Positions That Worry Me

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have to say that I think we will suffer on O at first due to inexperience at WR and BB. We had really good performers at both positions (and, if we hadn't needed Laskey to field punts when he was a frosh, we would still have one) but I don't see any way that the replacements are as good right off the bat. The tale of the tape will be after a couple of games. We need to have good performances from these positions – not great ones, just good – by the time we go up to South Bend, imho. Otherwise everyone on the schedule will be laying for JT to run. He was as effective as he was last year because we had such good performance from our BBs and WRs.

I don't know if we'll be alright at these positions or not. The talent is there, but, except for Skov and Summers, it has virtually no game experience. I hope I'm being pessimistic and that someone will step up at BB, at least. We can do without a great WR, but we need a reliable 3 - 4 yards on the dive for things to work. And, no, I don't think we will be as good in the middle of the OL next year either. We need a BB to emerge from the woodwork this fall.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Add in Athletic Director too.
A big concern too. Guy is a moron

As far as positions, I don't share the same optimism about BB or WR. I'm more concerned with WRs being able to get separation and then actually CATCH the ball, than I am about BB. But at BB, we've got a converted LB who is skinnyyyyy and we've got a guy who hasn't Played BB before or carried the ball more than 5 times in three years of playing. I need to see some more from them before I drink the koolaid

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Positions that concern me: NONE

Around mid season in 2014 Justin T gave an interview where he made two key points that sticks out in my mind: "the team is averaging about 295 yards rushing per game and coach thinks we should be gaining about 40 yards more (340 sound familiar) and we have all got to keep working to get better."

It seems that improved passing/receiving gained us some third down conversions which gave us more opportunities to move the ball. Justin made some big runs on his own, on some mid-lines, and on some new bootleg wrinkles. BBs found some new life running wider off tackle and behind some unbalanced lines and probably a few new play wrinkles as well. Snoddy and Days upped thier play and that seemed to inspire others. ABs maintained in spite of injuries.

I suspect that coach will continue to work to make everybody a little better and who knows what group or individual will step up and inspire others to do likewise. I have seem coach in the past want more big take -it-to-the-house plays and that could be what this new group of players bring in 2015. Lets hope.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Around mid season in 2014 Justin T gave an interview where he made two key points that sticks out in my mind: "the team is averaging about 295 yards rushing per game and coach thinks we should be gaining about 40 yards more (340 sound familiar) and we have all got to keep working to get better."

It seems that improved passing/receiving gained us some third down conversions which gave us more opportunities to move the ball. Justin made some big runs on his own, on some mid-lines, and on some new bootleg wrinkles. BBs found some new life running wider off tackle and behind some unbalanced lines and probably a few new play wrinkles as well. Snoddy and Days upped thier play and that seemed to inspire others. ABs maintained in spite of injuries.

I suspect that coach will continue to work to make everybody a little better and who knows what group or individual will step up and inspire others to do likewise. I have seem coach in the past want more big take -it-to-the-house plays and that could be what this new group of players bring in 2015. Lets hope.

After the Duke game, we had averaged 295 ypg rushing for the season. For the rest of the season/post-season, we averaged 378 ypg rushing. We ended up averaging 342 ypg rushing.

I'm not worried about any position group on offense, esp not wr.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My worries are injuries, turnovers and bad calls. The great thing this year is that I am not worried about any positions although I have some concerns. Certainly b-back and wr are somewhat unknowns but we have been through that before and I think both positions will turn in solid performances. Last year was the year of hope, this year is more one of expectation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Many feel we lost the FSU game because we did not have Smelter,
Perhaps so but I also watched Winston and FSU play the best frickin' game they played all year. Later even CPJ said the same thing. Their quarterback was ready from the opening snap, unlike every other game he played last year in which it took him at least two quarters to get his head in the game.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps so but I also watched Winston and FSU play the best frickin' game they played all year. Later even CPJ said the same thing. Their quarterback was ready from the opening snap, unlike every other game he played last year in which it took him at least two quarters to get his head in the game.
Lots of blown coverages or defensive mistakes. I remember 2 touchdowns from guys coming off the route and another from a guy slipping, leaving his man wide open. As long as Winston has time, he's not going to miss that. Our defense didn't do themselves any favors in the first half.

