Postgame GT 48 : SCST 13

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think lack of defensive talent is a big hindrance. But sometimes you can mitigate the talent deficit with a game plan.

Hope springs eternal.
Hope - not something for GT fans to generally hang their hat on! I hope you are correct. Based on 2 games our offense is going to have to score 35+ points for us to have a chance to win!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Game impressions.

First, my son and I went to the game, but after the second delay he called it and we went home. Where the game wasn't on tv. So all this is based on watching the game film.

The Good
• We ran the ball well. We do need to decide on who will be the 20 carry guy, but it was ok to split duties against these people.
• The WRs are stars. We shape up well there against any opponent, imho. Plenty of speed and we can catch. Even (gasp!) the TEs.
• King has some oddities in how he sets up and throws, as noted above, but he does deliver the ball and he has a live arm. This was an improved performance, even given the competition.
• Birr kicked the ball well. I don't know what is wrong with Stewart.

The Bad
• The D. The whole performance sucked. Again, the DL got no push to speak of. Kennard had some good moments, but that's about it.
• Why did we keep calling tunnel screens when it was plain as a pikestaff that SCS was laying for that very play? Half of their TFLs must have come on that play. Oh, well. Maybe the OC thought we should run it until we got it right.
• And, btw, why is a team that ran the thing for 11 years having a hard time defending option plays?
• Oh, I failed to mention that the tackling Did. Not, Improve. Why is it so hard for our D to simply line up with the O player, hit him, and wrap up? We've been trying to knock people off their feet by a shoulder hit for years. It doesn't work. Full Stop.

Overall, this was a better performance, however. We'll see what we actually have over the next two weeks. It'll depend on the D improving, imho.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We aren’t teaching the same technique. We aren’t clogging gaps something we did a nice job of last year letting our linebackers play freely. It’s why Thomas was such a player for us. Instead we are trying to beat guys one on one and that never bodes well for Tech Dlinemen
Well, can the LBs even tackle after they get there,Maola missed a tackle at 2 and allowed a TD by the QB.I'm sure glad the game didn't ride on it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Game impressions.

First, my son and I went to the game, but after the second delay he called it and we went home. Where the game wasn't on tv. So all this is based on watching the game film.

The Good
• We ran the ball well. We do need to decide on who will be the 20 carry guy, but it was ok to split duties against these people.
• The WRs are stars. We shape up well there against any opponent, imho. Plenty of speed and we can catch. Even (gasp!) the TEs.
• King has some oddities in how he sets up and throws, as noted above, but he does deliver the ball and he has a live arm. This was an improved performance, even given the competition.
• Birr kicked the ball well. I don't know what is wrong with Stewart.

The Bad
• The D. The whole performance sucked. Again, the DL got no push to speak of. Kennard had some good moments, but that's about it. I know we are grading on the curve here due to the opponent, but it didn't sound like Key was as down on the D as many of us here. I'd give them a C- overall. We were scoring fairly quickly and giving them back the ball resulting in more ToP for them. Either way, we should have kept them out of the end zone.
• Why did we keep calling tunnel screens when it was plain as a pikestaff that SCS was laying for that very play? Half of their TFLs must have come on that play. Oh, well. Maybe the OC thought we should run it until we got it right. <<This actually could be the reason - we needed to practice it against a real opponent and particularly one we expected to handle relatively easily.
• And, btw, why is a team that ran the thing for 11 years having a hard time defending option plays? Perhaps because the team and coaches we have actually didn't run the option for 11 years? I don't think we have some sort of institutional knowledge on how to defend it. Its frustrating, but I suspect our coaches didn't want to devote much of our precious practice time on defending it against an overmatched opponent. Especially since SC state isn't a pure option offense like The Citadel was. Also, it seemed to me like we did defend it better as the game progressed.
• Oh, I failed to mention that the tackling Did. Not, Improve. Why is it so hard for our D to simply line up with the O player, hit him, and wrap up? We've been trying to knock people off their feet by a shoulder hit for years. It doesn't work. Full Stop.

