Portal Watch 2022-23

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He’s much better than brown
If you say so. Brown put up 7 TDs for us his freshmen year, vs McCollum with 4 TDs this year, and Brown had almost double the avg yds per catch. I think they are both probably pretty solid players. But I also think Rutherford is probably pretty solid, and McGowan was pretty solid - he also put up 7 TDs last season for us and had a slightly higher ypc than McCollum. Fast slot guys are just not all that rare.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
There was some smoke after Collins was fired that some players weren't happy with the way it was done and thinking about leaving, wonder if there's any link for players who announce before the coach is hired.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If you say so. Brown put up 7 TDs for us his freshmen year, vs McCollum with 4 TDs this year, and Brown had almost double the avg yds per catch. I think they are both probably pretty solid players. But I also think Rutherford is probably pretty solid, and McGowan was pretty solid - he also put up 7 TDs last season for us and had a slightly higher ypc than McCollum. Fast slot guys are just not all that rare.
I’m not saying he was Calvin, but he had 650 yards this year, and was 5th in the conference in receptions. He’s a good player. Only 3 TD but our offense sucks at scoring. Ahmerean brown had less than 200 yards.

I agree that I think we have talent(if they stay) to have good production there, but his best football is ahead of him, and he was our best WR.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry to see McCollum go, but I was sorry to see Brown go too and we got along.

I'm more worried about the number of seniors on D graduating than the players using the portal. Now that is going to hurt.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve liked Rutherford since he got a little run last year.

I was hoping we’d see more sets with McCollum and Rutherford on the field together.

McCollum will be missed, but I think we’ll be okay. Especially if Blackburn sticks around.

I’m looking forward to Boyd getting more run too.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not saying he was Calvin, but he had 650 yards this year, and was 5th in the conference in receptions. He’s a good player. Only 3 TD but our offense sucks at scoring. Ahmerean brown had less than 200 yards.

I agree that I think we have talent(if they stay) to have good production there, but his best football is ahead of him, and he was our best WR.
Maybe the bolded text is the reason. Depending on where you look, we had somewhere in the bottom 30-40 offenses in FBS. We were pretty run-heavy and didn’t throw for dough. Maybe he thinks he has a shot to pick up more of a shine before going into the draft.
It’s probably too late, but if we announced Mike Leach as HC, maybe he pulls his name out of the portal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(no, I’m not saying Leach is a candidate ;) )

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Listen, I hate losing McCollum but it’s not that bad. We have plenty of slot receivers to step in today and there are hundreds playing high school ball. Very easily replaceable position. Rutherford, Haynes, and DJ Moore will fill in fine. Just like when Brown left. Now if Blackburn leaves that will be tough to replace.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
This is a big loss. Do not know where you guys think we are going to replace this kinda talent. Go to the transfer portal? Sorry higher level talent is not coming here. Let’s wait and see if Pyron goes next. Obviously Key is not being hired. We get saddled with all these sorry ADs who move on after 5 years and we are stuck with the same crappy program. Fritz is not the answer. Needed to hold onto what we had and build from here. Key was in the perfect spot to do that.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I’ve liked Rutherford since he got a little run last year.

I was hoping we’d see more sets with McCollum and Rutherford on the field together.

McCollum will be missed, but I think we’ll be okay. Especially if Blackburn sticks around.

I’m looking forward to Boyd getting more run too.
Rutherford and Haynes will battle it out in the slot.
King, Jenkins, Moore, Blackburn, Blackstrain outside.
I like the group if most remain.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This is a big loss. Do not know where you guys think we are going to replace this kinda talent. Go to the transfer portal? Sorry higher level talent is not coming here. Let’s wait and see if Pyron goes next. Obviously Key is not being hired. We get saddled with all these sorry ADs who move on after 5 years and we are stuck with the same crappy program. Fritz is not the answer. Needed to hold onto what we had and build from here. Key was in the perfect spot to do that.
That would require tech to make a rational, reasonable and common sense decision. Which we all know Tech does not do

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Jenkins is gone. King and Blackburn are transferring as well.
I thought Jenkins had one more, my bad.
Did not know the other two were gone.

Looking like we need some WR recruits/portals. Upside is new coach gets to pick the skill set he likes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh no...all of these players leaving! College football is OVER...OVER!!!

This is the new reality of college football. Factories will have players leave as well. GT won't be the only school where players transfer.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Oh no...all of these players leaving! College football is OVER...OVER!!!

This is the new reality of college football. Factories will have players leave as well. GT won't be the only school where players transfer.

“Here’s an oversimplified way of summing it all up: The average Power 5 program lost 16 transfers in the last year. While 14 of them found a home, nine are going to Group of 5 programs or lower.”
https://theathletic.com/3466826/2022/08/01/college-football-transfer-portal-lessons/?amp=1

That was last year, and I’m sure it will be worse this year. Add in losing your coaching staff and we could lose more than the average.
Like it or not, portal in/out is as important as HS recruiting.