Portal Watch 2022-23

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Still Blows my mind Clemson doesn’t take Transfers
If you’re in the position to take that approach, as Clemson is, it sends a great message to the players that buying in to the program will bring you success and get you on the field. If you watch a teammate stay committed to the program for years like Dontae Smith and then he’s suddenly splitting carries with 2 guys who just showed up, I’m sure that’s not ideal for culture. Especially when 1 of those new guys is clearly a step down and the other is equal at best.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you’re in the position to take that approach, as Clemson is, it sends a great message to the players that buying in to the program will bring you success and get you on the field. If you watch a teammate stay committed to the program for years like Dontae Smith and then he’s suddenly splitting carries with 2 guys who just showed up, I’m sure that’s not ideal for culture. Especially when 1 of those new guys is clearly a step down and the other is equal at best.
We lost a primo running back and not trying to fill his spot with at least a serviceable one would be to put the whole load on Dontae and hope he doesn't have any nagging injuries, which according to reports, he did. The culture should be that you get the best players you can and the best one wins the starting job. Competition is king. I see your point and maybe something should be done to tamp down this transfer mania, but under the present conditions we should take all the help we can get.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I get the idea that bringing in guys thru the portal could be disruptive but on a certain level it is the same as bringing in talent straight from high school. If a very talented freshman joins the team that is so good that he jumps in front of guys that have put in a few years in school, there is an argument to be made that it is in fact the same thing.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Zamari is a good player and I wish he were staying. I think some may have an inflated view of his perceived talent. Currently, he is not projected to be drafted and most likely will have to go the free agent route and hope to catch on with a pro team. His NIL value is projected at $31,000 so I feel pretty confident if Tech really wanted to hang on to him they would have been able to match or better that amount.

We have enough cornerbacks with near-equal talent to minimize the impact of Zamari leaving. And who knows, he may change his mind again. He seems prone to do so.

Go Jackets!
I'm only curious and not being confrontational but where are you getting this info (potential NFL status, NIL value, etc.)?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Uga doesn’t like to take them either. Kirby said he would rather develop players than hit the portal. Makes sense when you build a culture the rotation of players can be good but if you take a few of the wrong transfers it may kill your locker room
Easier not to take many when your 2nd and 3rd stringers are better than most teams staryers.

I suspect they will take an occasional stud if they end up having a hole at some position

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm only curious and not being confrontational but where are you getting this info (potential NFL status, NIL value, etc.)?
I saw this as well and wondered the same. I Googled NIL value for Zamari and found a similar number and that he is "ranked" in the 4K range among players/athletes who have a positive number. Is everyone ranked somewhere? I wonder if The Swarm has us ranked according to how witty are our posts?

In any case, Zamari graduated in December with a degree in Business and likely applied for grad school. It is possible he decided GT was not the best fit for his plans, or that he did not get accepted to grad school at GT. This may not have anything to do with the GT football team.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The limited course offerings and non transfer of beyond sophmore year credits is a limitation on use of portal.

Few football players want a degree thats a gateway to fortune 500 company.

Need way more recruting and NIL money to get and keep players.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I googled it. There is actually an organization called on3.com that produces an estimated NIL value for college football players. What that is based on, I have no clue. They may not as well. But hey, it seems they have found a nitch for the cyber surfers. As for the NFL, I looked at a couple of projected NFL draft sites that rate all 6 or 7 rounds of the NFL draft, and his name does not appear on them. I think if he thought he would be drafted he would not be coming back for another year anywhere.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hearing that all of the major schools in Florida have reached out to Zamari Walton, plus Ala., Ga., SC and Ole Missy. In demand to say the very least!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I googled it. There is actually an organization called on3.com that produces an estimated NIL value for college football players. What that is based on, I have no clue. They may not as well. But hey, it seems they have found a nitch for the cyber surfers. As for the NFL, I looked at a couple of projected NFL draft sites that rate all 6 or 7 rounds of the NFL draft, and his name does not appear on them. I think if he thought he would be drafted he would not be coming back for another year anywhere.

It looks like they base it on Followers and potential reach/ name. It makes sense.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
My mutt friend likes to tell me we have less NIL money than some division 2 programs according to on3 😒 he also told me Texas offered 2 ugag players 2 million dollars to enter the portal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hearing that all of the major schools in Florida have reached out to Zamari Walton, plus Ala., Ga., SC and Ole Missy. In demand to say the very least!

The guy is 6'3, fluid, good hips for a CB, and has above average speed and quickness. He's the prototypical CB for this era of pass happy offenses and giant WRs...Oh, and he has extensive P5 experience. He's a big loss from our defense, especially since he's so experienced in our system.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My mutt friend likes to tell me we have less NIL money than some division 2 programs according to on3 😒 he also told me Texas offered 2 ugag players 2 million dollars to enter the portal.
I wonder what happens to all the NIL money when your team doesn't even make the conference CG? How much is 3rd or 4th place worth?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The guy is 6'3, fluid, good hips for a CB, and has above average speed and quickness. He's the prototypical CB for this era of pass happy offenses and giant WRs...Oh, and he has extensive P5 experience. He's a big loss from our defense, especially since he's so experienced in our system.
Yes, I’ve watched him like so many others have on this site. My slight surprise is that UGAly or ‘Bama would take someone for one season. Although the Mutts did try Jamie Newman from WF for one year, even though he didn’t play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if the schools are reaching out to him or their fans via social media. Also, I wonder what his response has been if it's the schools. He is going to be a starter where he is, so there needs be a genuine need at the new school and a solid promise to start. Otherwise, why move for one year?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I’ve watched him like so many others have on this site. My slight surprise is that UGAly or ‘Bama would take someone for one season. Although the Mutts did try Jamie Newman from WF for one year, even though he didn’t play.

Oh, wasn't questioning you...just adding to your "in demand" statement.

The funny thing is other schools probably covet our SAs more than some of our fans do. The criticism once one of our SAs hits the portal is usually negative...but some of our SAs that went on to other schools were a big part of the new teams they joined.