Portal Watch 2022-23

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
So what happens when a young man has eligibility remaining, has graduated, either wants to go to grad school elsewhere or wasn't accepted at his current school, AND wants more playing time and more NIL? Do we need yet another word for that? ;)

The motivation really isn't accounted for by the terms used. In all cases the student-athlete is "transferring" his/her remaining eligibility to another school. I think, though I'm not certain, we have a specific term for when that student-athlete has actually earned his/her degree (graduate transfer) because it used to be one of the only ways you would be immediately eligible to play even if you transferred to another school of the same level.
I wasn’t specifically criticizing you on saying transferring. This is more about the overall use of the word equating someone who graduates with someone who transfers after his freshman year. Yes, both are transferring their remaining athletic eligibility, but these are massively different scenarios and way too many people look at them as the same thing.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wasn’t specifically criticizing you on saying transferring. This is more about the overall use of the word equating someone who graduates with someone who transfers after his freshman year. Yes, both are transferring their remaining athletic eligibility, but these are massively different scenarios and way too many people look at them as the same thing.
I guess I don't understand why it matters. The term "transfer" in this case only really applies to athletic eligibility, but in reality athletes with and without degrees are transferring to another school. Granted, the registrar at the new school treats the two cases differently, but the athletic departments do not. I doubt anyone on The Swarm would complain if you used the term "graduate transfer" when appropriate. For me, and perhaps others, both are OK.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Got it. Thank you. I totally misunderstood where you were coming from and I greatly appreciate the clarification.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I guess I don't understand why it matters. The term "transfer" in this case only really applies to athletic eligibility, but in reality athletes with and without degrees are transferring to another school. Granted, the registrar at the new school treats the two cases differently, but the athletic departments do not. I doubt anyone on The Swarm would complain if you used the term "graduate transfer" when appropriate. For me, and perhaps others, both are OK.
The difference, to me at least, is that an outbound undergrad transfer strongly implies that the S-A is looking for greener pastures at another school. It could be a case of dissatisfaction with playing time, dissatisfaction with coaches, grades, NIL, or some other reason to seek a change in their environment. Conversely, an outbound grad transfer, particularly of an S-A that has stuck with the school and earned a degree, implies that a loyal S-A may not have the opportunity to finish their eligibility there due to factors beyond their control. Of course, this is somewhat speculative but that’s my perspective.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The difference, to me at least, is that an outbound undergrad transfer strongly implies that the S-A is looking for greener pastures at another school. It could be a case of dissatisfaction with playing time, dissatisfaction with coaches, grades, NIL, or some other reason to seek a change in their environment. Conversely, an outbound grad transfer, particularly of an S-A that has stuck with the school and earned a degree, implies that a loyal S-A may not have the opportunity to finish their eligibility there due to factors beyond their control. Of course, this is somewhat speculative but that’s my perspective.
I agree with you, but the terms used by the NCAA are about as meaningless to me as much what they do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, helpful distinction. The only reason we are interested in transfers is because of what they might tell us about whether or not they are strengthening or weakening a program in the process of transferring. Assessing the degree to which a player is disgruntled, or gold digging, or making smart life decisions is important information.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This may have already been answered within these 66 pages and I missed it, but can anyone please post a link to a list of the outbound/inbound transfers for each school? It would be interesting to see which teams had the most and the least transfers. Last I saw Texas A&M had 22 transferring out. That must be one of the highest.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This may have already been answered within these 66 pages and I missed it, but can anyone please post a link to a list of the outbound/inbound transfers for each school? It would be interesting to see which teams had the most and the least transfers. Last I saw Texas A&M had 22 transferring out. That must be one of the highest.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, but the terms used by the NCAA are about as meaningless to me as much what they do.
Until recently (this year perhaps), there was an important distinction in NCAA eligibility rules between undergrad and grad transfers. So the removal of the sit-out-a-year requirement for undergrads has, in my opinion, muddied the waters on how we view transfers.

slugboy

Staff member
Gracious...some programs have enormous turnover. Colorado has 23 incoming commits, and Arizona State has 26!!! Our number (11) seems average or perhaps even below average.
Arizona State was rated about where we were for 2022, and Colorado was a lot worse. Arizona State brought in Dillingham from Oregon, and Colorado brought in Sanders. Both are outsiders, and Sanders was pretty clear that he was cleaning house.

For a coach that came in championed by his players, I think Key has brought in a lot of freshmen and transfers. Not as many as some other schools, but plenty compared to the number of graduating players. Everyone is gonna have to fight for their positions.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Arizona State was rated about where we were for 2022, and Colorado was a lot worse. Arizona State brought in Dillingham from Oregon, and Colorado brought in Sanders. Both are outsiders, and Sanders was pretty clear that he was cleaning house.

For a coach that came in championed by his players, I think Key has brought in a lot of freshmen and transfers. Not as many as some other schools, but plenty compared to the number of graduating players. Everyone is gonna have to fight for their positions.
Dont forget that junior senior credits at many schools don't transfer to gt.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m guessing this is wrong but that site says Walton has 2 more years. That can’t be possible, right?

It's wrong. He has one year left. FWIW, the official GT site hasn't updated the bios on everyone to include 2022 so it's possible someone doing a quick check confused the last entry being 2021's redshirt sophomore year as having two years of eligibility left.