Positions That Worry Me

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I loved what I saw from the spring game, and I believe we are primed for a BIG year again. However, there are places where we obviously need to get better in order to reach our potential.

BB: Obviously you had to like what we saw from Marcus Allen. But apart from the two big runs, he didn't do really much on the day. Lots of 2-3 yard runs. He's got to put on Muscle and learn the footwork as well as improve blocking if he's going to be our starter. One of the freshman is going to have to play, and I think he'll end the season as the starter.

WR: honestly this position scares me the most. We have talent, but I worry about the hands on this unit. I don't see a guy who can step up and become our Go To WR this year. I like Juenes upside, but I worry about his Routes right now. messick has all the tools but hasn't mentally checked himself into the game yet. summers is a good blocker and leader of the group. I worry about them as a group hampering the Passing game this year, they've got to step up.

AB: not worried about the group as a whole, I am worried about them hampering the passing game. Would like to see one or two really stand out as a receiver.

LBs not named PJ: we know we've got guys here who can rush the passer. I worry about them in run support with getting lost in the wash, and in coverage. I think we'll be ok after a few games tho.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'd add OG to that list. Can Braun and company continue the dominance in the middle run game that had teams reeling last year? Who's going to be THE guy opposite Braun? Will it be a situation where if you have multiple starters, you don't really have a starter? Overall, we've got horses on the OL to be successful, but it may take on a different style of success in the post-Shaq era.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
WR concerns me because as much as I love Summers, he is not the dynamic #1 we've been accustomed to having. After JT, I think Smelter was our most important offensive player last year.

Along the OL, if we are healthy, I think we will continue to dominate the run game. We won't have anyone as good as Shaq, but remember the wringing of hands prior to last season about BC, EJ, FB, etc. being able to step up? Well, they did. And they're all back. We'll be fine if healthy.

IMO we are starting to see the quality depth that will allow us to become a perennial contender (with CPJ of course).

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
For me its AB:

Blocking, Blocking, Blocking. IMO so much of the run game hinges on the AB Blocking Efficiency. Blocking is vital to the offense as a whole of course but AB concerns me a bit.
We have talent at AB. Can the talent block efficiently? Dennis Andrews did well last year blocking in limited playing time. After Dennis I'm not sure we have anyone that is a proven blocker.

We are thin at BB obviously. WR is inexperienced and is as other positions, vital to the blocking scheme. But for me personally I'm interested to see how the AB position goes and how well we block from that position as a unit.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Concerns:

BBack. I am impressed with anyone who can express contentment with our situation there. Losing our top 4 BBacks from last year and counting on a young player with very little FB experience, a transfer, and a couple of incoming freshmen makes me nervous. Hopeful, but nervous.

WR. The occasional tough 3rd and long requires our WR to step up and I have to wait and see how they perform. Again hopeful. I like this group for our signature "trick" play - 40 yard fly on first down early in a drive.

The other big concern is simply strength of schedule.

I feel reasonably good about most other aspects of the team heading into the summer: the 4-2-5 hides some lack of an extra impact LB, I believe OL situation will work out, Snoddy and Andrews provide sound starting point for ABack, depth at DB if not overwhelming talent, improved DL, and JT and TB.

Let's keep everyone healthy and out of trouble between now and the Fall.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not worried about B back, or at least not much. Allen showed me plenty. He should be much closer to ready by the end of fall camp. And with the transfer and incoming talent.
I share your concern about wide receiver.
I like our A situation, although I am mostly thinking of their running the ball. Not sure about their blocking.
I think linebacking is in good shape.
The other concern I have is DT if Jabari isn't allowed back.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
B Back will be fine...always has. It's just scary right now because no one at that position has even seen the field

WR is scary right now. Someone will step up, but it's going to be tough to replace Smelter. We flat out lose to VT last year without him. I'm hopeful that we have someone who can fill his shoes...just need to wait and see

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the worry is... how do we maintain the number 1 in offensive efficiency. Many feel we lost the FSU game because we did not have Smelter, while others will state that we won the Orange Bowl without Smelter and several starting A-Backs. I feel most believe that we will have a good offense, but wonder if it will be as good as 2014. I think we will have a good offense, but I think we may have to build back up to 2014 performance.

• It is conceivable that June and Summers could come close to a Waller Smelter combo
  • It is conceivable that Snoddy, Andrews, Ike, Lynch, and QS could come close to Snoddy, Perkins, Zenon, Deon, Bostic, Andrews.
  • BB will be tough as knowing where to go is so important. The new transfer and MA are good starting points. MA did very well for only 7 days at BB and I think he will improve his pad level.
  • Shaq is going to be hard to replace. We have some good OL people and I hope one of them can come close to Shaq's performance.

Will we maintain number 1 in offensive efficiency? We may or may not, but the defense may also improve and GT ends up with an 11 win season again.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am curious to what extent special teams can be improved upon this season. Since we have a large incoming class of commits with some pretty high level prospects as far as ball pursuit and tackling goes then I can imagine a scenario where we have some punishing coverage teams that cause a few more fumble recovery opportunities.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not really that concerned with Jeune and Summers at WR. There is no reason why we should lose any production there. They have the frames and athleticism. Summers is smaller than our average(which is actually funny, cause he's 6'1, 196), but that should make him faster. We shall see.

OL will not be as good. We do not have Shaq. That's OK though, we'll still be good enough.

I'm most worried about the blocking from our A-backs. That has to be the 1# focus, and Snoddy wasn't great at it last year. If I'm coach, I do blocking drills the whole summer. Running the ball is easy if blocking is good and they can manage just a basic pitch relationship.

We lose the blocking at A-back and we get a lot of TFLs. That's the most dangerous thing for this offense.

slugboy

Staff member
BBack wasn't fine 2-3 years ago, but it was great last year. It's as easy to say WR has been fine every year, but it's something else with someone talented and committed at that position.
(start ill-informed guesswork)
For the OL, if we have the first and second teamers back and mostly healthy through the year, then we're really lucky. The third (Gold) team guys didn't look ready in the Spring game. Dumb luck says you'll go through depth in one of the positions--and I'd be most worried about losing depth at center.
I'm starting to feel more comfortable about the DL, but I'd like to see an OLB who's strong is pass coverage. We lost a couple of seniors in the DB's, and I'm not sure about how much we'll be at the same level this year.
(end ill-informed guesswork)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
WR- who is going be there guy who comeback to the ball and bail JT out when the coverage is good? Who will make the contested catch?

DB- as much the lack of pass rush contributed to the detriment to this group there were too many blown assignments and "business decision" made on tackles. Need more consistent play from this group

DL- JHD is a scout team/ IG All-American at the moment until he is eligible, which I think he will be. If not, we are in big trouble again upfront

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know for sure if QW is going to redshirt ? I hope that guy can play this fall.

I don't think his injury was that bad, but with MA and PS, I'd just RS him and keep him healthy in case someone gets hurt. Then(MA or PS gets hurt) we may consider burning his shirt and use him to relieve the starting B-back once they start getting winded(150+ yrds). Last part was tongue in cheek, but I see no reason not to RS him with 2 in front of him. Can't hurt to let him develop more physically. A freshman in such a physical role is going to get beat up.