Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
For what it's worth:
  • GT offense: 89 plays (5.4 yds/play)
  • Miss offense: 56 plays (9.8 yds/play)
We defended a fairly low number of plays, in large part because our first string was ineffective from the start.
I turned off the game when Ole Miss score on A running play from just outside the red zone...the running back walked in untouched....demoralizing...we have a long way to go to be competitive with top 20 teams

Eli

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth:
We defended a fairly low number of plays, in large part because our first string was ineffective from the start.
I am very impressed with Buster Faulkner and the offensive staff. Buster can call a game and the improvements made on offense rarely happen so quickly

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
a lot of excuses for key sound eerily similar to the excuses that weren’t allowed for collins. still terrible special teams and don’t know who our kicker and punter should be.

we are not a well coached team yet
We are not a well stocked team yet.

While we improved the Offensive roster, the defense stinks. Last year when White and Thomas, and Ely were keeping us in games by making plays, the team seemed to be well coached, right?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For what it's worth:
First half Ole Miss drives

8 plays, 50 yards, 6.25
8 plays 34 yards, 4.25
8 plays, 93 yards, 11.625
9 plays, 32 yards, 3.56

Fist half, 33 plays, 209 yards, 6.33

Second half:

5 plays, 71 yards, 14.2
5 plays, 28 yards, 5.6
3 plays, 2 yards, 0.67
7 plays, 48 yards, 6.86
2 plays, 68 yards, 34.0
2 plays, 34 yards, 17.0
2 plays, 50 yards, 25.0

Up until the 4th quarter they had two drives where we looked bad. In 4th qtr, after they kicked the FG we went 3 & out quickly and the gates opened on our defense. Those last three possessions really distorted the stats. I am not saying we played great defense at any point, but the margin got wacky because our guys were not playing even that previous level of D any longer.

slugboy

Staff member

8 plays, 50 yards, 6.25
8 plays 34 yards, 4.25
9 plays, 32 yards, 3.56

Second half:

5 plays, 71 yards, 14.2
5 plays, 28 yards, 5.6
3 plays, 2 yards, 0.67
7 plays, 48 yards, 6.86
2 plays, 68 yards, 34.0
2 plays, 34 yards, 17.0
2 plays, 50 yards, 25.0

Up until the 4th quarter they had two drives where we looked bad. In 4th qtr, after they kicked the FG we went 3 & out quickly and the gates opened on our defense. Those last three possessions really distorted the stats. I am not saying we played great defense at any point, but the margin got wacky because our guys were not playing even that previous level of D any longer.

There was one play in the 4th quarter where people said the Ole Miss running back dodged three tackles. I didn’t think anyone was near enough to make a tackle—it was one of the worst defensive series I’ve seen in a while.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

8 plays, 50 yards, 6.25
8 plays 34 yards, 4.25
9 plays, 32 yards, 3.56

Second half:

5 plays, 71 yards, 14.2
5 plays, 28 yards, 5.6
3 plays, 2 yards, 0.67
7 plays, 48 yards, 6.86
2 plays, 68 yards, 34.0
2 plays, 34 yards, 17.0
2 plays, 50 yards, 25.0

I think you need to reassess what is “bad.” Are you honestly trying to argue that giving up 6.33 yds per play isn’t bad? That means the opponent is picking up a first down every two plays. That’s pretty much perfect offense.

Just because they didn’t score on 1-2 plays doesn’t mean it wasn’t bad. It was really bad. Then it got really, really bad late.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

8 plays, 50 yards, 6.25
8 plays 34 yards, 4.25
9 plays, 32 yards, 3.56

Second half:

5 plays, 71 yards, 14.2
5 plays, 28 yards, 5.6
3 plays, 2 yards, 0.67
7 plays, 48 yards, 6.86
2 plays, 68 yards, 34.0
2 plays, 34 yards, 17.0
2 plays, 50 yards, 25.0

In which of the four first half drives do you think our defense looked ok?

What were the "two drives we looked bad" prior to the 4th quarter?

1694959764526.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Let's talk about defensive coaching and scheme.

In Q2, we missed our 4th down conversion on our second drive. King put the ball slightly behind Blalock and the pass was knocked down. Ok, I liked the aggression and at least Ole Miss was backed up on their end of the field.

Our defense forced a 3rd and 3 deep on Ole Miss' end. What did we do?

