Postgame GT 48 : SCST 13

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The offense looks like it will be decent, as long as we can cut out the stupid mistakes like Cooley's fumble at the goal line or Dontae's facemask penalty. King played well, but we left a lot of points on the board. Singleton looks legit, excited about him. It seems Birr will be the kicker going forward, hopefully he continues to make them. I would have liked to see Pyron get a full half, but can somewhat understand that we weren't exactly putting SC State away until the 4th.

Other then Kyle Kennard, I'm really not impressed with anyone on our defense so far. Tackling was again poor. Not very aggressive, lots of letting guys catch the ball, letting the ball carrier come to them to be tackled instead of attacking, not wrapping up and just trying to hit em with your shoulder. Whoever is #1 stood out to me, and not in a good way.

Are refs being told to call holding less and less every year? It seems to have to be insanely egregious to get called anymore, a clear handful of jersey stretched out behind a player is not enough anymore.

I found it interesting that SC State was by far the most effective offensively when running the option. Thankfully they didn't stick to that all game.
Wow, a bit of a Debbie Downer today.

The defense wasn't very good and likely won't be all year. The DL and LBs as groups aren't up the what one would expect of a P5 Team.

The Offense never punted. One goal line fumble. That happens. Glad it happened in a game where our offense totally dominated. Ask Clemson about fumbles when it matters. King was sharp. The receivers were good as well. RBs were good as well. Yes it was an FBS team. Of course that is why it was important for us to play on early this year!

In college football OL should hold every play and grab every receiver on pass plays until refs call the penalties.

Tough game next week!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That may be what happens, but it's why we play the game. Until Ole Miss proves it doesn't phase them on Sept 16, then we should plan to go play our game, punch them in the mouth, and show the disdain for playing in Mississippi held by Dodd. I expect we'll lose by 7-10 points, but they'll know that we came to take no prisioners.
I don't know that I would call it disdain but Dodd was asked point blank by the SEC Commissioner at a Grant Field doubleheader that featured Georgia vs Ole Miss and Tech vs. Kentucky (I think) if he would agree to play at least one of the Mississippi schools. With Johnny Vaught standing right there Dodd said "No offense Johnny, but I can make more money playing Girls High School at Grant Field than going to Mississippi to play." It was, as so often these things were then, about money and attendance. This was in the mid to late 1950s when TV had yet to become a factor and it was all about stadium size and attendance. Tech routinely had 60,000 plus in those days while the Mississippi schools played in very small stadiums of about 20,000 or so. What irked Vaught more than anything though was Dodd's habit of swooping into Mississippi and stealing a couple of the best players in the state nearly every year right out from under his nose.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1694310945053.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Go forth and post
Not much to say. We beat an overmatched team. We have good receivers, good running backs, and a gunslinger at quarterback. Defense is not very good especially the front seven. We will have to score 28 plus points in nearly every game to win. This team will have opposing fans saying "I went to a football game and a track meet broke out." IIWII

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I am most disappointed in our FG kicking. So many games come down to a FG and we have no confidence we can make a FG of any length.

I am jealous watching all of these other schools have solid to great kickers.

Otherwise a solid overall performance for the team.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I only watched the first half. Offense looks palpable. But defense looks soft as hell and frankly I'm tired of it

SC State gave the d fits with option plays. Guarantee you ole miss is taking note of that which doesn't bode well.

D also got lucky that SC State players dropped wide open deep balls.

I'll be rooting for the boys next week though. Go Jackets

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I am most disappointed in our FG kicking. So many games come down to a FG and we have no confidence we can make a FG of any length.

I am jealous watching all of these other schools have solid to great kickers.

Otherwise a solid overall performance for the team.
I was also disappointed to see Stewart miss again since he was reliable last year, but happy to see Key make a quick decision to put in Birr for the next try. Do you have no confidence in Birr as well?

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I was also disappointed to see Stewart miss again since he was reliable last year, but happy to see Key make a quick decision to put in Birr for the next try. Do you have no confidence in Birr as well?
I honestly missed Bitr’s kicks but I see in the stats he hit a 42 yarder. One kick does not lock in confidence but hopefully he is the answer!

But I agree it’s odd since Stewart was reliable last year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Are we playing an attack gap defense or read and react. With so much holding allowed now, an engage/react DL is at a disadvantage.
I have always had my doubts about Thacker. I just don't think he has had enough mentoring. He was LB coach at Temple, promoted by Collins last year there (Duke destroyed them in their bowl BTW), and DC with Collins when he came here. Not enough experience with other programs IMHO. Stats the end of the year will tell. He was DC for two major upsets and several total blowouts. We will find out in November.
I hope it's:
Got to give the lb s sometime to learn before unleashing a full dl penetrate w lb cover the escaling qb or rb. C thomas was not good 2 years ago. But kast year he was great at making plays on escaping rb and qb. Last year when tatum was in for c thomas, it wasnt pretty.

I hope we are cooking by Miami cause they have a good ol.