post spring Q&A with CPJ

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope none of you guys are expecting us to sling it around more this year.

You have said that you think your team has a chance to be better than what most think. What have you seen from this team to give you that optimism?
I think we've exceeded the preseason predictions every year. The kids have worked hard, and they've bought in. Staying healthy, as always, will be a key. We were in pretty much every game last season and I don't see a drop-off (in talent). Last year we weren't very good, or as good as I would like, at running the ball. I think we'll be better running it this fall. That has been an emphasis of ours all spring.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042514aac.html

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
It does seem like a back to basics approach. Then again, there are two games last year against strong opponents (Miami and UGA) where we got out to an early lead. If we were able to run the ball better, maybe we close those games out (especially against UGA).

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Oops, I reposted this in Eric's thread.

The entire Q&A is a good read but that quote is what I liked most about the article.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We already did the more pass attempts in 2013 with associated losses.

Let's run the ball and execute the plays. Smash mouth football with Byerly sounds fun to me.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
7-6
7-7
8-4
6-7
11-3
9-4

So the one year threw the ball more was detrimental to that years record or just more of the same?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would say a ~40% pass efficiency with more passing was detrimental.

More of the same is not all the same. I would say 2010, 2011, 2012 was a defensive issue as a whole. 2013 the defense improved and the offense regressed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As the immortal Al Davis used to say: "Just win, baby!"

I'd like to see us pass more but at the end of the day I'd much rather see us win more. I think if we continue to have OL problems, whether we run or pass isn't going to matter because we're going to have problems doing both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would say a ~40% pass efficiency with more passing was detrimental.

More of the same is not all the same. I would say 2010, 2011, 2012 was a defensive issue as a whole. 2013 the defense improved and the offense regressed.
Rubbish! Don't you know anything, the offense is the sole reason for losing games.

boozinbuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
It drives me crazy watching opposing defenses cheat the secondary up to the line and then see the ball snapped and ran right into these waiting defenders. How hard can it be to have some type of quick slant audible at the line when they see this?

After hearing CPJ's remarks at lunch bunch a few weeks back, I think we are going to see a version of the offense much more like the 2011 version with Tevin. It doesn't really get me all that hyped but ultimately if running the ball wins games, I can deal with it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It drives me crazy watching opposing defenses cheat the secondary up to the line and then see the ball snapped and ran right into these waiting defenders. How hard can it be to have some type of quick slant audible at the line when they see this?

After hearing CPJ's remarks at lunch bunch a few weeks back, I think we are going to see a version of the offense much more like the 2011 version with Tevin. It doesn't really get me all that hyped but ultimately if running the ball wins games, I can deal with it.

It does just not the big ones or against above average competitive teams.
Yay(y)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are a lot of ways to move the football and score. What confuses me is the high percentage of football fans (not just TECH fans) who find passing a more exciting way of doing it. For me, watching a well executed run play, whether option related or not, break free for yards is a thing of beauty. I realize we will need to be able to throw to keep the run game effective or to win in a two minute type situation. However, if we are moving the football well on the ground, I don't care if we ever throw.

I am OK with throwing more as a staple of the offense, but only if we do it well. Doing it just to do it makes no sense to me at all.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, if we start passing at 60%, than let us pass or if we hit +50% on the deep balls I am good as well.

Don't pass at 40% and keep on doing it.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if we start passing at 60%, than let us pass or if we hit +50% on the deep balls I am good as well.

Don't pass at 40% and keep on doing it.

Is 50+ % on deep balls a reasonable goal? It would seem to me that few teams complete 50% or more of deep balls.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
Is 50+ % on deep balls a reasonable goal? It would seem to me that few teams complete 50% or more of deep balls.
Isn't part of the idea of passing at all in our offense to go over the defense if they are cheating forward? In theory our deep balls should have a higher completion percentage than a standard offense.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of ways to move the football and score. What confuses me is the high percentage of football fans (not just TECH fans) who find passing a more exciting way of doing it. For me, watching a well executed run play, whether option related or not, break free for yards is a thing of beauty. I realize we will need to be able to throw to keep the run game effective or to win in a two minute type situation. However, if we are moving the football well on the ground, I don't care if we ever throw.

I am OK with throwing more as a staple of the offense, but only if we do it well. Doing it just to do it makes no sense to me at all.

yep, you can play offense effectively a bunch of ways.We try to run the ball mostly, but we have proved that you had better have a superior OL and/or backs to be successful if you don't have a pass game.If you can't make a DEf pay for crashing the safeties and/or LBs up,you will most probably lose It is easy to SAY-we are going back to basics and just basically run without a legitimate pass game -lets see if you can do it vs the good teams.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
yep, you can play offense effectively a bunch of ways.We try to run the ball mostly, but we have proved that you had better have a superior OL and/or backs to be successful if you don't have a pass game.If you can't make a DEf pay for crashing the safeties and/or LBs up,you will most probably lose It is easy to SAY-we are going back to basics and just basically run without a legitimate pass game -lets see if you can do it vs the good teams.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
+1000
The only caveat I have is that we've already seen what it looks like versus good teams.