Every one of our DBs lined up 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and back pedaled at the snap. Ole Miss runs a 4 yard out, uncontested, and converts the first down. That is scheme or coaching. That is not a talent issue.

Ole Miss would then drive 93 yards and stop themselves via a dropped pass in the end zone with no defensive player in arm's reach of defending the pass.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When I went down the tunnel at half I was thinking how lucky we were to even be in the game. I felt like if we somehow pulled things together or forced some turnovers we’d have a chance to win. But then the keep away game we were playing just wasn’t sustainable.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let's talk about defensive coaching and scheme.

In Q2, we missed our 4th down conversion on our second drive. King put the ball slightly behind Blalock and the pass was knocked down. Ok, I liked the aggression and at least Ole Miss was backed up on their end of the field.

Our defense forced a 3rd and 3 deep on Ole Miss' end. What did we do?

Every one of our DBs lined up 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and back pedaled at the snap. Ole Miss runs a 4 yard out, uncontested, and converts the first down. That is scheme or coaching. That is not a talent issue.
Reminds me of the 2012 VT game in Blacksburg.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
O has potential, and D showed more flashes, but we have to tackle better, especially in the 4th. Need a win the next two weeks to start feeling a touch better.

Refs were on Ole Miss's side in key moments, but we were still in it until we suddenly weren't. I'm hopeful for the future and think we might be able to beat most remaining teams not named Clemson or UGA. That said, it has to start next Saturday at 6:30.
If we start off 1-3 a 6 win season would require that we win 5 of the last 8 games. With our schedule that is a hard hill to climb. I am not optimistic

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I was disappointed last night because I actually thought we might win the game. It was 24-17 in the 4th quarter and our offense was cooking. We held Miss to a FG and I was almost certain we were about to make it a 3-point game. So, what happened?

The last seven minutes of the game our gassed defense stopped being even a wee bit effective at slowing Miss. But, let's not lose track of the fact that for 7/8 of the game we were the equal of a Top 20 team. I could quibble with some plays or decisions here and there, but our coaches called a good game. The defensive trauma in my mind is mostly about missed tackles. A number of plays we just did not wrap up the ball carrier. I am not sure that's the coaches' fault.

We are probably a year away from being competitive for an entire game with the likes of Miss, but we're getting there. We are not going to be Colorado. We, as fans, need to ease off on the vitriol aimed at coaches. There was a talent level difference last night and those last minutes of the game highlighted that difference.
If this is true, at the point our defense became "gassed" they had only played about 14 minutes. Do we have the worst conditioned defense in D1?

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We’re up 28-13 against Louisville at half … we’re up 28-0 just before the half against SCSt … we’re down 10-3 at half and 24-17 in 4th tonight … why do you think our defense falls apart and can’t step up later in the game? Coaching? We let up? Obviously lack of pressure and missed tackles/blown coverage. What gives?
It's called lack of talent and no depth. Most teams rotate 8-10 DL & 5-6 LBs during the game. We desperately need quality DL and LBs.

slugboy

Staff member
There is one thing we can finally put to rest.
“Paul Johnson has bad defenses because of the triple option.” Haha

In all seriousness our d-line is soft. These guys are juniors and seniors I am not impressed with Marco during his time here
We’re Tech people. You’d think we’d try a root cause analysis and figure out what was the problem.

Seems like we can have a good offense or a good defense, but having both is a rarity

JacketFan137

Banned
We are not a well stocked team yet.

While we improved the Offensive roster, the defense stinks. Last year when White and Thomas, and Ely were keeping us in games by making plays, the team seemed to be well coached, right?
it’s making it seem like we had some talent that was making that side of the ball seem better than the coaches actually were. at least through three games this season and the previous body of work from this staff. hoping they prove otherwise by the end of the season but at this point i think they’ve kinda showed us what they are

GTweatherguy

Georgia Tech Fan
Positives: Offensive improvements have been great to see this season!

Negatives: We lack playmakers on defense. We’ve shuffled defensive staff so much that IMO no scheme can make up for a lack of playmakers and depth for us to play 4 quarters against top 20 teams.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Defense.
Clearly our biggest problem. I've never been a fan of his philosophy. Bend, don't break, soft on the corners, tackle high to try to strip the ball ( he actually said that).
Talent: DL and LB are the most difficult to recruit for GT. Overall, they have the lowest GPA of all players. So the pool of avilable players, AND their aptitude for school limits our recruiting. Here's where NIL $ should be used for the transfer pool. A few stut DL and LB would make a huge difference.