Postgame: UGA 31-GT 23

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
One other question: how does Georgia get eight home games instead of six? Even among the SEC games, the home and away was not even.

What the heck?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One other question: how does Georgia get eight home games instead of six? Even among the SEC games, the home and away was not even.

What the heck?
I looked at their schedule and you're right. In SEC games, four were played in Sanford Stadium and three away.
In addition, Georgia was designated the home team for the neutral site game against Florida in Jacksonville.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Who is celebrating moral victories? Finding improvements and positives is not moral victories. Key used a Saban line earlier this year: “Never waste a failure.” Extrapolating positives in a losing effort is not celebrating a moral victory. Neither is celebrating 6 wins and a bowl game for the first time in 5 years. Losing a close game to UGA and winning 6 regular season games are not the highest goals that anybody within the program or as a fan aspires to achieve every year. But they are signs of improvement. If Key continues to only win 6 games and lose to UGA the “moral victories” will stop, fast.

Just because you (and others) come on here and pretend like losing the game is unacceptable no matter the fashion it was lost in, or 6 wins isn’t enough, or any other number of quips; doesn’t mean you have higher expectations than anyone else on here. It just means you’re not willing to see the forest for the trees. You’re lost in your expectations and fail to see the progress that has been made. Nobody here is happy to lose.
An opinion is an opinion. Everyone has one. I can be annoyed that we haven't beat uga at home since 1999 if I want to. I'm allowed to be annoyed that our D-line got dominated again in this game. I've never claimed to have higher expectations than anyone else. I've acknowledged that Key has improved this team from the worst coach in GT history. I am happy to make it to a bowl game. Now we have to win the bowl game. Do you agree or do we just look at the positives in a losing effort?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
An opinion is an opinion. Everyone has one. I can be annoyed that we haven't beat uga at home since 1999 if I want to. I'm allowed to be annoyed that our D-line got dominated again in this game. I've never claimed to have higher expectations than anyone else. I've acknowledged that Key has improved this team from the worst coach in GT history. I am happy to make it to a bowl game. Now we have to win the bowl game. Do you agree or do we just look at the positives in a losing effort?
Have to win for what? A successful season, to show we are improving, make you feel good? What specifically is your reason for GT to have to win a Bowl Fame?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Winning the bowl game is very important for recruiting and it would also give us a winning record, which we haven't had since Paul Johnson's last season.
Winning the bowl is a very important step. It’s not make or break, as we’ve passed the inflection point. It is, however, an accelerator. It can accelerate the successes of this season in terms of team culture, fan morale, ticket sales, and NIL donations. A losing season even in a bowl year will dampen the success we have seen.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Folks claiming that uga fans purchase GT season tickets just to get into cofh and that that an uptick in sales every other year proves it, where do you get the sales numbers that you are claiming as evidence. I have a hard time believing this storyline. It’s not like the tickets are hard to get at game time. How much were single game tickets going for? And I don’t mean club seats, just any old seat.

I don't think there are many (any) UGA fans buying season tickets for that one game. As you say, you can easily get tickets on the secondary market leading up to the game that, while at an elevated price, are way less than season tickets for the same seat.

On the other hand, I have had someone tell me that some UGA fans who live in Atlanta will get the season tickets and then go to UGA plus 2-3 more Tech games just to see college football without having to travel up to Athens (or on away UGA game days / bye weeks).

