Post Game

100 percent correct. We are the definition of insanity, continuing to do the same expecting different results
And yet you apparently want to continue the "coaching carousel" that we have been on since Dodd. Duhh, isn't that an example of continuing to do the same, while expecting different results. It's that constant rotation of HC's over the past 50 years that have produced the mediocrity people claim the program has sunk to. Getting rid of Johnson would just be more of the same. The fact is that we are much better off now than we were in the 80's. Why would changing coaches yet again make us better?

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
And yet you apparently want to continue the "coaching carousel" that we have been on since Dodd. Duhh, isn't that an example of continuing to do the same, while expecting different results. It's that constant rotation of HC's over the past 50 years that have produced the mediocrity people claim the program has sunk to. Getting rid of Johnson would just be more of the same. The fact is that we are much better off now than we were in the 80's. Why would changing coaches yet again make us better?

I am not saying to fire him after this year, in fact next year will be a throw away year given the schedule. GT couldn't win 6 next year Bill Walsh in his prime as the coach. Take the losses, one more year ticks off the buyout and THEN we move forward.

I am not saying to fire him after this year, in fact next year will be a throw away year given the schedule. GT couldn't win 6 next year Bill Walsh in his prime as the coach. Take the losses, one more year ticks off the buyout and THEN we move forward.
And what makes you think that firing him, no matter when, will be a "move forward"? Were you around in the 80s when we had losing streaks to Tulane, Navy, Duke, Georgia, went 0-1-1 against Furman, and lost a bunch of other games by embarrassing scores? Be careful what you ask for, because a new coach could very well take us back to those days, and Johnson has not come anywhere near duplicating those horrible years, or any of the other embarrassing losing eras that we have experienced since Dodd.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Roof is the best recruiter on our staff. Give him some time. He will get the guys we need to be a good defensive team. He is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken stuff. We just did not match up with UNC on the defensive side of the ball. Neither did Notre Dame. I think our guys will take last night as a challenge to their manhood and respond better next week and in the following weeks. Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you realize it's on you to make something out of yourself. Roof represents one of the best defensive players ever to wear the GT uniform I know this is eating his guts out today. We are going to get better on defense.

Go Jackets!

There is no doubt we will take a step or two backward before we could move forward.
You are assuming we will ever move forward again. With the landscape of college football being what it is today, that may be an impossible dream. And please tell me why you would even want to take backward steps? Like I said, what's happening on the Flats now is nowhere near as bad as several periods of time in the past. Even if we don't get better, I seriously doubt we will ever get that bad under Johnson. So why, pray tell, get back on the coaching carousel when there is absolutely no reason to do so?

Roof is the best recruiter on our staff. Give him some time. He will get the guys we need to be a good defensive team. He is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken stuff. We just did not match up with UNC on the defensive side of the ball. Neither did Notre Dame. I think our guys will take last night as a challenge to their manhood and respond better next week and in the following weeks. Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you realize it's on you to make something out of yourself. Roof represents one of the best defensive players ever to wear the GT uniform I know this is eating his guts out today. We are going to get better on defense.

Go Jackets!
I agree that Roof can recruit, and that's a big reason for keeping him. I just am not convinced that, even with improved recruiting, he can build a good, or even adequate, defense. However, the same thing holds true for a coordinator as for the HC. You can't just keep jumping on and off the coaching carousel, or you'll never get anywhere. I am totally PO'd at Roof right now, but there is no guarantee that we can get anybody better, and who knows but his recruiting might actually lead to building a solid defense.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Are people actually arguing that we should have given up a lead on purpose with less than two minutes left in the game?

We scored a go-ahead TD and went up by 1 point with a little over 3 minutes to go. Having watched the rest of the game I had to ask myself what do I have more confidence in
1. Our D to keep them out of field goal range for 3 minutes, or
2. Our O to put the ball in the end zone again with around 2 minutes left

In my mind, it was a foregone conclusion that we were going to give up the lead. I was pulling for us to do it with enough time left on the clock for the O to answer. I was hoping I was wrong, but that's what I was feeling at that moment. If you're going to give up the lead anyway, might as well save some time and timeouts for the O.

