Postgame: ND 31-GT 13

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Weinke had opportunities for that this offseason very good ones he chose to stay.
Head coach loves to Run the bawwwl.

Qb coach.
Pass the ball? Full qb room.

While at Tennsesse , Winke recruited King. Helped bring him to gt. I hope wienke stays. Probably pretty popular w qbs.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ ain't coming back - get over it already. Said disciplined coach who won an orange bowl had some crap seasons too.

Focus on now.
All coaches have crap seasons. But you only know they are crap seasons because they are surrounded by good seasons. I believe Key is a good coach. But we are in the middle of some very poor performances and even Key acknowledges this.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just for reference, GT currently ranks 21st in the nation in fewest penalty yards at 42.75 YPG. Army is 9th, Navy is 41st, and your old maniacal buddy Kirby’s UGA team is 123rd. How about turnovers? That’s part of playing clean football. Unsurprisingly Army has the fewest in the country with 1, Navy is tied for 2nd fewest with 2. Where is Georgia Tech? Tied for 5th with 4, and we’re one of only 2 schools in the top 50 that has already played 8 games. How about Kirby and UGA? Well they’re tied for 57th with 9 turnovers in 7 games.

Kirby is a good coach, he basically never loses to teams that have less talent than he does. But that’s the thing, about 125 of the other 132 other teams in the country have nowhere near the talent that Kirby does. Georgia was spending double on “legal” recruiting than what everyone else in the country was before NIL became legal. What Kirby and UGA can do has very little in common with what the overwhelming majority of programs can do. Kirby could probably replace his entire starting 22 with backups and still have a more talented team than all but about 15-20 schools.

Going back to Tech though, you say we don’t play clean football, yet we’re right in the same groupings as Army and Navy in what I would say are the “clean football” stats. You say Georgia’s coach being fiery and replacing players who make mistakes is why they’re so good. Yet Georgia has given away way more freebies than Army, Navy, and Tech. We don’t get penalized, and we don’t turn the ball over. I’d say that’s a pretty good sign of a well coached and disciplined football team. Does that mean we’re going to fire on all cylinders and execute every play of every game at a high level? No. Clearly it hasn’t been the case this year. Our special teams unit is among the worst in the country, and some bad game management has probably cost us points and maybe a win or 2, but overall we’ve played to the standard of the roster we have.

This year we’re an average to slightly above average ACC team, and we’ve played like it. If you like 247’s team talent composite we’re actually exceeding expectations, we’re considered the 10th most talented ACC team. There’s more talent coming in this year’s recruiting class though, and next year’s schedule is much easier on paper. This coaching staff is still moving the program in the right direction.
So you are telling me that what you saw yesterday was good football? Ok. I have no problem with your opinion.

What I saw was a defense that got abused, unforced pre-snap penalties, special teams that couldn’t execute and gave up a fake FG, and a QB who threw a pick six right in the arms of the defender. I also saw a coach who let emotions get the best of him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Went to the game, despite my longstanding dislike of MBS. It takes longer to get where you are going and it is harder to get out of then any other stadium in my experience. The old stadium (Old? They tore it down about half way through its useful life.) was vastly superior, imho; especially in seating and egress. But I digress. What about the game?

• With a healthy King Tech could have won this game. We sorely missed his running today; part of what makes the team work is his ability to run the option and his superior speed. Pyron did his best - and he did alright - but the team was not the same with him at the helm. Part of that is probably due to lack of experience with big games, but that does make a difference.

• And now you know why the run game didn't work very well today. Well, that and a few of the common mistakes when you have someone new calling signals. Also, where were the QB power plays? When you have a new QB on the field, he's a strong runner, and slow developing plays have less chance against a good run D, you run the QB. Or, at least, that's what I would have done. It's probably all that watching Army htis year.

• The Mr. Hyde of the special teams showed up again today. Why should there have been a bad snap on a field goal try? There shouldn't have been. There were a couple of low punts too. And why did we keep running the ball back once they suddenly woke up to find Singleton returning KOs? True, he came close to breaking a couple, but it got worse as time went on.

* I don't have anything to say much about the D. They were worn down as the game went on, but they played pretty well. Leonard suddenly looked like his old self today after being in hibernation for most of the year. He gave us fits when he was at Puke and that continued today. The main reason we had D trouble, however, was our trouble on O.

• Oh, and the refs sucked.

Well, let's hope that King is ok for Miami. They are not as good as their record, imho, and with King healthy or even 85% Tech can beat them.
Loved the benz due to amenities like food, beer , replay screen.

At hotel and game several nd were hoping to see King. They are pleased with portal qb leonard.

I was very disappointed we did not run power 2 tight ends with Hauser and new Ol kid - Moore. Both block till they and their guy are on ground. Imo, we needed to do something to help Pyron.( Run power, max protect pass to someone down field. Qb run.)
Zack , imo does not have kings speed to sprint to sideline for first down. Anyway , we did throw to TE twice , and several more mid down field passes , which Zach did good job.

I am hoping we pass first and run second for rest of year.

slugboy

Staff member
I can't believe you really said this.
Last year we were ranked #77 in DFEI. This year, we're #79.