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
What i meant is that they were resting and holding back for Bama. I guarantee you that Bowers will magically be able to run and be ready to play next weekend.They obviously didn't need him or that other guy against us. You continue to ignore the fact that Beck didn't need to throw the ball much. If you watched the game, you would know that they were in control pretty much the whole game and never in any real danger of losing. Have fun and enjoy your moral victory because we didn't lose by 25. I'm tired of losing to those guys.
Everyone in college football is tired of losing to UGA.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
All good points.
But the last one on the 70/30 UGA /Tech crowd cannot be put on Batt and Cabrera. It on Tech fans. Tech fans need to get off of their couches and get to the stadium to support the team. Those players are fighting too hard out there to look up and see the opposing team outnumber our fans. If we want to have a good team, we need to support it.
If was there and there were clearly more GT fans than UGA. Why do tech fans always exaggerate the number of opposing fans? Is it the ones who watch on TV with the TV cameras trained on the East Stands? I seriously don't get it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If was there and there were clearly more GT fans than UGA. Why do tech fans always exaggerate the number of opposing fans? Is it the ones who watch on TV with the TV cameras trained on the East Stands? I seriously don't get it.
The "commentators" (sic) were saying 70%+ UGA fans. They mistake GA Tech navy blue for UGAg black, especially at night. I think at most it was likely 50/50, probably more like 60/40 Tech just from the TV screenshots. At one point there was a shot from the field near the north end zone of the west stands and they looked pretty solid GA Tech - lower and upper. East and south stands looked 50/50 to me, maybe even 60/40 UGAg. North was had to tell, but the lower north was pretty full with students and Tech fans.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The "commentators" (sic) were saying 70%+ UGA fans. They mistake GA Tech navy blue for UGAg black, especially at night. I think at most it was likely 50/50, probably more like 60/40 Tech just from the TV screenshots.

Were you at the game? There is no way that we had anywhere near 50% of the attendance. 70% is conservative. It might well have been 80% mutts in our house last Saturday. There were points where the uga cheers were drowning out the GT band and I sit right above the band.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
The "commentators" (sic) were saying 70%+ UGA fans. They mistake GA Tech navy blue for UGAg black, especially at night. I think at most it was likely 50/50, probably more like 60/40 Tech just from the TV screenshots.
Well the commentators were clearly wrong. It was the best home GT crowd in this game in years and no where near 50/50 even. The larger West stand which don't get as much TV time were largely tech fans which wasn't the case Collins last year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You were at the game and somehow thought that the stadium was 80% UGA?

It may well have been. I think that 70-75% is probably accurate. I sit in the upper north and can see the entire stadium from my seats. Other than the Student Section and a portion of the lower west, it was a sea of red. There were pockets of gold and white but that stadium was mostly uga fans.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
After a long time showing other teams, one of our plays made the Beautiful Plays list:
Post in thread 'Beautiful plays'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/beautiful-plays.23801/post-978421

Crazy what the perception of a play run out of shotgun vs under center is. We use to run this under center out of the Wing T back in high school. Instead of the half back pulling with the guard, Faulkner has a TE lined up next to the QB and the TE follows the pulling guard. Play side Slot WR runs jet motion instead of the play side half back. Really cool play design by OCBF and he schemes in a better blocker with TE versus a RB.

EDIT:

The play @slugboy posted was also set up by jet sweep Singleton broke off for a huge gain earlier in the half. Faulkner had the UGA defense's eyes spinning all game. Their eyes were focused more on Singleton than watching what the blockers were doing.

Last edited:

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
On the other hand, I have had someone tell me that some UGA fans who live in Atlanta will get the season tickets and then go to UGA plus 2-3 more Tech games just to see college football without having to travel up to Athens (or on away UGA game days / bye weeks).

There are lots of Uga fans who are unable to go to games in Athens because they can't get tickets. So every other year they buy for the Tech game. I talked to one in line for beer on Saturday. He was really happy to be able to see his team live, CofH was the only game he is able to get into.

I expected the upper north to be Red. Looking across the field at the Gold seats filled with Dawgs is what bothers me. The owners of those seats are people should do better. It's a terrible look for TV.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
It may well have been. I think that 70-75% is probably accurate. I sit in the upper north and can see the entire stadium from my seats. Other than the Student Section and a portion of the lower west, it was a sea of red. There were pockets of gold and white but that stadium was mostly uga fans.
You had a better overall vantage point than me, I was in the club section and can't see the upper east. I don't know how it looked to you or on TV but the club section was largely tech fans, way more uga fans than you would like but at least 70% tech fans. This was significantly better than the last couple of UGA home games that I've been to. The lower west and upper west which i could see well from my vantage point, probably better than you could from the North. were mostly tech fans as well.