Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think a big issue on defense is that we are playing soft coverage because we lack the talent in our front six to create havoc behind the line of scrimmage. We are trying to limit big plays and our defensive backs are back peddling because the line gives the other team too much time. Then, the safeties and corners struggle to adjust direction on running plays and end up missing tackles. If we are going to continue to play 4-2-5, then we need the front six to step and make plays and not rely on the DB to make so many tackles.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure I agree with this excuse for the poor defensive play. How are they gassed from only playing 20 min?

D just has to be better. We have several other teams on our schedule that will flat out abuse us if we keep playing that way on that side of the ball.
If the D was gassed after less than 20 mins, combined with the cramping, tells me our S&C coach is not good.

#1 focus this week should be tackling. Even if you improve nothing else on defense, that would make the defense at least mediocre instead of terrible. Guys were in position to make plays a lot and just didn't tackle well at all. There were a few plays where guys sorta tried to wrap up and then just let go and slid off. Why? They should be trying to squeeze the life out of the ball carrier.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If the D was gassed after less than 20 mins, combined with the cramping, tells me our S&C coach is not good.

#1 focus this week should be tackling. Even if you improve nothing else on defense, that would make the defense at least mediocre instead of terrible. Guys were in position to make plays a lot and just didn't tackle well at all. There were a few plays where guys sorta tried to wrap up and then just let go and slid off. Why? They should be trying to squeeze the life out of the ball carrier.
It looked like to me they were trying, but the tackles just got broken.
I don't know if it's bad technique but "wrap up" sounds simple but is easier said than done if the guy you're trying to wrap up is stronger than you are.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If this is true, at the point our defense became "gassed" they had only played about 14 minutes. Do we have the worst conditioned defense in D1?
Oddly I also brought up the conditioning issue when we died in 2nd half vs Lville.(didn't do that great vs SCS also)I think it obvious we are physically not able to sustain effort for some reason. Another thought on missed tackles is lack of strength.Technique plays a role but how much? I have the feeling that most of our defense is either too weak or too slow esp the front 7.
Scoring AT Least 35 a game with NO mistakes or turnovers for rest of season seems very daunting at this point.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We, as fans, need to ease off on the vitriol aimed at coaches. There was a talent level difference last night and those last minutes of the game highlighted that difference.
I don't feel it as vitriol so much as comparative disappointment. We clearly have altered our offense, with better QB play our biggest upgrade. The defense, we've built depth, but the stat charts illustrate the lack of difference maker guys so far. I think we, as fans, were hoping to get the same level up improvement on both sides of the ball. Thru the first games there are some tackling themes and a lack of turnovers.

I think that's where the 'board' coaches want to see Thacker have a scheme impact and are disappointed. It doesn't appear to be the case so far. I don't see him on a short leash, yet.... but this type of performance can't continue.

I'm still excited to see an improved football team. I would like to see us put together a dominant team win next week. It would go a long way towards calming the natives.

Angry Protest GIF by Minions

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s just mad Tech didn’t burn our entire AA budget and then some to hire Deion
I’m not in favor of Tech hiring Sanders as coach for the simple reason that I don’t believe the Hill would make the changes needed for him to succeed here. And frankly I even slightly lean on the administration’s side here.

But the idea that Prime Time would burn the budget down is beyond hilarious.

The guy earned the Colorado AA $0.5 million in their spring game in ticket fees. Throw in concessions, etc. it’s pretty easy to see how he would have brought in about a $1mm before the season even began. That in itself would cover 20% of his salary and 40% of the gap between Key and Sanders’s salary.

Colorado tickets sold at $400 on average for the game at Nebraska. That’s $20mm in ticket sales there. Even if the AA isn’t able to capture all of that, being extremely conservative they could capture about 5% of that, so about $1mm per game. Over 6 games that already exceeds his $5.5mm annual salary.

And all of this is without considering the special impact he would have in the city of Atlanta where he is fondly remembered for being both a Falcon and a Brave.

JacketFan137

Banned
Oddly I also brought up the conditioning issue when we died in 2nd half vs Lville.(didn't do that great vs SCS also)I think it obvious we are physically not able to sustain effort for some reason. Another thought on missed tackles is lack of strength.Technique plays a role but how much? I have the feeling that most of our defense is either too weak or too slow esp the front 7.
Scoring AT Least 35 a game with NO mistakes or turnovers for rest of season seems very daunting at this point.
we did bring in a new s&c coach. how much that is coming in to play im not sure

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Conditioning also cannot make up for the fact that lack of depth means your starters are in there for too long.

