Postgame: UGA 31-GT 23

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Can you explain what the trip is for beating UGA?
We're on the road to doing just that. Last year we were better, and this year we were better still. I have faith in Key that we'll get to where we are going in time. The gap is closing.
The trajectory is upward, and it will take time to get to where we need to be. I really don't know what else there is to tell you. Patience, grasshopper.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you explain what the trip is for beating UGA? Are you expecting us to build talent equal to theirs? Are you expecting us to significantly out coach them? They are always going to have umpteen 5 stars to our zero 5 stars. We have to take advantage of games where they are banged up, turning the ball over and getting bad penalties. We don't get these chances often.

Is it “logic” or just grumpy contrarianism to find a way to complain one week about low expectations and then complain about high ones the next?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Could not help but think of the What-ifs.

First pass to Singleton and the one out of the end zone (and if he would have found the end zone on that breakaway play that ended up in a fields goal)

Almost interception on uga 2nd possession

Sack of King that took us out of a more make-able field goal before half

The barely tipped ball that would have been pass interference.

The muffed punt by uga- very fortunate that the ball went out of bounds.

Like some of the earlier posters it was nice to play them tough and have a shot!

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
lol ok, you can believe they would have magically overcome those injuries. Bowers physically could not run last night, but sure uga is gonna trot him out there to go limp around at 25% speed.

Also you:
What i meant is that they were resting and holding back for Bama. I guarantee you that Bowers will magically be able to run and be ready to play next weekend.They obviously didn't need him or that other guy against us. You continue to ignore the fact that Beck didn't need to throw the ball much. If you watched the game, you would know that they were in control pretty much the whole game and never in any real danger of losing. Have fun and enjoy your moral victory because we didn't lose by 25. I'm tired of losing to those guys.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What i meant is that they were resting and holding back for Bama. I guarantee you that Bowers will magically be able to run and be ready to play next weekend.They obviously didn't need him or that other guy against us. You continue to ignore the fact that Beck didn't need to throw the ball much. If you watched the game, you would know that they were in control pretty much the whole game and never in any real danger of losing. Have fun and enjoy your moral victory because we didn't lose by 25. I'm tired of losing to those guys.
Assuredly, we're all tired of losing to those guys. But things are improving. Somewhere just a short ways down the road, I believe we will stop losing to them.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What i meant is that they were resting and holding back for Bama. I guarantee you that Bowers will magically be able to run and be ready to play next weekend.They obviously didn't need him or that other guy against us. You continue to ignore the fact that Beck didn't need to throw the ball much. If you watched the game, you would know that they were in control pretty much the whole game and never in any real danger of losing. Have fun and enjoy your moral victory because we didn't lose by 25.
This is such a weird way to look at the game. So Tech gets absolutely no credit for last nights game? Mizzou got credit for playing UGA a good game but Tech only played them close because UGA didn’t try hard?
I'm tired of losing to those guys.
You don’t think everyone else is too?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Is it “logic” or just grumpy contrarianism to find a way to complain one week about low expectations and then complain about high ones the next?
ineedthisforreactions GIF

People who are generally critical like to use the words "logic" and "objective" to describe themselves. The problem with describing themselves that was is that being objective requires taking into account all information, not just the information that fits a particular narrative. As you've so aptly pointed out you have to apply logic to all the info, not just one set.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What does this even mean? You think they let us play close? Their game plan was the same it would have been regardless: run the ball.

Pointing out positives from a game is a good thing to do, and it’s not claiming moral victories to do so.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What does this even mean? You think they let us play close? Their game plan was the same it would have been regardless: run the ball.

Pointing out positives from a game is a good thing to do, and it’s not claiming moral victories to do so.
I expect some of y’all minds are made up and this won’t change them, but I’d like to put to rest the position some posters are taking that Kirby was holding back guys to rest them for the championship when they could have contributed in Saturday’s game.

Kirby was asked about this specifically in his post-game presser. He was adamant that “If they can play, they play. 100%. It was a championship game. It was a state championship game. They wanted to play.” He went on to talk about how they had a lot of guys beat up and had to play 2 freshmen linebackers among other issues.

I swear, I think if we had somehow managed to pull off the win, we’d have some fans saying it should only be counted with an asterisk since Georgia was short a few players.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I expect some of y’all minds are made up and this won’t change them, but I’d like to put to rest the position some posters are taking that Kirby was holding back guys to rest them for the championship when they could have contributed in Saturday’s game.

