Postgame: ND 31-GT 13

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I somewhat agree with this. The attendance was just under 60K with likely 45K GT fans, best showing by our fan base in a long time ... CubeE you have to look to the future and stick with the program, even though this was a dud it still seems we are heading in the right direction.
The capacity at the Benz is 71k. At most there were 35k fans there. Not sure if it was 60-40 or 50-50. Maybe 25k GT fans there at best.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Very disappointed. worst performance by far in the Key era, in my opinion out-played and out-coached by a ranked opponent. Granted we were without our starting QB, but that's no excuse for the missed tackles and OL performance. Another fear is that we looked undisciplined on defense, on the ND double-reverse fake punt, there was NOBODY on that side of the field and on a punt on your side of the 50, you should be aware and stay in your lane.

With our remaining schedule, it looks bleak to improve on our 7-6 record from last year ...

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
No, this was not them verses us like 99 ND verses our center 72, which was genes and practice. Our players had funnled the rb into hole and the 2 i mentioned " looked down" when gojng for hit .

As to coaching prep, we were in seats near where 8 of the ND ol was doing a 2 on 2 drill.
2 were blocking 2. The 2 rushers were dojng a twist on ghe w blockers. The other set of 4 was doing the same. An assistant was calling out a cadence as they did the drill at half speed. It was like watching 8 bears dance together working on foot work as a trainer called out the cadsnce. . They would switch and do it each time as the blockers switched the rusher and held them out.

Plus, as you say they were all giant clones.
To me, it was ND discipline and tackling ability vs. GT lack thereof ... the ND defense seemed always to be in position and make the tackle. It may be time to spend a little practice time on fundamentals ...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yea definitely not 60k. Just about every section I could see from my seats looked 50% empty. I also don't know how you can determine it was 75% Tech fans when so many of their fans are also wearing gold/navy. And as I mentioned previously, the family in front of me wore Tech gear, but cheered for ND. Are they the only ones, and who's side do they count for?

What do you think genius, they just make it up ????

Totally incorrect, if you think that stadium was half-empty, you haven't been to many GT games ... I need to learn how to use the ignore button.
It's likely tickets sold, not through the gate.

I go to almost every Tech home game. The game against Louisville last year looked at least as full for the sections that were open (no 3rd deck I think), and attendance for that one was 36k

Last edited:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yea definitely not 60k. Just about every section I could see from my seats looked 50% empty. I also don't know how you can determine it was 75% Tech fans when so many of their fans are also wearing gold/navy. And as I mentioned previously, the family in front of me wore Tech gear, but cheered for ND. Are they the only ones, and who's side do they count for?

It's likely tickets sold, not through the gate.

I go to almost every Tech home game. The game against Louisville last year looked at least as full for the sections that were open (no 3rd deck I think), and attendance for that one was 36k
I was there too, not even close, like you said the upper tier wasn't even open and the middle tier was half-empty.

I assume you are a GT fan if you are wearing GT gear ...

I get what your saying about tickets sold and maybe its just the perspective from where you are sitting, but I would bet you guys are wrong ...

slugboy

Staff member
Looking back, the Notre Dame game Saturday kind of reminds me of the LSU Peach Bowl, our even more, the Iowa Orange Bowl game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What do you think genius, they just make it up ????

Totally incorrect, if you think that stadium was half-empty, you haven't been to many GT games ... I need to learn how to use the ignore button.
Well where was everyone? I was there. They sure weren’t in seats. No way that place was 83% capacity. I’ve been at that place when it was full and it’s an entirely different feel. You can’t even walk around the narrow corridors.

I think they play games like announcing sold tickets rather than scanned tickets at the gates.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20241021_071954_Instagram.jpg

This was during the game

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241021_071954_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20241021_071954_Instagram.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 27

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I will disagree on the defense being abused. They were not great by any means. Abused was 2-3 years ago. They battled reasonably yesterday. Special teams cost the defense two stops. That was significant. The offense had two good drives.

The defense really lacks playmakers. They can only get better with more talent.
i agree with you, they played hard and never quit. We were in position to make stops many times and then missed tackles, which is just very frustrating. We lost talent at DB from last season and it is showing, Need at least one CB upgrade and a DE who can get to the QB. I see improvement with Santucci’s defense but obviously it’s going to take more than 1season to turn it around. I like that he has improved our run defense so much- being good at something is a start.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 17056

This was during the game
OK-OK, but that's one-side, the GT crowd dominated the side you are sitting on, and I can't see what that is next to the GT on the field, but if that was during the game, where are the players at, there doesn't seem to be anyone on the sidelines ?? and the student section during the game was much better attended. I believe that's a pre-game photo.

And I'm over it, But, ... I'll still stand by the statement that this was the best GT "Home" crowd for a while.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
OK-OK, but that's one-side, the GT crowd dominated the side you are sitting on, and I can't see what that is next to the GT on the field, but if that was during the game, where are the players at, there doesn't seem to be anyone on the sidelines ?? and the student section during the game was much better attended. I believe that's a pre-game photo.

And I'm over it, But, ... I'll still stand by the statement that this was the best GT "Home" crowd for a while.
Nah man. I sat on the other side. It looked the same. Maybe 40-45k. So let’s say 60% instead of the 50% I originally quoted.

The atmosphere is just better at Bobby Dodd. That same crowd would have been electric at home. Instead they were spread out and somewhat neutralized. I’m ok with playing in a high profile kickoff game in there every once in a while, but not to sacrifice a home game. And definitely not every year.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Nah man. I sat on the other side. It looked the same. Maybe 40-45k. So let’s say 60% instead of the 50% I originally quoted.

The atmosphere is just better at Bobby Dodd. That same crowd would have been electric at home. Instead they were spread out and somewhat neutralized. I’m ok with playing in a high profile kickoff game in there every once in a while, but not to sacrifice a home game. And definitely not every year.
Yes, I totally agree ...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
All coaches have crap seasons. But you only know they are crap seasons because they are surrounded by good seasons. I believe Key is a good coach. But we are in the middle of some very poor performances and even Key acknowledges this.
When half of your OL grades out as “replaceable”, and they are not replaced, the backups must be less capable and productive. If I am a HC with a “Run-the-bawl” mindset and a “we-can’t-run-the-bawl-because-our-OL-lacks-the-capability-against-a-quality-defensive-front” reality, I either change my mindset, get improved performance out of my OL by whatever it takes, or resign myself to losing.