Postgame GT 48 : SCST 13

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder about Coleman. Love the guy, but all of his DLs here and at MSU have been not good so far. I think Keion himself probably had a bigger effect on our improvement last year and regression this year vs the DL coach, but still it's not a good trend.

We aren’t teaching the same technique. We aren’t clogging gaps something we did a nice job of last year letting our linebackers play freely. It’s why Thomas was such a player for us. Instead we are trying to beat guys one on one and that never bodes well for Tech Dlinemen

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder about Coleman. Love the guy, but all of his DLs here and at MSU have been not good so far. I think Keion himself probably had a bigger effect on our improvement last year and regression this year vs the DL coach, but still it's not a good trend.
Rewatch the uga game it’s honestly an impressive performance by our dline

DasaniMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Can we talk about Avery Boyd at DE? I hadn't heard about that until they announced him on a play.
Pretty sure that was more announcer error. The stats gave these tackles to Kyle Kennard who has the same number as Avery Boyd. Other notable errors are claiming 88 Gavin Stewart made a field goal when it was actually 93 Aidan Birr, which we could see from the other side of the stadium!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pretty sure that was more announcer error. The stats gave these tackles to Kyle Kennard who has the same number as Avery Boyd. Other notable errors are claiming 88 Gavin Stewart made a field goal when it was actually 93 Aidan Birr, which we could see from the other side of the stadium!
He corrected himself about Birr. I think we all agree this game did not have the A-team in the booth. I eventually turned off the sound and read the CC when I was curious.

DasaniMan

Georgia Tech Fan
He corrected himself about Birr. I think we all agree this game did not have the A-team in the booth. I eventually turned off the sound and read the CC when I was curious.
I thought he corrected himself on the second field goal but not the first — I was also physically at the game though so there might have been a difference.

slugboy

Staff member

I listened to a lot of the play-by-play on the radio. For me, Joe Hamilton is great—he understands the game, and tells me what players are doing. He’ll tell you who is having a good game and why. He watches the defense like a QB—guess we all know why—and understands why certain players do what they do.

EPA stats are at. https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401525494. This is a team that we should beat handily, and we did.

IMG_0315.jpeg

Their offensive line got contributed about as much to their running game as ours did.
IMG_0316.jpeg

From ESPN, Kyle Kennard had a game:

Georgia Tech Fumbles

FUMLOSTREC
Trey Cooley110
Kyle Kennard001
TEAM111

TOTSOLOSACKSTFLPDTD
Eddie Kelly920000
Kyle Efford730000
Braelen Oliver530100
Kyle Kennard5300.500
Noah Collins410000
TEAM65230420

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I listened to a lot of the play-by-play on the radio. For me, Joe Hamilton is great—he understands the game, and tells me what players are doing. He’ll tell you who is having a good game and why. He watches the defense like a QB—guess we all know why—and understands why certain players do what they do.

EPA stats are at. https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401525494. This is a team that we should beat handily, and we did.

View attachment 14719
The red zone success rate and defensive run stuff rate are going to really bite us against better opponents. Ole Miss ran all day on us last year and it's looking like that will be the case again if we don't improve this week in practice.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

View attachment 14719

Their offensive line got contributed about as much to their running game as ours did.
View attachment 14722

Georgia Tech Fumbles

FUMLOSTREC
Trey Cooley110
Kyle Kennard001
TEAM111

TOTSOLOSACKSTFLPDTD
Eddie Kelly920000
Kyle Efford730000
Braelen Oliver530100
Kyle Kennard5300.500
Noah Collins410000
TEAM65230420
When the games are not on TV (or streaming) I listen to the games by streaming 680. But, the delay differences are terribly distracting and I have not found a way to avoid them.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14722

Georgia Tech Fumbles

FUMLOSTREC
Trey Cooley110
Kyle Kennard001
TEAM111

TOTSOLOSACKSTFLPDTD
Eddie Kelly920000
Kyle Efford730000
Braelen Oliver530100
Kyle Kennard5300.500
Noah Collins410000
TEAM65230420
The 0 sacks are quite concerning. Especially against the competition.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I honestly missed Bitr’s kicks but I see in the stats he hit a 42 yarder. One kick does not lock in confidence but hopefully he is the answer!

But I agree it’s odd since Stewart was reliable last year.
That 42-yarder was from the left hash and would have been good from 54. We all saw last week that Stewart doesn't have the leg for a 54-yarder.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14722

Georgia Tech Fumbles

FUMLOSTREC
Trey Cooley110
Kyle Kennard001
TEAM111

TOTSOLOSACKSTFLPDTD
Eddie Kelly920000
Kyle Efford730000
Braelen Oliver530100
Kyle Kennard5300.500
Noah Collins410000
TEAM65230420
This is good stuff - thanks. Did Joe say anything that stood out to you about the team or players (positive or negative)?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Lil' Joe pointed out several instances of WRs playing unselfishly....blocking and hustling to get blocks downhill. He talked a fair bit about team culture and pointed out instances where players were giving a lot of effort. I recall Kyle Efford and several WR being complemented on this.

Overall Lil Joe seems positive on the future of the team and on Key, while acknowledging it's going to take some time. Joe also praised H. King on his decision making, pocket poise, and pointed out instances where King fixed mistakes from the week before. Joe was particularly excited by King's learning. Mostly positive on the secondary.

On the negative side he pointed out issues controlling the LOS with our D-line.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
The 0 sacks are quite concerning. Especially against the competition.
Yep. Our secondary will have to have the game of their life with the amount of comfortable throws Ole miss will get off.

Thoughts and prayers for our LB’s attempting to stuff their NFL looking running back.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We did what we needed to do, win without it even being close, plus we got the back ups some PT.

Strong points:
a. RBs
b. WRs
c. 2nd FG kicker
d. Punt returner
e. QB, but.........

Weak points:
a. DL- major concern
b. Secondary- will their tackling ever improve?

King has had 2 good games under his belt and his timing appears to be improving with the live game reps, but he misses quite a few reads, has really odd footwork and his throwing motion seems slow. He's mobile & that helps a lot. He's clearly the best we have & he's blessed to have a stout WR corps. He'll win us some games.

Man, do we ever have RBs. Not sure who I like the best because I like them all.

We stacked with WRs. Singleton will be special.

Hopefully we found a FG kicker.

Oh my, Thacker has got a mess on his hands. I'm not sure anyone on D is playing well.

We're where we expected, but not where we hoped. I'm glad we chanegd what we did, we may need to change some more.
You need to add LBs to the bad section. They make very few plays and go to the wrong holes frequently.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I see now why King is the quarterback. Two good games in a row and promises to get even more comfortable as he settles in to this offense.

You know the coaches are aware of the issues with the defense. I do not believe they aren’t doing everything they can to fix it. Let us hope that they’re working the plan.
The question is there enough talent to fix the defensive issues. I have serious doubts

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
pyron throwing a pick was disappointing i wanted to see him get some more time.
Ok, I know I'm a broken record on this, but there should be a separate category in the stats for "tip interceptions" that credit the D player and don't penalize the QB. Pyron didn't throw an interception; the DL made a great play to get into the lane. When that happens you could blame the QB; that's stats do now. But nine times out of ten, it is a matter of the D making a great play,. This has zip to do with the QB and his throw.

And, yes, it is too bad he didn't get more time on the field. We're going to need him sooner or later. You heard it here first.