think that is the issue with our punter who is from Iceland? Ireland? wherever he is from, it is apparent he is not used to kicking against the type of athletes he sees week in and week out over here. You just can't replicate certain things.

That is my opinion anyways and it very well could be wrong. I don't think anyone coaches players to fumble, drop passes, snap the ball on the ground. It's forced by the other team subliminally.
Well, it's an explanation. The thing that kills me about Leonard's drop is that he had the football. He caught it and put it away, and then apropos' of nothing he just dropped it. We have got to get us a tight end in here next year.