Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I expect that the defense will improve slightly week to week as we play more this season, barring untold amounts of injury.

We lost our best remaining DL after the spring game when Stone transferred to Ole Miss. We lost another DL to the NFL and two great LBs to graduation. With Yondjouen out for the season we are relying on a lot of new players. I stated in the preseason that I fully expected the defense to be a good bit worse this year, but I don't think it will remain terrible. As the remaining players get more practice time and game time I would expect them to improve. We are already seeing Kennard begin to emerge as a possible answer. Our DBs are exposed because we can't generate a pass rush. If we can find ways to dial up some pressure, I think you'll see a defense that can keep a game from getting out of hand and allow the offense to win it for us.
Love your optimism. I see nothing about our defense that is encouraging. The DL loses nearly all one on one battles. Gets zero pressure and no penetration to disrupt running plays and routinely gets beat on the edges. The LBs get caught up in blocks on almost every play. When they don't they are often way out of position. The DBs don't tackle well at all. They are required to cover for very long routes and even though they seldom press their man at the line they still get beat deep often.

To date they have give zero reason for optimism from our defense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do we have the LBs to run it this year?
Not a formation problem

Could be right that theThack attack is too talent dependent.

Imo, Guys are playing to not get beaten.

At the end this last game the other team ran 6 plays and scores 3TDs.

I don't care what you call it, we have to change something.

This reminds me when we had our saftey so deep on the called fake scramble in WF game and qb ran to corner goal post.
Saftey is in NFL.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
To me it seems more like a roster problem. We have to get some above average talent on the D line and at LB. In the absence of that we will struggle.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
To me it seems more like a roster problem. We have to get some above average talent on the D line and at LB. In the absence of that we will struggle.
3 2 play drives for td to end the game

Got to do something now.

Got to trust Key.to adjust coaching.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the criticisms of the Western Carolina, Texas Tech, and Lincoln Riley offenses is that the practice pace speeds up to give the offense reps, but the defense gets sloppy.

I didn’t think it would happen to us, but the timing aligns.

It’s the B12 “win games 44-43” scheme
The sloppy defense isn't a new problem. We've been awful on D for years now.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not a formation problem

Could be right that theThack attack is too talent dependent.

Imo, Guys are playing to not get beaten.

At the end this last game the other team ran 6 plays and scores 3TDs.

I don't care what you call it, we have to change something.

This reminds me when we had our saftey so deep on the called fake scramble in WF game and qb ran to corner goal post.
Saftey is in NFL.
3 games into the season, what do you suggest. What good defensive coordinators are out now looking for a job. Also, transitioning at this point would again set us back.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My impressions (a bit late; I've had more important (well, they are!) things to do):

The Good
• King had a pretty good game. The guy can throw. I wish he was a bit more ready to run, like Dart. They're quite similar, imho, and should be used accordingly.
• The RBs had a decent game. Losing Cooley when he was on a roll hurt, but Haynes did an ok job in relief. Problem = he can't get us that extra yard as consistently as Cooley. And where's Smith? Is he hurt?
• The WRs continue to be the strength of the team. They missed a couple of vital catches, but that happens. Usually, get the ball in their vicinity and they catch it. Fast too. And this applies to even the (gasp, again!) TEs.
• From late in the 3rd quarter on the D suddenly seemed to sporadically remember how to tackle! I repeat: there was some actual tackling going on, at least every now and then.
• A fake punt? Good! Well executed too. At least until the refs simply refused to see a blatant D hold!

The Bad:
• Again, the D. Why is the first move of the DL to stand straight up? Why are the LBs always out of position? Why do we continue to see WRs wide open, as in no DB within 5 yards or more? Why does the tackling continue to be so - like I just said - sporadic? I suspect this is a talent issue, but why can't our DC compensate for that? We looked as out of school as we did under TFG.
• I said awhile ago that I was afraid that the O staff would try to run a Ugag/Bama O, even though it is obvious that we don't have that level of talent. Unfortunately, it appears to me that we are doing just that. Our total O figures are decent, but we aren't cashing in because we don't have the talent to run over the other side consistently. Ole Miss got way too many short fields from this.
• The OL continues to be spotty. Ok, we aren't giving up too many sacks. But that's because King can't take the time to look everything over. Short passes = fewer sacks.
• When, Oh, Merciful God, will we finally get our field goal kicking consistent and stop it from being a liability instead of an asset? What? What was that? Ok, you're right. I didn't mean to blame you.. It's Tech's fault.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My impressions (a bit late; I've had more important (well, they are!) things to do):

The Good
• King had a pretty good game. The guy can throw. I wish he was a bit more ready to run, like Dart. They're quite similar, imho, and should be used accordingly.
• The RBs had a decent game. Losing Cooley when he was on a roll hurt, but Haynes did an ok job in relief. Problem = he can't get us that extra yard as consistently as Cooley. And where's Smith? Is he hurt?
• The WRs continue to be the strength of the team. They missed a couple of vital catches, but that happens. Usually, get the ball in their vicinity and they catch it. Fast too. And this applies to even the (gasp, again!) TEs.
• From late in the 3rd quarter on the D suddenly seemed to sporadically remember how to tackle! I repeat: there was some actual tackling going on, at least every now and then.
• A fake punt? Good! Well executed too. At least until the refs simply refused to see a blatant D hold!

The Bad:
• Again, the D. Why is the first move of the DL to stand straight up? Why are the LBs always out of position? Why do we continue to see WRs wide open, as in no DB within 5 yards or more? Why does the tackling continue to be so - like I just said - sporadic? I suspect this is a talent issue, but why can't our DC compensate for that? We looked as out of school as we did under TFG.
• I said awhile ago that I was afraid that the O staff would try to run a Ugag/Bama O, even though it is obvious that we don't have that level of talent. Unfortunately, it appears to me that we are doing just that. Our total O figures are decent, but we aren't cashing in because we don't have the talent to run over the other side consistently. Ole Miss got way too many short fields from this.
• The OL continues to be spotty. Ok, we aren't giving up too many sacks. But that's because King can't take the time to look everything over. Short passes = fewer sacks.
• When, Oh, Merciful God, will we finally get our field goal kicking consistent and stop it from being a liability instead of an asset? What? What was that? Ok, you're right. I didn't mean to blame you.. It's Tech's fault.
Dontae is listed as "questionable" for the Wake Forest game: