Post season awards for GT hoops

Deleted member 2897

UNC is flush with 4 and 5 star players, had many good ones returning, and had Roy as coach and his system in place for a long time. And they still lost 6 games. And it's a Fake University. Sad!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
This jumped out at me. Something to watch as present and future recruiting classes are built.

"Tech’s success with lesser talent has made such an impression upon Pastner that he said it has “absolutely” caused him to re-calculate the importance of recruiting players with the team-first attitude that his players have shown.

“As I move forward in recruiting, we’ve got to recruit great players, but it can never be about them,” he said."

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
This jumped out at me. Something to watch as present and future recruiting classes are built.

"Tech’s success with lesser talent has made such an impression upon Pastner that he said it has “absolutely” caused him to re-calculate the importance of recruiting players with the team-first attitude that his players have shown.

“As I move forward in recruiting, we’ve got to recruit great players, but it can never be about them,” he said."
Hopefully this means he won't flounder as he did at memphis

slugboy

Staff member
This. This is why CJP won.

Roy had a stacked, experienced roster that was expected to compete for top of the ACC.

Coach of the Year should go to the best job of coaching this year. You can make a case for about 3, maybe 4, more deserving than Roy for doing a better job of coaching in order to produce outsized results. CJP did the most with the "least" and did it while coming in with a questionable rep following his stint at Memphis and basically reinventing his coaching style.

I know there's some sarcasm there, but...In Roy's favor, I gotta give him credit for stacking his roster. That's part of coaching too. I hope that Pastner can get a rerun in a couple of years with a stacked/stocked roster. I'd like to rack up some wins at UVa, VT, and the other places we lost this year.

Looking back, I think BC had the "least". We're thin, but we're not BC thin.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this means he won't flounder as he did at memphis

I think it means he learned his lesson at Memphis. That is an very insular program that he thought needed to play to the local AAU scene which to be fair has a ton of high end talent - but a reputation for talent with attitudes/baggage. Cal had the gravitas to deal with it - Josh did not. Getting out of there was really smart on his part and I think/hope/believe he will deal with GA AAU programs/kids on a more straight up basis than he reportedly did at Memphis.

I don't buy into the mantra that we are better off with 3 star kids who just wanted to go to Tech since birth. We are in the ACC and that means 4/5 star targets and dare I say it even One and Dones (ducking quickly now for the boulders from the gallery). But there is a way to do that and kids to target that work as a team - not as a pedestal for other things the way Memphis had a rep for. I think he has learned from his Memphis experience. Signs sure point that direction.

Deleted member 2897

I don't buy into the mantra that we are better off with 3 star kids who just wanted to go to Tech since birth. We are in the ACC and that means 4/5 star targets and dare I say it even One and Dones (ducking quickly now for the boulders from the gallery). But there is a way to do that and kids to target that work as a team - not as a pedestal for other things the way Memphis had a rep for. I think he has learned from his Memphis experience. Signs sure point that direction.

There really is no such thing as a given 'one and done' during recruiting. Even the best 5* athletes out there sometimes take time to develop. And even then, if they aren't a lock for a certain draft pick, they'll give it another year. 14 college freshmen got drafted into the NBA last year, so roughly equivalent to 50% of 5* players if you want to look at it that way. (They probably weren't all 5* recruits, but I'm not going to go research that.) Not sure how many 4* basketball recruits there are - a couple hundred? Anyway, my point is that the sample size is ultimately so small, that my personal opinion is you should never stop recruiting someone just because they might be so good that they leave after 1 year. Unless its an attitude issue - that they are already so arrogant/confident/cocky that they want to leave after 1 year and are more in it for them than for the team. But if you bring in say a good 4* player, he blows up his first year and can get drafted so he leaves, it kind of is what it is. That will not be good for continuity, but I don't think Georgia Tech is good enough to run into that problem every year. AND, whether you like it or not, players getting drafted feeds more future recruits your way.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think it means he learned his lesson at Memphis. That is an very insular program that he thought needed to play to the local AAU scene which to be fair has a ton of high end talent - but a reputation for talent with attitudes/baggage. Cal had the gravitas to deal with it - Josh did not. Getting out of there was really smart on his part and I think/hope/believe he will deal with GA AAU programs/kids on a more straight up basis than he reportedly did at Memphis.

We need one and dones. Simple as that. But you can't just bring in Ben Simmons and say ok we're going to the final four. You need the 3*, 3-4yr guys who know how to play, provide leadership and be coaches on the court. You need the kid who is going to play defense. You need the 6'9 Big who is going to get big minutes when your stud post gets in foul trouble in the dance (happens 50 times a tournament)

slugboy

Staff member
This is football-oriented, but it's a good story on recruiting for culture from SI: How to sign the perfect class. You can't just sign 5-stars, you have to sign 5 stars that can play together. Or, 4 and 5 stars that can play together.

