Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

GT121314

Georgia Tech Fan
Other than money, does anyone know why we don't have a D-Line coach? I've checked our website, and there isn't one listed. Using my limited google searches, most teams have a D-Line coach, so how do we not have one on staff?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Crazy he isn't even listed on the website. Our tech guys must be slacking to not have all of our coaches listed

1695145714442.png

GT121314

Georgia Tech Fan
Got it. I didn't realize we listed our coaches under the roster section. When I searched it, it only gave the recruiting subsection:
1695146481986.png

And Coleman isn't listed here

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do you think that will change anything? Sherrer is already Co-DC, and Thacker is not HC.

Now, before everybody gets their panties in a wad, we must remember we have played two very good teams while most (the SEC) have played none. Louisville is early season pick as one of top ACC teams and Ole Miss is probably one of top 10 offensive teams in P5.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would suggest that Coach Key shelve the acting job prior to the fake punt. The TV camera showed him on the sidelines throwing a fit and yelling punt prior to the play. When I saw this, I knew the fake was coming. I remember Paul doing the same thing at Clemson 10 years ago, but that one worked probably because Paul threw fits all the time. I've seen other coaches pull the same act and I have to say the cat is out of the bag. Same thing on fake field goals - often times the coaches try to oversell the opposite. A good, alert coaching staff should pick these things up and warn our guys that something is coming. For us in the future, I'd say just act normal.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would suggest that Coach Key shelve the acting job prior to the fake punt. The TV camera showed him on the sidelines throwing a fit and yelling punt prior to the play. When I saw this, I knew the fake was coming. I remember Paul doing the same thing at Clemson 10 years ago, but that one worked probably because Paul threw fits all the time. I've seen other coaches pull the same act and I have to say the cat is out of the bag. Same thing on fake field goals - often times the coaches try to oversell the opposite. A good, alert coaching staff should pick these things up and warn our guys that something is coming. For us in the future, I'd say just act normal.
Key has thrown a fit in every game we’ve played. I legit doubt he was acting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are saying logically. What i am having trouble with, after the last 10-15 years or whatever, is that it is apparently impossible for the coaches to fix the issue during the course of a season for whatever reason. If they knew what to do, they would have already done it. It sounds a bit jaded or harsh but how many bad D's and coordinators have we seen in these years??? I have come to believe that to quote one pretty smart guy, iiwii.
The “solution” we haven’t tried yet is finding enough financial resources so that whoever is head coach can hire the best guy he can get. Maybe Thacker was Key’s first choice and will turn out to be the man but our history here at Tech says otherwise.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The big one for me (and Coach Dodd) was that Ole Miss started three drives inside Tech territory. One of these was on the blocked field goal. You just can't win with that kind of performance.

One other minus I failed to mention in my impressions: Tech seemed to be having trouble getting plays in. We had multiple instances of not getting a play called until under 10 seconds and several of these ran right up to the end of the play clock. I'm not sure why this is happening - I would guess inexperience with the O - but I hope we cure it soon. If necessary run the play in with a sub, like Paul used to.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

That wasn't why the fake failed. It was wide open, unfortunately the refs elected to ignore the massive hold on Seither.