Postgame GT 48 : SCST 13

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to admit that i’m super worried about our defense, hopefully they can figure it out quick and get good at something
They have to have to blitz to get pressure on the QB. Realize that exposes the DB more. But against good QBs vanilla defense will yield tons of points.

By the way bitzes should also apply to run blitzes to try to slow down opponent's rushes. Louisville 2nd half and yesterday exposed we can't stop the run with our standard defense.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Hoping J Haynes (11) is okay. Don’t think he played after coming off the field

King and WR seem to be putting it together, also OL had some very nice push.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Offense has looked REALLY impressive in the first two games. We have playmakers at WR and RB, we have a solid QB, and we have some capable guys on the OL (looked much better in this game). Bonus--we even found a reliable kicker in Birr. Gavin was great last year, but has looked shaky on attempt. Birr's two kicks looked really good.

Defense...well, this unit still needs some work. I see little disruption and poor tackling, but I think the coaches are still trying to figure out who they can count on in games. I hope Kelly is ok. He's a load on the edge and plays hard. Kennard, Tatum, and even Oliver looked good too. I think our defense is going to get gashed at times this year and we might just have to outscore some people.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I honestly missed Bitr’s kicks but I see in the stats he hit a 42 yarder. One kick does not lock in confidence but hopefully he is the answer!

But I agree it’s odd since Stewart was reliable last year.
Birr kicked two field goals and made both

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm to the point that I think we're better off going the Tenuta route and zone blitzing until someone loses their job. Our D line couldn't even pressure a HBCU QB! Let that sink in.

Can we talk about Avery Boyd at DE? I hadn't heard about that until they announced him on a play.

A win is good. O looked good. Singleton looks like a stud. Cooley and Haynes can fly! It looks like Stewart has lost his job, and deservedly so.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Checked his post history. Has been accused of trolling in the past. Not sure if this individual is really a troll or just a glass half mostly-empty type.
I mean you're sort of pulling the wool over your eyes if you think this defense has shown any signs that it's going to give Dart a hard time. And he's a GOOD passer - if you let him sit in the pocket and plant his feet, he's going to deliver (pun fully intended) a dart to his receivers when they get open after enough time. Both QBs we have faced so far have missed easy throws with no pressure. I think we make it look more respectable than last year (hard to make it look less respectable) but I need the defense to get at least a sack before I'm going to crown us for next week.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Man, do we ever have RBs. Not sure who I like the best because I like them all.
They looked good today, but considering the level of competition that's not surprising. It'll take a little more convincing against P5 opponents for me, they are all just not very big (all sub-200lbs with Dontae the biggest.) and struggled some against Louisville. Worried that more physical teams will really be able to shut them down.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
They looked good today, but considering the level of competition that's not surprising. It'll take a little more convincing against P5 opponents for me, they are all just not very big (all sub-200lbs with Dontae the biggest.) and struggled some against Louisville. Worried that more physical teams will really be able to shut them down.
I'm less concerned about the RB weight and more concerned about the OL's ability to blast open holes for them. It won't matter how big the ball carrier is if the OL can't block anyone.

We'll have a better idea of how the run game is doing after the Ole Miss game. I just pray we figure out a way to pressure the QB by then!

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
Over the 25 or so years I have followed GT football there have been many cases of playing well below expectations some games and well above expectations some others. Something in me hopes the defense that shows up at Ole Miss will be different from what we have seen so far. I don't think they have been sandbagging, just hoping they find it in a big game and decide they like it. The offense seems to like what they're doing.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like our skill guys, but the OL and DL are still below what we need to compete with better teams. Key will get us there because he really seems to care.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Happy for the win, but we're not going to win very many games with this defense. No sacks...gave up almost 200 yards rushing....defensive line gets manhandled by SC State. Not good! On the other hand, the offense looks pretty good!
LOL! Reading this board one would think we lost. Remember the Citadel? I'm sure our D did not practice for SC St. this past week. They were looking at Ole Miss tape. The option needs special practice time we didn't give it. IMHO.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Our offense gives me hope, but as has been said by many the front 7 on defense needs much improvement. Not sure what to think about our DL, maybe a strength and conditioning issue ??? getting pushed around by a SCS OL is very concerning ...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm less concerned about the RB weight and more concerned about the OL's ability to blast open holes for them. It won't matter how big the ball carrier is if the OL can't block anyone.

We'll have a better idea of how the run game is doing after the Ole Miss game. I just pray we figure out a way to pressure the QB by then!
I think that is precisely WHY the size of the ball carrier will matter, because the o-line probably won't do them any favors against decent P5 defenses so the RB is going to have to beat guys straight up for positive yards, and that's a hard battle when you are so small. Jordan Mason was 220 and was able to pickup yards when no hole existed, guys that are 180-200 are going to struggle mightily at that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I liked the technique the prior DL line coached as opposed to what Coleman is teaching. Our D-Line has regressed
I do wonder about Coleman. Love the guy, but all of his DLs here and at MSU have been not good so far. I think Keion himself probably had a bigger effect on our improvement last year and regression this year vs the DL coach, but still it's not a good trend.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder about Coleman. Love the guy, but all of his DLs here and at MSU have been not good so far. I think Keion himself probably had a bigger effect on our improvement last year and regression this year vs the DL coach, but still it's not a good trend.
Charlie got into the backfield a lot of times for TFL's. Not happening so far this year.