Deleted member 2897

This is football-oriented, but it's a good story on recruiting for culture from SI: How to sign the perfect class. You can't just sign 5-stars, you have to sign 5 stars that can play together. Or, 4 and 5 stars that can play together.

This is (in my opinion) why schools [sic] like u[sic]ga and others in the SEC for the most part do so utterly horrible compared to the ranking of their recruiting classes. I think many of those coaches just start at the top of the rankings and recruit downward regardless of who the kid is, their integrity, fit into their offense/defense schemes, fit in their culture, etc. You're then left with a big bowl of the best spaghetti you ever tasted. But its a big bowl of spaghetti that's nearly impossible to untangle and get in any semblance of order.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC fans have a little (albeit unjustified) reason to have gripe. The last 10 years, COTY was won by the coach that won the confrence 5 times. The other 5 times it was won, Roy Williams won the conference and didn't get the award. So there's a little salt there in a tiny conspiracy. Then again, Coach K has won !!3!!! national titles since he last won the award and you really dont see duke complaining. Grats to J-Past and lets hope this keeps looking good moving forward. My dad told me we would make the NIT this year after seeing us play one game and I am as shocked now as I was back then at this team. Go Jackets.

Deleted member 2897

UNC fans have a little (albeit unjustified) reason to have gripe. The last 10 years, COTY was won by the coach that won the confrence 5 times. The other 5 times it was won, Roy Williams won the conference and didn't get the award. So there's a little salt there in a tiny conspiracy. Then again, Coach K has won !!3!!! national titles since he last won the award and you really dont see duke complaining. Grats to J-Past and lets hope this keeps looking good moving forward. My dad told me we would make the NIT this year after seeing us play one game and I am as shocked now as I was back then at this team. Go Jackets.

UNC is a Fake University. Sad!

But seriously, with what was uncovered, they should just be quiet and grateful that their program wasn't shut down.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know there's some sarcasm there, but...In Roy's favor, I gotta give him credit for stacking his roster. That's part of coaching too. I hope that Pastner can get a rerun in a couple of years with a stacked/stocked roster. I'd like to rack up some wins at UVa, VT, and the other places we lost this year.

Looking back, I think BC had the "least". We're thin, but we're not BC thin.

If you break it down UNC's roster is not as stacked as Duke's and I could argue only about as stacked as FSU or Louisville. So I think Roy does get some legit credit for both having a very good roster and winning the league with a comfortable margin. I still would vote for CJP but I can understand a little saltiness from UNC fans. We would be no different.

Deleted member 2897

If you break it down UNC's roster is not as stacked as Duke's and I could argue only about as stacked as FSU or Louisville. So I think Roy does get some legit credit for both having a very good roster and winning the league with a comfortable margin. I still would vote for CJP but I can understand a little saltiness from UNC fans. We would be no different.

Justin Jackson, 5*, 0.9966 rating. #1 SF in the country.
Theo Pinson, 5*, 0.9944 rating. #3 PF in the country.
Isaiah Hicks, 5*, 0.9933 rating. #4 PF in the country.
Tony Bradley, 5*, 0.9901 rating. #4 C in the country.
Joel Berry II, high 4*, 0.9876 rating. #4 PG in the country.
Seventh Woods, high 4*, 0.9804. #8 CG in the country.
Kennedy Meeks, high 4*, 0.9763 rating. #5 C in the country.
Brandon Robinson, high 4*, 0.9759. #9 SG in the country.
Kenny Williams, 4*, 0.9458 rating. #30 SG in the country.

These are their top 9 players in terms of scoring this year. I stopped there and am assuming the rest are lower rated, but not sure.

What do you think Coach Josh Pastner would do with this roster instead of ours?
What do you think about a team like this that loses 6 games?

What do you think about a team like this that lost to Indiana (17-14), Georgia Tech (17-14), Miami (20-10), Kentucky, Duke, and Virginia (21-9), and beat Clemson (16-14) in overtime, beat Pittsburgh (15-16) by 2 points, beat Tennessee (16-15) by 2 points...

Don't get me wrong, they are a great team with a lot of great victories. But when your roster 9 deep is full of literally the top players in the country, 26-6 with some of these performances don't jump out at me as proof that there is a lot of elite coaching going on. I would ask myself - how would this exact team with these players do with any other ACC coach there?