Portal Watch 2022-23

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If you’re in the position to take that approach, as Clemson is, it sends a great message to the players that buying in to the program will bring you success and get you on the field. If you watch a teammate stay committed to the program for years like Dontae Smith and then he’s suddenly splitting carries with 2 guys who just showed up, I’m sure that’s not ideal for culture. Especially when 1 of those new guys is clearly a step down and the other is equal at best.

But they are not in position tho. They major depth issues and it reared its head this season

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The guy is 6'3, fluid, good hips for a CB, and has above average speed and quickness. He's the prototypical CB for this era of pass happy offenses and giant WRs...Oh, and he has extensive P5 experience. He's a big loss from our defense, especially since he's so experienced in our system.

Yep. On downside to Walton is his production. 3INTs in 5 season is a head scratcher

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When it comes down to it, anyone and anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them/it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Opinions will vary widely so it is natural for people of common interest to still have varying opinions. My personal opinion is very few of these transfer guys will have a material impact on the overall performance of a college football team but if they can profit from it, more power to them. Invariably, in the long run, like anything else, the free market will determine who gets what.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if The Swarm has us ranked according to how witty are our posts?
lying tv land GIF by #Impastor

Yes, but the testing device is antiquated and can only score one kg01 statement at a time.....

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I wonder if the schools are reaching out to him or their fans via social media. Also, I wonder what his response has been if it's the schools. He is going to be a starter where he is, so there needs be a genuine need at the new school and a solid promise to start. Otherwise, why move for one year?
My source directly said “coaches.” Now a days, you are right to question it.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else find it odd that Key retweeted and liked Kelly’s tweet about Walton transferring? Not sure I’ve ever seen that from a head coach before.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else find it odd that Key retweeted and liked Kelly’s tweet about Walton transferring? Not sure I’ve ever seen that from a head coach before.
A player can leave the portal through the same door he entered. 1200+ players have entered since Dec 5. How many sides can the grass be greener on?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we are parting ways with Zamari on good terms and Brent is trying to show support? In my eyes that speaks very well of both Zamari and our program.

I also think Key knows Zamari has maximized his ROI for GT. How much more can you ask of an SA like Walton? He's played an enormous amount of snaps/games, graduated, has been a good representative for GT, and is going out on good terms.

Our BB coach, Josh Pastner, has a "get old, stay old" philosophy. That is, get players into the system, and let them mature in it. Zamari Walton is the poster child of that on the football side. I have zero doubt Walton and Key talked about this, and Key probably is 100% behind Walton getting outside of GT ecosystem and "spreading his wings". IMO, that shows amazing class by both Key and Walton to understand what's best for each party. If anything, especially with Key's reputation among the college football community, Key "liking" Zamari's tweet is telling everyone that Zamari did everything the right way and he's an SA that any coach should want on their team.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing we don't miss a beat. We got players that can and will step up and this could be something of the norm over the next couple years. I'm guessing we improve our recruiting these next couple classes. The new system works both ways. Competition will determine the outcome. I've always wondered just how stable and successful the program would be if it is just about the money, not sure those are the type kids I would want. We may want kids that have other things that are important also, looking at the long term when they're in their teens early 20s. I could be wrong, we'll see. A kid graduating and playing their last year else where does make a lot of sense to me at times and circumstances.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing we don't miss a beat. We got players that can and will step up and this could be something of the norm over the next couple years. I'm guessing we improve our recruiting these next couple classes. The new system works both ways. Competition will determine the outcome. I've always wondered just how stable and successful the program would be if it is just about the money, not sure those are the type kids I would want. We may want kids that have other things that are important also, looking at the long term when they're in their teens early 20s. I could be wrong, we'll see. A kid graduating and playing their last year else where does make a lot of sense to me at times and circumstances.
For the steady but competent players we Pay to Stay (P2S) 75% of our NIL.

For needed talent we Pay to Play( P2P) 15% of NIL

10% remaining NIL put in rainry day fund (RDF) .

Better hope NIL gets limited as the giant P5 schools will raid our P2S who get close to a gt degree

us.