Portal Watch 2022-23

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I could see some of these guys withdrawing if Key is hired(this is not a pro or anti Key statement. Just an observation).
Why do that instead of just waiting? They will likely know the answer to that question by the end of this weekend and the portal doesn't open until Monday.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Why do that instead of just waiting? They will likely know the answer to that question by the end of this weekend and the portal doesn't open until Monday.

It’s a way to go ahead and potentially get on other team’s radar. Coaches treat the portal as essentially recruiting again. Other coaches now know these guys are interested in potentially leaving and could become a target(at least for someone who’s been very productive like Nate).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure more guys will enter the portal still, but I'll offer two things I think are relevant to remember.

1) It has often been the case that players from the previous coach did not buy in to a new coach and created resistance and a issues in the locker room. It is much better for these players to leave voluntarily right off the bat rather than stick around and spread a poisonous mindset.

2) Even when you "lose" in the portal, it doesn't mean the end of the program. We were considered losers in the portal last season, yet we still improved under Brent Key. Tennessee was probably the biggest loser in the portal in 2020, and look where they are sitting now. If we get the right guy for the job, we will be fine.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The addition of NIL money in college football takes away a lot of uncertainty and downside to entering the portal. When you transferred schools in the old days, you just hoped for more playing time. Nowadays, if you get a good NIL deal, even if you get no more playing time, you still got paid. The only way Tech will keep developed talent is to be better at managing NIL payouts.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Receivers and DB’s are by far the easiest positions to replace. And there will be dozens entering the portal from everywhere. The vast majority of these guys will go from standing on our sidelines during games to standing on another teams sidelines. It’s laughable at this point. They aren’t that important. Plenty of dudes who are 5’9 to 6’3 who can catch a football.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Finding good receivers is one of the hardest things. That is why many programs overload on WR. It is very hard to hit on 1 or 2 out of 10 plus recruits.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Factories lose guys who can’t get play, we lose our best players to factories with NIL $$$
I mean not always per se. Look at the Dawgs. Fields couldn’t sniff the field so to speak. He transferred to Ohio State and the rest is history.

U Dubs QB was a transfer. Everyone knows the saga of the Auburn to Oregon QB.

It’s not always the case.