Portal Update

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I was looking through the portal and one guy that we need to go get is Michael Ross from Samford. Went 13-0 this year with a low 3 ERA and 2 years ago he was 7-1. That's the type of pitcher we need to throw some money at. He's a winner.

Edit: And for the pen, go get Connor Maggi from Gardner-Webb. He was 2-0 this year with 2 saves. He had an exactly 3.00 ERA with 73 strikeouts and 15 walks in 60 innings. These are the types of guys that we need to target to get us back to Omaha. I know it's not as easy as calling them up and then they just commit, but there are guys like this in the portal that we have to find a way to get.

Last edited:

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I was looking through the portal and one guy that we need to go get is Michael Ross from Samford. Went 13-0 this year with a low 3 ERA and 2 years ago he was 7-1. That's the type of pitcher we need to throw some money at. He's a winner.

Edit: And for the pen, go get Connor Maggi from Gardner-Webb. He was 2-0 this year with 2 saves. He had an exactly 3.00 ERA with 75 strikeouts in 60 innings. These are the types of guys that we need to target to get us back to Omaha. I know it's not as easy as calling them up and then they just commit, but there are guys like this in the portal that we have to find a way to get.
Those guys are everywhere, we just have to make it happen. If we had the UNCW Friday night starter and closer, I feel very sure we are still playing at this point. It doesn't have to be a Chase Burns or Tommy White to get in transfer to make a huge difference (and ironically, neither of those players made it out of the first weekend, at least this year).

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Those guys are everywhere, we just have to make it happen. If we had the UNCW Friday night starter and closer, I feel very sure we are still playing at this point. It doesn't have to be a Chase Burns or Tommy White to get in transfer to make a huge difference (and ironically, neither of those players made it out of the first weekend, at least this year).
Exactly this! We need to get these aces from lower divisions/conferences. They've proven how good they are and should have plenty of experience.

97jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Is D1Baseball the only place we can see who's in? I can't find anything else that's not a school-specific thread.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Exactly this! We need to get these aces from lower divisions/conferences. They've proven how good they are and should have plenty of experience.

We recruit pitchers at a high level as well. Logan McGuire was a top 150 prospect, Cam Hill, Shumolke, Tate McKee, Riley Stanford(top 50) and the kid who transferred to Clemson. Finateri was a top 300 prospect. We just fail miserably at developing them

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We recruit pitchers at a high level as well. Logan McGuire was a top 150 prospect, Cam Hill, Shumolke, Tate McKee, Riley Stanford(top 50) and the kid who transferred to Clemson. Finateri was a top 300 prospect. We just fail miserably at developing them
I know we get high recruits, but as you said, we fail in developing them. It would be nice to get 2-4 proven guys from the portal each year to round out our staff and provide stability. I am really hoping that Hill, Finateri, and McGuire are back next year for their experience and leadership. They all have shown flashes and just need to be consistent. I also really like McKee as he looks like an ace and future MLB pitcher with his stuff. Stanford is a wildcard but if he can consistently throw strikes, he is an MLB pitcher too with his stuff. He could easily be the closer next year.

Quietman6520

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe we should stop recruiting on player rankings and actually go see guys pitch. Just saying

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should stop recruiting on player rankings and actually go see guys pitch. Just saying
Like maybe the kid from Thomasville who just started for the Braves? He went to Southern Mississippi instead. Made it to the big leagues less than a year after being drafted.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully coach Taylor will improve our pitching recruiting. I like his body language during his visits to the mound, which means nothing I know. But next season's pitching results will mean a lot.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Updated
Nico Senese
Carsten Sabathia
Drew Byers
Tyler Minnick
Petey Craska
Terry Busse
JD Smith
Jackson Vaughn
Demitri Diamant
Nicholas Romano -Florida International

Every time my eye catches the "Bu" in Busse in these threads about transfers, I panic 😬 a bit worried that it might be Burress.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Did Charlie Condon have some ties to ugag? He went to the Walker School in Marietta just up Hwy 41 from campus.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
IIRC he was a walkon who almost quit playing baseball.

Edit: Looks like he didn't play his first year at uga and was rated a 9 on Perfect Game in the 2021 class.
Articles I read he was offered some smaller scholarships and waited out the UGa walk on offer towards the last minute.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Articles I read he was offered some smaller scholarships and waited out the UGa walk on offer towards the last minute.

I work with a guy who is close to David Perno. Apparently off the field issues (he didn’t go into detail) is why he wasn’t offered by a lot of schools.