Is there a place one can find advanced individual stats such as number of snaps played, etc for college?

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty sure this was all aftermarket
Yeah, which shows value. You think the AA cannot increase ticket prices to capture 5% of that?

Well then everyone in the AA needs to be fired immediately.

Also, I’m pretty sure SeatGeek, TicketMaster, etc have agreements to give the original seller a cut in every aftermarket ticket sale. If one can’t translate the hype Prime brings into getting a cut of that they should not be part of the AA.

And even where they don’t have an explicit agreement, most promotions have a workaround. They buy their own tickets and sell them in the aftermarket. Now, I’m not sure if Tech could do this being a public entity, but there’s many ways that the real hype that Sanders brings could be transformed into $1mm additional earnings per game. And if you’re unable to figure that out you probably shouldn’t be leading the AA.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
the deion goal posts keep moving the more and more he wins. took a 1 win team to 3-0, ranked and selling out every game. absolutely remarkable turnaround.

most of these users that are saying stuff like what you replied to were so dismissive of deion even being a good coach they are just seething mad and hate that there is even a suggestion that we probably should have hired him

there are a couple of things that popped into my head.

First of all, no one knew if he WAS going to be succesful at the D1 level. I didn't you didn't. Deion didn't although I am sure he believed he would be. Just as i am sure that Collins believed he was going to be. Early returns are indeed promising but if you can foresee the future you should be trading stocks or on sports betting sites, not this one.

Also, the events that you are talking about are NOT mutually exclusive. They (CBK and CDS) may ultimately be successful. But 3 games in is not a lot of data although the monetary results of his hire are indeed eye opening.

Third, do we know for a fact that there were or wre NOT conversations between GT and Deion. Everything I have read is conjecture or speculation (or appears to be) about us not having enough money or Deion wasn't interested or that we never even talked to the guy. I would love it if someone could prove me wrong

Fourthly I am happy for Coach Sanders. I heard Colin Cowherd say (in talking about CDS) that when he was younger he was rigid in his beliefs - that there was just one approach to many of life's challenges. As he has aged, he has learned that there are many approaches to things. Deion appears to have his individual approach to things and that is marvelous. I have no ill will toward the guy and hope he wins the natty this year now that we have been eliminated. But I hope CBK wins it next year.

Lastly, why waste time mulling over the past? Prime is NOT walking through that door. I don't see anything of value in rehashing past decisions. Regards.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
Clearly Ole Miss is a superior team right now. Mistakes like not converting twice on fourth down from the red zone and in one case first and goal and add the blocked fg attempt cost us anywhere from 9-17 points before the late scores.
Positives: Offense is finding its way, much better than a year ago and are a work in progress, and substantially improved on the # of stupid penalties.
Negatives: Defense got blown out, manhandled and out-finessed in the second half, a trend I am afraid. Specialty teams remain a disaster except for the no return kick offs. Lots of injuries last night, I need to get an update on some of the players who limped or were assisted off the field, very concerning.
We have opportunities to gain momentum and close out the year with 6 wins probable, 7 wins with upsets and 4-5 wins if we tank).
at Wake (we can win this game if we go up there healthy which is a big question mark)
Bowling Green (we should win this game)
at Miami (chalk up a loss but need to compete down there)
BC (we can win this game)
UNC (Homecoming Weekend, we can win this game, another upset)
at UVA (winnable)
at Clemson (they will be much better by then and I see a Loss)
Syracuse (tough game, they are playing well but I say a close W)
UGA (LOSS)

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I wish I was as confident as many of you that we beat Wake. They are a good team and very well coached
Dunno if we beat Wake but I expect us to go up there and play hard, fundamentally sound football and compete like hell.

Continue to keep penalties and turnovers low. Clean up FG protection/snap. Play better D. Finish drives. Improve in these areas and we have a good chance to win.

OL play is encouraging... just scratching the surface there I think. O starting to be consistent, have an identity.

Defense needs to come together, folks need to do their jobs, coaches need to get some things fixed.TACKLE. Guys gotta emege at DE, LBs starting to show flashes but need consistency. We have the potential to improve markedly on D. Won't be world beaters this year but should be able to get more stops. Let's get it done!

slugboy

Staff member
@JacketFan137 and @Eli, it looks like you both need to take a break from each other. I’ll temporarily give you a short break from this thread.

Personally, I’m gonna go outside and enjoy myself. I know the game yesterday sucked—it wasn’t a great use of MY Saturday evening—and I hope everybody can get their mind set for this week.