Portal Watch 2022-23

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Supposedly, the pic was taken at Top Golf. Wouldn't that have been fun in those temps?

Edit - On second thought, the "tee" area is heated, but still...
They must have been hanging out in Denver then. I don't believe there is a Top Golf in Boulder. With Boulder being about 5,400 feet in elevation it will take some getting used to for anyone from the south. All the schools up here have practice facilities to mitigate the cold temps late in the season, but the altitude can be more of a problem for some people. I have seen many people suffer from altitude sickness if they are new to the area and don't drink enough water....I mean a LOT more water than people from the south are used to drinking.

Also the facilities are way behind those of the football factories. I think Tech is even ahead of what they have in Boulder. Deion is going to need to have them upgraded quickly if he is going to compete for the top recruits going forward. That being said, they are obviously much better than Jackson State and Hunter was fine with playing there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
honestly i think the “reports” seem to be only coming from hopeful fanbases like uga, usc and miami fans. i have a very hard time believing he doesn’t wanna ride with deion unless an astronomical offer comes in
Unless he really wants to keep playing for Deion I have to think one of those schools NIL collectives will outbid CU boosters for his services. And if all else is equal how do you choose Boulder over South Beach?

JacketFan137

Banned
Unless he really wants to keep playing for Deion I have to think one of those schools NIL collectives will outbid CU boosters for his services. And if all else is equal how do you choose Boulder over South Beach?
i think barstool and colorado are just gonna spend all the money they can to prop this up and figure out how to handle the back end later. unless the offer is truly a different level i bet colorado pays up.

all just guessing though. will be fun to follow

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
They must have been hanging out in Denver then. I don't believe there is a Top Golf in Boulder.
I've seen the pic posted on Twitter several times and in one instance it said Thornton. I had to check a map - just north of Denver.

Edit - The Top Golf is north of Thorton. Closer to Boulder than Denver.

Last edited:

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Haha, yeah ...

"We're the only ones s'posed ta make millions off these kids' effort." - Dinosaur Coaches

There's a lot wrong with the current non-system but these coaches can miss me with their outrage(sic).
While it's true the coaches don't have much moral standing to grab high ground on these kids, the point they make is still a valid one. Colleges shouldn't be allowed to essentially offer kids not even in the portal money to come play.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
While it's true the coaches don't have much moral standing to grab high ground on these kids, the point they make is still a valid one. Colleges shouldn't be allowed to essentially offer kids not even in the portal money to come play.

Yes they should .... because the whole model is stupid or ill-constructed (to put it more intelligently).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The current situation is not sustainable. I don't have any doubts about who caused this mess, but the colleges that make up the NCAA need to do something different. Will they? I have to see it first. The vast sums of money generated by TV have skewed the sport away from its original purpose. It's purely an entertainment business produced and staged for profit.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
The current situation is not sustainable. I don't have any doubts about who caused this mess, but the colleges that make up the NCAA need to do something different. Will they? I have to see it first. The vast sums of money generated by TV have skewed the sport away from its original purpose. It's purely an entertainment business produced and staged for profit.
I agree with this that the whole situation is all sorts of messed up, but it's the one that we're in and it's going to be tough to completely do a 180 out of it. So I'd say that given where we are the best move is to try your best to put lots of restrictions on tampering with out of portal guys, similar to the rules of the NBA and other major sports.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Why not? Show me where it's against the rules.

But first you gotta find me the rules ... which is the problem.
I'd give you it may not be against the rules, I'm more saying what I view the rules ought to be. So I'm really asking if you were the immortal ruler of college football, would you allow teams to offer cash to kids not even in the portal?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes they should .... because the whole model is stupid or ill-constructed (to put it more intelligently).
Name one sports league where teams are allowed to poach players under "contract" with another team. Every league has rules about interacting with players on others teams. Also, every league has mechanisms to create competitive balance (drafts, salary caps, compensatory picks, etc.).

Whether the old model was stupid is certainly debatable. But this is absolutely insane and much more poorly constructed. At this point, there are no rules.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Why not? Show me where it's against the rules.

But first you gotta find me the rules ... which is the problem.
It actually is an NCAA violation for a school to contact a player at another school that is not in the portal. It is rule 14.5.5.2.10.C

"The head coach of the certifying institution and the student shall certify that no athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interest communicated or made contact with the student-athlete, or any individual associated with the student (e.g., family member, scholastic or nonscholastic coach, advisor), directly or indirectly, without first obtaining authorization through the notification of transfer process (see Bylaw 13.1.1.3)."

By the way, this means that a booster at a particular school could not make a random twitter post saying he would pay for a particular player $5M in NIL if that player transferred to the booster's school unless that player was in the portal. That would be indirect contact with the player in question and violate the rule above.

slugboy

Staff member

Name one sports league where teams are allowed to poach players under "contract" with another team. Every league has rules about interacting with players on others teams. Also, every league has mechanisms to create competitive balance (drafts, salary caps, compensatory picks, etc.).

Whether the old model was stupid is certainly debatable. But this is absolutely insane and much more poorly constructed. At this point, there are no rules.
The fact that it works differently in pro leagues has little relation to the NCAA. Pro leagues have unions, collective bargaining agreements, and anti-trust exemptions from Congress. The NCAA has none of that

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

The fact that it works differently in pro leagues has little relation to the NCAA. Pro leagues have unions, collective bargaining agreements, and anti-trust exemptions from Congress. The NCAA has none of that
Oh, I agree completely. But the ones arguing for this mishegoss, use pro leagues as an analogy for college sports, so I try to remind them of this when I can.