That more than anything else is why we lost.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lots of blown coverages or defensive mistakes. I remember 2 touchdowns from guys coming off the route and another from a guy slipping, leaving his man wide open. As long as Winston has time, he's not going to miss that. Our defense didn't do themselves any favors in the first half.

That more than anything else is why we lost.
It's not either / or. We also had some of the same things happen in the Orange Bowl but the quarterback was slightly off on a few of his throws. One play in particular we had busted coverage and a receiver wide open down the middle and the quarterback missed him.

Winston was never off in our game. In other games last year he missed guys who were open. He did not against us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The only slight concern I have is WR. We have not seen someone step up yet and be the big play receiver. What keeps me hopeful however is that JT worked with our receivers last year and made them even better. He could very well do the same thing this year with our receivers.

Not worried at all about our running game. How many different season have we gone into worrying about either the A-backs or the B-backs, or both? The answer is we have had more seasons where we have worried than we have seasons in which we felt like we were all set. It is practically an annual ritual. And what has happened? CPJ has produced one of the most consistent running games in the country without fail.

Buzzoff

Georgia Tech Fan
In order of concern...
AB - we are going to miss Perkins blocking, too bad JJ Green is a year away.
BB - skov is going to help but is it enough?
WR - I don't see another smelter this year
DT - JHD has got to get eligible.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not either / or. We also had some of the same things happen in the Orange Bowl but the quarterback was slightly off on a few of his throws. One play in particular we had busted coverage and a receiver wide open down the middle and the quarterback missed him.

Winston was never off in our game. In other games last year he missed guys who were open. He did not against us.

That's fine, but Dak Prescott is no JW. JW's interceptions came under pressure trying make something happen. Give him time and an open man, and he's not going to miss. That's not a matter of him being on or off, he simply doesn't mistakes like that. JW is a first rounder, DP is on par with EJ Manuel.

We couldn't have the defense play like that against FSU unless we score on almost every possession. I admit part of the reason we didn't score was because DW and JT weren't in sync like JT was with DS. Luckily for us, they were humming against MSU.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The question isn't, or shouldn't be, whether our running game is good. It will always be by virtue of the volume of runs, and the system we have. The real question is whether it will be good enough to carry us to where we want to go. We'll have a good running game next year. But will we have a good enough one to get to 10+ wins?

Last year our team changed drastically when Days got his chance and ran with it, significantly upgrading the bback spot. Relying on two guys changing positions at bback is certainly a concern. Hopefully the OL is as good as I think it will be, and make the transition easier. Also hopefully we do more to get Thomas attempts in space and we take more advantage of his speed which should take more pressure off the bback spot.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not particularly worried about any of our offensive pieces. One position in paticular gives me a great deal of serenity when i contemplate the upcoming season- QB. I feel very strongly that JT is going to take his game to a whole 'nother level this year, and he's going to bring his teammates up with him. Enjoy the ride my GT brothers.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't understand the lack on concern here with regards to the a-backs.

Remember folks! We use a minimum of 4 per game! The perimeter blocking is essential to the TO's success! I would say 70% of our tackles for losses were a result of missed blocks on th perimeter, probably more.

I just don't get why no one else isn't worried.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Since no one seems to have said it I will be the first. I think Michael Summers is going to spend the summer practicing with JT and Byerly and by the end of fall practice we will all expect him to have a fantastic year as the go-to receiver.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In order of concern...
AB - we are going to miss Perkins blocking, too bad JJ Green is a year away.
BB - skov is going to help but is it enough?
WR - I don't see another smelter this year
DT - JHD has got to get eligible.
If we would all admit it, very few of us saw a Smelter in 2014. Good, yes. Solid, sure. But a hot NFL prospect? Nah. But there he was. It can happen.