Overall, this was a better performance, however. We'll see what we actually have over the next two weeks. It'll depend on the D improving, imho.
Good overall summary. Added a few thoughts to your Bad Defense comments.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They have to have to blitz to get pressure on the QB. Realize that exposes the DB more. But against good QBs vanilla defense will yield tons of points.

By the way bitzes should also apply to run blitzes to try to slow down opponent's rushes. Louisville 2nd half and yesterday exposed we can't stop the run with our standard defense.
Hell, I would blitz some and then blitz some more from every direction. What do they have to lose? What I don't like seeing is our beefy linemen who can't move, standing there playing patty cake with the opposing offensive line. We are not getting any push.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Charlie got into the backfield a lot of times for TFL's. Not happening so far this year.
We lost three players of note off the defense last year and they were our best players who made things happen. I am sorry Charlie that you came along at a low point on the Flats. You gave it everything you had and deserved a better fate.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We lost three players of note off the defense last year and they were our best players who made things happen. I am sorry Charlie that you came along at a low point on the Flats. You gave it everything you had and deserved a better fate.
Yes, and we just lost the player we thought would step up to give us more of an edge on the DL. The injury Gods aren't helping us much this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like our skill guys, but the OL and DL are still below what we need to compete with better teams. Key will get us there because he really seems to care.
Amen, Ibelieve in him and that he will give everything he has to get us back to respectability and beyond

JacketFan137

Banned
Ok, I know I'm a broken record on this, but there should be a separate category in the stats for "tip interceptions" that credit the D player and don't penalize the QB. Pyron didn't throw an interception; the DL made a great play to get into the lane. When that happens you could blame the QB; that's stats do now. But nine times out of ten, it is a matter of the D making a great play,. This has zip to do with the QB and his throw.

And, yes, it is too bad he didn't get more time on the field. We're going to need him sooner or later. You heard it here first.
yeah that was all on pyron idk what you’re talking about. if sims threw that pick this place would be pissed and people are just going soft cause pyron is such a fan favorite

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that is precisely WHY the size of the ball carrier will matter, because the o-line probably won't do them any favors against decent P5 defenses so the RB is going to have to beat guys straight up for positive yards, and that's a hard battle when you are so small. Jordan Mason was 220 and was able to pickup yards when no hole existed, guys that are 180-200 are going to struggle mightily at that.
You could have a 400 lb running back, it won't matter if he's getting hit at the LOS or running into a mass of bodies. If the RB is battling for yards with no hole, the play is busted already - hence my comment about the O-Line. But I suppose you could argue it's a chicken and egg sort of thing. Either way, next week the O-Line will have a real test.

The only real concern I have about small backs is their durability. Haynes is quick and shifty, but how will he hold up thru the season?

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Zero sacks against SCST is not good. What needs to change? I wasn't able to watch the game. Did they at least get pressure on the QB?
They really didn't do much drop back passing. We got some penetration, but their QB was pretty quick to tuck and run. So, I guess the long answer is that IMO it was hard to tell.

Last edited:

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The red zone success rate and defensive run stuff rate are going to really bite us against better opponents. Ole Miss ran all day on us last year and it's looking like that will be the case again if we don't improve this week in practice.
I still have PTSD from that clown show last year. If we win this week, it will be due to us outscoring Ole Miss. I don't see us stopping them.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Excuse me if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know why Key got so upset after the Douse unsportsmanlike penalty? I get him being angry and yelling at Douse but it looked like Douse walked right by him and Key was yelling at Marco Coleman or another assistant and even followed him over to the bench to yell some more.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We aren’t teaching the same technique. We aren’t clogging gaps something we did a nice job of last year letting our linebackers play freely. It’s why Thomas was such a player for us. Instead we are trying to beat guys one on one and that never bodes well for Tech Dlinemen
We don’t have the same D-line coach as last year do we? Coleman may need to rethink the technique we are utilizing on the D-line to better fit the guys we have currently

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Excuse me if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know why Key got so upset after the Douse unsportsmanlike penalty? I get him being angry and yelling at Douse but it looked like Douse walked right by him and Key was yelling at Marco Coleman or another assistant and even followed him over to the bench to yell some more.
Maybe more about the D-line play during that whole td drive