Kirby was asked about this specifically in his post-game presser. He was adamant that “If they can play, they play. 100%. It was a championship game. It was a state championship game. They wanted to play.” He went on to talk about how they had a lot of guys beat up and had to play 2 freshmen linebackers among other issues.

I swear, I think if we had somehow managed to pull off the win, we’d have some fans saying it should only be counted with an asterisk since Georgia was short a few players.
You don’t see any Georgia fans giving Ohio State credit for playing without Marvin Harrison Jr. last year. Or to Alabama for playing without Metchie and Jameson Williams in the 2021 natty. In fact, you’ll see them saying “no excuses.”

There is absolutely no reason they should be able to claim the game would be worse if they had their starters available. It’s football, people get hurt and can’t play. We played them last year with 3rd & 4th string QBs, and in 2021 without our best player since Calvin. Tech “fans” trying to denigrate the team and say it wasn’t an impressive game because we didn’t see their opening week starting 22 are ridiculous and nit picking their way to being miserable. Did we see the best possible version of their team? No. But did they see ours? Also no. Considering one of the most highly touted recruits we’ve landed in the last decade hasn’t played a single snap for us in 2 years (Leo Blackburn). I’m sure we had other injuries to guys who didn’t play last night.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s unlikely they would’ve run less if Bowers and co had been healthy. And if they had, it might have been less successful anyway, hard to beat those YPC on the ground.

We all knew the ground D was weak, and we all hope it improves - if it doesn’t, lots more folks will get fired.

So the hope was always to win a shootout, and the fact is that the game came down to who made fewer mistakes. They made a few, but still found the endzone four times; GT had to settle for FGs four times and only found the endzone twice after a few mistakes of their own. Executing at that level offensively is a huge step forward both compared to last year and compared to what happened against the Clemson D. Is that a “moral victory” or is it “objectively” measuring the state of things today vs 365 days ago?

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
I know it’s come up about the uga fans outselling us but I sit in section 227 with other season ticket holders who had family coming to the Syracuse games and they were all sold out. Are uga fans buying season tickets during the year we play them and selling them throughout the year and how does the athletic department stop that?

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
This is such a weird way to look at the game. So Tech gets absolutely no credit for last nights game? Mizzou got credit for playing UGA a good game but Tech only played them close because UGA didn’t try hard?

You don’t think everyone else is too?
Yes, there is some improvement which is good. Coach 404 did so much damage to the program that any kind of improvement will be greatly celebrated. But Key has to find a way to improve the D-line and stop the run. He has proven that he is serious and a good coach, unlike the previous guy. But me personally, I don't like moral victories like many people on here do. Which is fine. It's been a rough few years being a Tech football fan.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, there is some improvement which is good. Coach 404 did so much damage to the program that any kind of improvement will be greatly celebrated. But Key has to find a way to improve the D-line and stop the run. He has proven that he is serious and a good coach, unlike the previous guy. But me personally, I don't like moral victories like many people on here do. Which is fine. It's been a rough few years being a Tech football fan.
I don't think Brent Key is satisfied with moral victories, either. But they sometimes are a portent and prelude to real ones. He's trying to bring this program up by its bootstraps, and he knows it will take time.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck

No, I would take an actual win. It's annoying that we haven't beat them at home in a long time.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I know it’s come up about the uga fans outselling us but I sit in section 227 with other season ticket holders who had family coming to the Syracuse games and they were all sold out. Are uga fans buying season tickets during the year we play them and selling them throughout the year and how does the athletic department stop that?
This is a known issue and one that uga fans are pretty open about doing. The secondary ticket market for non-uga games makes it a cheap way for them to obtain tickets to COFH. One only needs to examine the bump in ST sales in years where we get them at home to get an idea of how much this happens. I suspect they can buy our season tickets to gain admission to COFH at a net cost that is less than a single-game COFH ticket in Athens.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That should show up as a difference in season ticket sales in years we don't play them at home. I would think a lot of it is because of Thanksgiving weekend and people traveling. I am sure some season tickets are from their fans but businesses also buy tickets and may give them to customers or employees that are uga fans. I would eat them first as an alum. Some may sell that one game to pay for the cost of their season tickets. Start beating them and they won't come.