I did go back and look just now. Last year, our pass defense was bottom quarter of the P5 or worse (about 78th), and one of the worst in FBS against the run (like, #128). This year, our run defense is about #23, but our pass defense is about #114. We closed one barn door solidly, but we left another wide open (pass defense got much worse). That's why I said "overall".

If you want a basic stat, we're #42 in total defense this year. But, when our offense is working, it cuts down in the possessions in the game, and gives our defense a boost there. Last year, we were #97. I think the efficiency numbers tell a more accurate tale, though.

Hopefully next season, both are solid. I think we have something to build on, but the overall results aren't there. We aren't losing to Bowling Green and Boston College (but the Syracuse loss was still an upset). We still have to sweat the games against VT, Duke, Syracuse, etc, because we aren't getting sacks and picks

Maybe it's like golf, where you fix part of your swing, and now you're hooking instead of slicing, but your total score is the same. Maybe your swing looks better, but your score isn't any lower.

Last edited:

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Question for those who watched on TV (ESPN). ...

Does ND have a path to make the 12-team playoff?

My god... the whole broadcast was a "strongly worded letter" to whoever (the playoff committee?) would listen for the ND case on making playoffs.
63% chance with the win. Would have been 20% if we had won. The started off at 70% after their first win then dropped to 26% after the loss to NIU and have been slowly climbing with a 53% chance going in to our game.

Yes, they talked about it so much during the game that I remember all these numbers a day and a half later even though I muted them half the times they started diving into them 🙄

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So you are telling me that what you saw yesterday was good football? Ok. I have no problem with your opinion.

What I saw was a defense that got abused, unforced pre-snap penalties, special teams that couldn’t execute and gave up a fake FG, and a QB who threw a pick six right in the arms of the defender. I also saw a coach who let emotions get the best of him.
Everything you’re talking about it circumstantial. You just talked about how good Army, Navy, and Georgia are at playing clean football. You said Kirby yells at players and does everything to win. I said Georgia has the most talent in the country, and them winning has more to do with their talent than it does anything Kirby is doing. GT is one of the least penalized teams in the country, and turns the ball over at one of the lowest rates in the country. That is playing clean football, everything else comes down to execution. Did we execute yesterday? No. I literally said that. But most of what you say on this board is baseless and comes from what you think is happening, or what you think you saw. Rarely does it come from facts and stats.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
CPJ ain't coming back - get over it already. Said disciplined coach who won an orange bowl had some crap seasons too.

Focus on now.
But said coach had an Orange Bowl win and beat UGA as well as other memorable wins which leads to less focus on "now" because the present looks pretty bleak. So why don't you get over harassing other people with a different opinion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame backs and receivers must have broken 30 tackles Saturday. Really pathetic. There is no excuse for this.
#1 Free Safety and #3 CB had some hero one on one meet in the hole tackle opportunities that turned into wiffs and trucked. Disappointing.

Vt has qb and rb that are a load.
After VT we will know a lot.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Everything you’re talking about it circumstantial. You just talked about how good Army, Navy, and Georgia are at playing clean football. You said Kirby yells at players and does everything to win. I said Georgia has the most talent in the country, and them winning has more to do with their talent than it does anything Kirby is doing. GT is one of the least penalized teams in the country, and turns the ball over at one of the lowest rates in the country. That is playing clean football, everything else comes down to execution. Did we execute yesterday? No. I literally said that. But most of what you say on this board is baseless and comes from what you think is happening, or what you think you saw. Rarely does it come from facts and stats.
Dude, it’s a message board not an encyclopedia. Good gracious man. If you don’t like opinion then why do you read the threads? I love all opinions because this a fun past time not life or death.

Here are facts - we lost a football game yesterday. We all watched it and we all saw turnovers and penalties being a big part. You can bring up stats all you want and claim them as facts. That’s fine. Let’s see what our stats look like after we bookend VMI, Ga State, and FSU with Georgia, Miami, and VT.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
#1 Free Safety and #3 CB had some hero one on one meet in the hole tackle opportunities that turned into wiffs and trucked. Disappointing.

Vt has qb and rb that are a load.
After VT we will know a lot.
Well, in all fairness Notre Dame players looked big and fast. Number 88 and number 9 had some muscle on them. Our guys looked like what they are for the most part, ACC mid level or lower players IIWII

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

I will disagree on the defense being abused. They were not great by any means. Abused was 2-3 years ago. They battled reasonably yesterday. Special teams cost the defense two stops. That was significant. The offense had two good drives.

The defense really lacks playmakers. They can only get better with more talent.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Last year we were ranked #77 in DFEI. This year, we're #79.

I did go back and look just now. Last year, our pass defense was bottom quarter of the P5 or worse (about 78th), and one of the worst in FBS against the run (like, #128). This year, our run defense is about #23, but our pass defense is about #114. We closed one barn door solidly, but we left another wide open (pass defense got much worse). That's why I said "overall".

If you want a basic stat, we're #42 in total defense this year. But, when our offense is working, it cuts down in the possessions in the game, and gives our defense a boost there. Last year, we were #97. I think the efficiency numbers tell a more accurate tale, though.

