Portal Update

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Absolutely huge addition if true. This dude is a legit ace. Went 11-3 this year with a 2.21 ERA and 151 Ks in 106 innings to only 14 walks.
Yeah, if we mess this guy up we will know the problem is with our coaching. Only one start all season (out of 16 total) where he failed to go at least 5 innings. 6 different starts where he struck out over 10 batters, including a 14 K start against Arizona and a season high 15 K outing against Louisiana Tech. The only number I see that isn't fantastic... in 5 starts against eventual tourney teams: 31 innings, 34 hits, 17 runs, 16 earned, 48 K, 7 BB, 4.60 ERA, but I'll take a 7:1 K/BB ratio against tourney teams.

ETA: We might have a case of mistaken identity...it appears that the Ryan Johnson we got is a high school pitcher out of Cartersville, not the Dallas Baptist pitcher. Or maybe we will have two different Ryan Johnsons next season. I can only hope, but I expect not. I see that the Dallas Baptist version of Ryan Johnson is expected to go fairly high in the upcoming MLB draft.

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Think it’s this Ryan Johnson?
CARTERSVILLE
HIGH SCHOOL
USA PRIME SCOUT TEAM 18U
TEAM LAST PLAYED
6-5
HEIGHT/WEIGHT
R/R
BATS/THROWS
18 AND 6 MOS
AGE AT 2024 DRAFT
Yes, that's the one. I know for certain we picked up a commitment from him yesterday, see the tweet I posted above.

The Dallas Baptist version of Ryan Johnson is expected to be drafted next month per this snippet from www.mlb.com/video/2024-draft-ryan-johnson-rhp

2024 Draft: Ryan Johnson, RHP​

April 15, 2024 | 00:00:47

Ryan Johnson, a right-handed pitcher from Dallas Baptist University, is expected to be selected in the 2024 MLB Draft

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I just saw he is pitching in the Cape this summer, I'll be interested to see how he does and if the ends up being a huge loss. Smolke that is.
I really wish we had been able to hang onto he and Noah Samol also. Both seemed to have strong upside. I have no idea what the story was with them departing.