Buzzforlife

Jolly Good Fellow
GT addition:

Ryan Johnson // Position: RHP // Class: Junior // Hometown: Red Oak, Texas //Prev School: Homeschool, Dallas Baptist // CAREER HONORS for 2023:
NCBWA Third Team All-American
ABCA First Team Central All-Region
First Team All-Conference USA
Collegiate Baseball’s National Pitcher of the Week (Week of March 20)
Conference USA Pitcher of the Week (Week of March 20)
2023 (SOPHOMORE)
Named a Third Team All-American by the NCBWA … Also tabbed an ABCA First Team Central All-Region selection and garnered First Team All-Conference USA honors … Began the season in the Saturday role in the weekend rotation and transitioned to become the team’s Friday night ace on March 24 … Posted an 8-4 record with a 4.43 ERA … Finished the year with 116 strikeouts, a mark that ranked as the 16th-highest total in the nation and the second-most in DBU Baseball’s Division I era dating back to 2004 … vs. TOP 25 OPPONENTS: Surrendered two runs over 5.0 innings and struck out seven at No. 22 Southern Miss (3/4) … vs. CUSA OPPONENTS: Earned the win against FIU (3/18) after allowing just two runs in 6.0 innings while striking out nine … Named Collegiate Baseball’s National Pitcher of the Week after striking out a career-high 12 batters and surrendering just two runs over 7.0 innings in his first Friday night start of the year at Charlotte (3/24) … Made his fourth consecutive start without allowing a walk and allowed just one run in 7.0 innings while striking out nine versus UAB (4/6) … Tossed 6.0 shutout innings to earn the win at Florida Atlantic (4/14) … Gave up one run and struck out nine over 6.0 innings to pick up the win versus Louisiana Tech (4/21) … Allowed three runs in 6.0 innings and punched out eight batters to earn the win against Middle Tennessee (5/5) … Struck out eight over 5.0 innings to notch his seventh win of the year at No. 22 UTSA (5/12) … vs. NON-CONFERENCE: Made his first start of the season versus Fordham (2/18) and did not allow a run or a hit over 4.0 innings while striking out eight … Notched his first win of the year after working 6.0 innings and giving up two runs against Austin Peay (2/25) … CUSA TOURNAMENT: Allowed one run in 5.0 innings of work to pick up his eighth win of the year versus Rice (5/24).
2022 (FRESHMAN)
Made 18 appearances, including nine starts, in his first collegiate season … Posted a 3-2 record with a 4.30 ERA … Struck out 47 batters and walked 22 over 58.2 innings of work ... His 58.2 innings were the third-most on the staff … vs. TOP 25 OPPONENTS: Helped lift DBU to a series-clinching win in his start against No. 20 Maryland after allowing one run and striking out four in 3.2 innings … vs. MVC OPPONENTS: Tossed 5.0 shutout innings and fanned a season-high six batters to earn the win at Bradley (4/16) … Came out of the pen to work 2.0 scoreless frames and strike out four at Valparaiso (5/8) … Worked a season-high 6.2 innings in relief and did not allow a run at Indiana State (5/21) … vs. NON-CONFERENCE: Made his Patriot debut on Opening Day versus Southeast Missouri (2/18) and surrendered a pair of earned runs while striking out five in 3.0 innings of relief … Notched his first career save after shutting out Sam Houston (2/25) over the final 3.0 innings … Held San Diego (3/5) to one run in 2.1 innings of relief to earn his first career win ……..Made his first career start at Oklahoma (3/8) and tossed 2.0 scoreless innings against the Sooners … Earned his second win of the year after allowing just one run over 5.0 innings at Oral Roberts (3/20).
COLLEGIATE SUMMER LEAGUE
Pitched for the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team last summer.
HIGH SCHOOL
Four-year letterman for the Home School Texas Alliance for Christian Athletes Storm ... Played for head coach Daniel Sweet … Was a three-time All-American in the Homeschool World Series Association … Rated the No.4 right-handed pitcher and the 10th-best player from the state of Texas by Perfect Game … Played for the Rangers Area Code Team in 2020 … Competed for the Dallas Tigers in the summers.
PERSONAL
Born on August 5, 2002 … Parents are Jeff and Amy Johnson … His father pitched at DBU from 1986-1990 … His brother, MD Johnson, pitched at DBU from 2016-2019 and holds the program’s Division I record for most career wins (29), ranks second in strikeouts (274) and currently pitches in the Miami Marlins’ organization ... Majoring in Business Entrepreneurship … Favorite Bible verse is Luke 9:23.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
GT addition:

