Portal Watch 2022-23

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We will have 20 to 30 enter the portal and it will be common among all Division 1 schools. It's just the way it is and will be. We still have a lot of dead weight on our roster and need to churn linemen especially and import some linebackers and running backs. There will be plenty out there to grab. Need to get that NIL money loaded up so we can pay the guys we really want. Embrace it and use it. We have plenty of receivers (reminds me of when we use to have 20 A-backs). Let's get some hard-nosed big men that like to hurt people. It's officially a business now and strictly business.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Factories lose guys who can’t get play, we lose our best players to factories with NIL $$$
Let's see where guys land before we go casting aspersions.

As I remember, we had 1 guy at Alabama, 1 guy at TN, and 1 guy at Ole Miss. The 2 DL that went to SEC schools were good but not our best players. Brown went to USCe, but...meh. Most of the guys who went in the portal for us the past 2 years were okay, but not anything spectacular (including Gibbs). Not throwing shade at Gibbs; he's a fantastic player and will be at the next level too, probably. But, his numbers were pedestrian this year and similar to what he did here.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We will have 20 to 30 enter the portal and it will be common among all Division 1 schools. It's just the way it is and will be. We still have a lot of dead weight on our roster and need to churn linemen especially and import some linebackers and running backs. There will be plenty out there to grab. Need to get that NIL money loaded up so we can pay the guys we really want. Embrace it and use it. We have plenty of receivers (reminds me of when we use to have 20 A-backs). Let's get some hard-nosed big men that like to hurt people. It's officially a business now and strictly business.

Go Jackets!
Guess that means no spring game :) and the portal and NIL is the reason I'm starting not care about college football.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So do other programs. It's the new CFB.
It seems to me that schools like Tech will simply become feeder schools to the factories ... a Milwaukee Brewers of CFB. We'll recruit and develop for the first two years and then, watch them enter the portal to cash in at a factory in years 3-4. And ... prepare for an NFL career.

Sure, we will pick up an athlete who doesn't get playing time at his first choice, but that's coaching under uncertainty.

Whoever coaches at Tech in this new environment has his work cut out for him.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Guess that means no spring game :) and the portal and NIL is the reason I'm starting not care about college football.
Nah... they will recruit some keyboard heroes from the stands to fill the skill positions for those that weight less than 225, for those over that will fill in on the D or O line.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nah... they will recruit some keyboard heroes from the stands to fill the skill positions for those that weight less than 225, for those over that will fill in on the D or O line.

Keyboard hero here sir, reporting for duty, Heck yes I am down with this. I want to put on about 15 lbs. so I am not in a skill position (too much running). Put me on the OL. I want to chop block somebody. Rules be da*&ed. ;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that schools like Tech will simply become feeder schools to the factories ... a Milwaukee Brewers of CFB. We'll recruit and develop for the first two years and then, watch them enter the portal to cash in at a factory in years 3-4. And ... prepare for an NFL career.

Sure, we will pick up an athlete who doesn't get playing time at his first choice, but that's coaching under uncertainty.

Whoever coaches at Tech in this new environment has his work cut out for him.
We'll see. I'm not convinced. This could happen, but it may not. There's a ton of uncertainty for everyone.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I accept that more guys are going to transfer out no matter what happens with the HC. That is just CFB these days.

Have we "fixed" our ability to have guys transfer in? Seems like in years past it was rare to have incoming transfers.