So while I'm not necessarily saying we should have given up the lead on purpose with less than two minutes left, I will absolutely admit that I was pulling for us to do it quickly. Especially after they crossed midfield. I wasn't pulling for us to lose (would NEVER do that), but I was afraid that the only way we were going to win was to get our O back on the field with some time. And I think 2 minutes would have been enough for Justin and the guys to find a way.

Of course if CPJ had done that and we didn't answer, I know he would have been ripped and rightfully so. But I can get away with certain things sitting in my living room that they can't standing on the sidelines.

FWIW, my comments were just about the game last night and my thoughts while watching it. I can't be too upset about 5-2 with wins over VT and UM. I don't play the "this team will never beat UGA or Clemson" game. I just try to enjoy each game on its own. And last night was a tough one. That's all.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I didn't nothing from our defense this same Carolina team gashed a strong notre dame defense last week which is way better than our defense

I wouldn't say it is way better. It is better. They certainly have more talent. I don't believe they are coached appreciably better, basically because I think VanGorder is a hot steaming pile of cowpoop, as a coach and as a person.

And Wake Forest is the doormat of the ACC.

Animal02

Banned
You are assuming we will ever move forward again. With the landscape of college football being what it is today, that may be an impossible dream. And please tell me why you would even want to take backward steps? Like I said, what's happening on the Flats now is nowhere near as bad as several periods of time in the past. Even if we don't get better, I seriously doubt we will ever get that bad under Johnson. So why, pray tell, get back on the coaching carousel when there is absolutely no reason to do so?

I guess some of these people never lived through watching Tech in the late 70's and early 80's. I will take 7 win seasons over that any time. :eek:

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for twisting my words. I have been in SFLA and know quite a few people that are invested in recruiting. I don't ask to go after 5 stars, but for GTech to not be in STA, Cardinal Gibbons, and other schools is baffling to them and myself.
When CPJ came in, we were under the impression he would farm Georgia for talent. Instead, his arogant stance yielded few recruits and forced GT to farm outside the state (something we did withGOL).
I like the Roof hire and by extension Pelton. If anyone thinks that this D should be better this year never played ball or watch tape. Will be 2-3 years before we see fruits of this labor, but in the meantime RECRUIT SFLA.
People down here wonder why we did not hire Cutcliffe. I don't want to give their argument credence.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thank you for twisting my words. I have been in SFLA and know quite a few people that are invested in recruiting. I don't ask to go after 5 stars, but for GTech to not be in STA, Cardinal Gibbons, and other schools is baffling to them and myself.
When CPJ came in, we were under the impression he would farm Georgia for talent. Instead, his arogant stance yielded few recruits and forced GT to farm outside the state (something we did withGOL).
I like the Roof hire and by extension Pelton. If anyone thinks that this D should be better this year never played ball or watch tape. Will be 2-3 years before we see fruits of this labor, but in the meantime RECRUIT SFLA.
People down here wonder why we did not hire Cutcliffe. I don't want to give their argument credence.

We do recruit South Florida...specifically at Cardinal Gibbons we offered Reily Gibbons last year...who showed no interest in return fwiw.

At STA in 2014 we offered Al Harris Jr...showed no interest in us.

At STA in 2015 we have offered Jordan Scarlett...no interest...and we are currently recruiting Deltron Sands as an A Back.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you, I also passed on info about a coach with interest ....eric I know people that could help in evaluating . These people have worked with the Dolphins. I trust their eval.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thank you, I also passed on info about a coach with interest ....eric I know people that could help in evaluating . These people have worked with the Dolphins. I trust their eval.

Anytime you have something like this you think could be helpful send it to me in a message and I will pass it to the staff. At worst they turn it down.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
wow...just wow...this thread is so terrible.

UNC was preseason favorites for a reason...their offense and Marquise Williams. Fedora finally got out of his own way and played Williams all game, and they beat us fair and square. It happens. Are we no longer allowed to lose to UNC, Duke, UVA, and our non-Clemson opponent? WTF is wrong with some of you people? The defense had a bad game against what is likely going to be the best offense they faced moving forward. The offense crapped the bed against Duke. Get over it and move on. We're still a team that's good enough to win against Pitt, UVA, NC State, Clemson, and UGA.

Sometimes you lose. It doesn't have to turn you into a loser.