Ryan Johnson // Position: RHP // Class: Junior // Hometown: Red Oak, Texas //Prev School: Homeschool, Dallas Baptist // CAREER HONORS for 2023:
NCBWA Third Team All-American
ABCA First Team Central All-Region
First Team All-Conference USA
Collegiate Baseball’s National Pitcher of the Week (Week of March 20)
Conference USA Pitcher of the Week (Week of March 20)
2023 (SOPHOMORE)
Named a Third Team All-American by the NCBWA … Also tabbed an ABCA First Team Central All-Region selection and garnered First Team All-Conference USA honors … Began the season in the Saturday role in the weekend rotation and transitioned to become the team’s Friday night ace on March 24 … Posted an 8-4 record with a 4.43 ERA … Finished the year with 116 strikeouts, a mark that ranked as the 16th-highest total in the nation and the second-most in DBU Baseball’s Division I era dating back to 2004 … vs. TOP 25 OPPONENTS: Surrendered two runs over 5.0 innings and struck out seven at No. 22 Southern Miss (3/4) … vs. CUSA OPPONENTS: Earned the win against FIU (3/18) after allowing just two runs in 6.0 innings while striking out nine … Named Collegiate Baseball’s National Pitcher of the Week after striking out a career-high 12 batters and surrendering just two runs over 7.0 innings in his first Friday night start of the year at Charlotte (3/24) … Made his fourth consecutive start without allowing a walk and allowed just one run in 7.0 innings while striking out nine versus UAB (4/6) … Tossed 6.0 shutout innings to earn the win at Florida Atlantic (4/14) … Gave up one run and struck out nine over 6.0 innings to pick up the win versus Louisiana Tech (4/21) … Allowed three runs in 6.0 innings and punched out eight batters to earn the win against Middle Tennessee (5/5) … Struck out eight over 5.0 innings to notch his seventh win of the year at No. 22 UTSA (5/12) … vs. NON-CONFERENCE: Made his first start of the season versus Fordham (2/18) and did not allow a run or a hit over 4.0 innings while striking out eight … Notched his first win of the year after working 6.0 innings and giving up two runs against Austin Peay (2/25) … CUSA TOURNAMENT: Allowed one run in 5.0 innings of work to pick up his eighth win of the year versus Rice (5/24).
2022 (FRESHMAN)
Made 18 appearances, including nine starts, in his first collegiate season … Posted a 3-2 record with a 4.30 ERA … Struck out 47 batters and walked 22 over 58.2 innings of work ... His 58.2 innings were the third-most on the staff … vs. TOP 25 OPPONENTS: Helped lift DBU to a series-clinching win in his start against No. 20 Maryland after allowing one run and striking out four in 3.2 innings … vs. MVC OPPONENTS: Tossed 5.0 shutout innings and fanned a season-high six batters to earn the win at Bradley (4/16) … Came out of the pen to work 2.0 scoreless frames and strike out four at Valparaiso (5/8) … Worked a season-high 6.2 innings in relief and did not allow a run at Indiana State (5/21) … vs. NON-CONFERENCE: Made his Patriot debut on Opening Day versus Southeast Missouri (2/18) and surrendered a pair of earned runs while striking out five in 3.0 innings of relief … Notched his first career save after shutting out Sam Houston (2/25) over the final 3.0 innings … Held San Diego (3/5) to one run in 2.1 innings of relief to earn his first career win ……..Made his first career start at Oklahoma (3/8) and tossed 2.0 scoreless innings against the Sooners … Earned his second win of the year after allowing just one run over 5.0 innings at Oral Roberts (3/20).
COLLEGIATE SUMMER LEAGUE
Pitched for the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team last summer.
HIGH SCHOOL
Four-year letterman for the Home School Texas Alliance for Christian Athletes Storm ... Played for head coach Daniel Sweet … Was a three-time All-American in the Homeschool World Series Association … Rated the No.4 right-handed pitcher and the 10th-best player from the state of Texas by Perfect Game … Played for the Rangers Area Code Team in 2020 … Competed for the Dallas Tigers in the summers.
PERSONAL
Born on August 5, 2002 … Parents are Jeff and Amy Johnson … His father pitched at DBU from 1986-1990 … His brother, MD Johnson, pitched at DBU from 2016-2019 and holds the program’s Division I record for most career wins (29), ranks second in strikeouts (274) and currently pitches in the Miami Marlins’ organization ... Majoring in Business Entrepreneurship … Favorite Bible verse is Luke 9:23.
Absolutely huge addition if true. This dude is a legit ace. Went 11-3 this year with a 2.21 ERA and 151 Ks in 106 innings to only 14 walks.