Hopefully next season, both are solid. I think we have something to build on, but the overall results aren't there. We aren't losing to Bowling Green and Boston College (but the Syracuse loss was still an upset). We still have to sweat the games against VT, Duke, Syracuse, etc, because we aren't getting sacks and picks

Maybe it's like golf, where you fix part of your swing, and now you're hooking instead of slicing, but your total score is the same. Maybe your swing looks better, but your score isn't any lower.
Bottom line, I think our scoring defense is much improved which matters most to me.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Agree that the defense actually looked good enough yesterday, and actually showed a lot of resilience to respond with stops after 4th down conversions (multiple of them on fakes), turnovers, special teams gaffes, etc. Anybody who walked into that game thinking our talent matched Notre Dame's was deluding themselves with gold-tinted glasses. I'm sure Coach Key knew we had to pitch a perfect game to look up at the scoreboard with 2 minutes to go and have a chance to win the game. And frankly, it just wasn't a good enough effort - poor fundamentals at times, mental lapses. I will eat my crow about Pyron because I think he played as good of a game as we could ask for and I don't think the result is that much different if a healthy Haynes starts, but it hurts that a team with the speed and talent of Notre Dame just simply doesn't have to respect half of our options if Pyron is running the ball. Jamal Haynes and Chad Alexander didn't have bad games, they just never really had a chance of succeeding yesterday. No amount of shiftiness is going to let you average 5+ yards per carry when 3+ 4/5 star future NFLers are dedicated to making sure you don't break out a chunk play.

Frankly it's a little concerning to me that we've played 7 FBS games and have yet to put together anything close to a truly complete game. I feel like the best we've looked start-to-finish was Georgia State, and that game took multiple goal line stops to make the scoreline look as ugly as it did.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, in all fairness Notre Dame players looked big and fast. Number 88 and number 9 had some muscle on them. Our guys looked like what they are for the most part, ACC mid level or lower players IIWII
No, this was not them verses us like 99 ND verses our center 72, which was genes and practice. Our players had funnled the rb into hole and the 2 i mentioned " looked down" when gojng for hit .

As to coaching prep, we were in seats near where 8 of the ND ol was doing a 2 on 2 drill.
2 were blocking 2. The 2 rushers were dojng a twist on ghe w blockers. The other set of 4 was doing the same. An assistant was calling out a cadence as they did the drill at half speed. It was like watching 8 bears dance together working on foot work as a trainer called out the cadsnce. . They would switch and do it each time as the blockers switched the rusher and held them out.

Plus, as you say they were all giant clones.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just for reference, GT currently ranks 21st in the nation in fewest penalty yards at 42.75 YPG. Army is 9th, Navy is 41st, and your old maniacal buddy Kirby’s UGA team is 123rd. How about turnovers? That’s part of playing clean football. Unsurprisingly Army has the fewest in the country with 1, Navy is tied for 2nd fewest with 2. Where is Georgia Tech? Tied for 5th with 4, and we’re one of only 2 schools in the top 50 that has already played 8 games. How about Kirby and UGA? Well they’re tied for 57th with 9 turnovers in 7 games.

Kirby is a good coach, he basically never loses to teams that have less talent than he does. But that’s the thing, about 125 of the other 132 other teams in the country have nowhere near the talent that Kirby does. Georgia was spending double on “legal” recruiting than what everyone else in the country was before NIL became legal. What Kirby and UGA can do has very little in common with what the overwhelming majority of programs can do. Kirby could probably replace his entire starting 22 with backups and still have a more talented team than all but about 15-20 schools.

Going back to Tech though, you say we don’t play clean football, yet we’re right in the same groupings as Army and Navy in what I would say are the “clean football” stats. You say Georgia’s coach being fiery and replacing players who make mistakes is why they’re so good. Yet Georgia has given away way more freebies than Army, Navy, and Tech. We don’t get penalized, and we don’t turn the ball over. I’d say that’s a pretty good sign of a well coached and disciplined football team. Does that mean we’re going to fire on all cylinders and execute every play of every game at a high level? No. Clearly it hasn’t been the case this year. Our special teams unit is among the worst in the country, and some bad game management has probably cost us points and maybe a win or 2, but overall we’ve played to the standard of the roster we have.

This year we’re an average to slightly above average ACC team, and we’ve played like it. If you like 247’s team talent composite we’re actually exceeding expectations, we’re considered the 10th most talented ACC team. There’s more talent coming in this year’s recruiting class though, and next year’s schedule is much easier on paper. This coaching staff is still moving the program in the right direction.
Thank you for a well elucidated retort. I had thought about responding but I just couldn’t get past the astounding notion that Kirby Smart runs a disciplined program at uga.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be an ***, but we always say “why don’t GT fans show out?” I spent $1000 and an entire weekend of PTO to watch us get blown out. That is how you lose a fan base. I am sorry but **** this
Unfortunately I somewhat agree with this. The attendance was just under 60K with likely 45K GT fans, best showing by our fan base in a long time ... CubeE you have to look to the future and stick with the program, even though this was a dud it still seems we are heading in the right direction.