Portal Watch 2022-23

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Really unfortunate Walton is transferring. It’s crazy though, he committed to Tech over 5.5 years ago. If he played the entire upcoming season, he’d essentially have been a part of the program for 7 years. He was in the same class as James Graham, Wesley Wells, etc. - guys who haven’t been here in forever. I know Dontae Smith is in the same boat timeline-wise, but he’s barely played compared to Walton. I don’t know if I could have done 6-7 straight years at Tech when you’re busting your *** every single day - he played ~2.5k snaps here!

Jolly Good Fellow
Really unfortunate Walton is transferring. It’s crazy though, he committed to Tech over 5.5 years ago. If he played the entire upcoming season, he’d essentially have been a part of the program for 7 years. He was in the same class as James Graham, Wesley Wells, etc. - guys who haven’t been here in forever. I know Dontae Smith is in the same boat timeline-wise, but he’s barely played compared to Walton. I don’t know if I could have done 6-7 straight years at Tech when you’re busting your *** every single day - he played ~2.5k snaps here!
I was about to call bulls**t about " ... he played ~2.5k snaps here!"
Then I did the math...yep...GT4E is correct...2500 snaps is 40+/- per game for 5 years..which Walton very probably did, including kick/punt coverage work...
Damn..that is alot of football, boys...I'd say he has paid back his Tech scholarship...good luck, Zamari...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Walton has been here long enough to have his degree which I hope he has completed after his hard work and effort in the classroom and on the football field. I hope it's not just about NIL money but I hope he finds whatever he's looking for. I had expected him to go into the draft rather than transfer. He was a good player for GT.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I was about to call bulls**t about " ... he played ~2.5k snaps here!"
Then I did the math...yep...GT4E is correct...2500 snaps is 40+/- per game for 5 years..which Walton very probably did, including kick/punt coverage work...
Damn..that is alot of football, boys...I'd say he has paid back his Tech scholarship...good luck, Zamari...
It truly is a lot of football. To break it down, he played the following number of snaps per year:

2018: 67 on defense, 21 on ST
2019: 599 on defense, 87 on ST
2020: 603 on defense, 56 on ST
2021: 327 on defense, 56 on ST
2022: 788 on defense, 61 on ST
Total defensive snaps: 2,384
Total special teams snaps: 281
Total career snaps: 2,655 - so we actually shortchanged him

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It truly is a lot of football. To break it down, he played the following number of snaps per year:

This guy has spent lots of time on campus while his body matured.
Was at the usf game w Andy mac family where he game got reps- parent were focused on him getting to nfl. Imo, not a strong tackler. Then for a few years way too many pass interference calls.
BUT due to his hard work - he ffinished strong. Did not rush thru GT.

How to we get way more guys like this??
After 2 years = up or out ?
If not cutting it = max out classes and help out at practice. If on bubble = PAY TO STAY
( TO 5TH YEAR SENIOR.)

Last edited:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

He’d be at 2659 if TFG had been good enough to get us to bowl games the last 4 years. However, if he had done that, he would be our coach next year, and that thought made me shudder.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He’d be at 2659 if TFG had been good enough to get us to bowl games the last 4 years. However, if he had done that, he would be our coach next year, and that thought made me shudder.
When he lost those bone head games and then painted the stadium read, it was really a good thing.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Zamari is a good player and I wish he were staying. I think some may have an inflated view of his perceived talent. Currently, he is not projected to be drafted and most likely will have to go the free agent route and hope to catch on with a pro team. His NIL value is projected at $31,000 so I feel pretty confident if Tech really wanted to hang on to him they would have been able to match or better that amount.

We have enough cornerbacks with near-equal talent to minimize the impact of Zamari leaving. And who knows, he may change his mind again. He seems prone to do so.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Uga doesn’t like to take them either. Kirby said he would rather develop players than hit the portal. Makes sense when you build a culture the rotation of players can be good but if you take a few of the wrong transfers it may kill your locker room

It's not that UGA won't take transfers, they're just highly selective about it:

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Uga doesn’t like to take them either. Kirby said he would rather develop players than hit the portal. Makes sense when you build a culture the rotation of players can be good but if you take a few of the wrong transfers it may kill your locker room
Or if you have enough quality depth within your own roster and coaches at each position who are able to develop their own positions to where the staff doesn’t see the same value in bringing in multiple prospects via the portal. However uga has brought in at least one recently

ranjar

Georgia Tech Fan
Walton has been here long enough to have his degree which I hope he has completed after his hard work and effort in the classroom and on the football field. I hope it's not just about NIL money but I hope he finds whatever he's looking for. I had expected him to go into the draft rather than transfer. He was a good player for GT.
I believe he graduated last month.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Kirby tried hard for Caleb Williams, Dabo is just blatantly being ignorant IMO. They could get the best players from the ACC every year to transfer in if they wanted.