Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Needs to win 3-4 next year, and at least 5 in 2021. By 2022 they need to be competing in all 10 non Clemp or UGAg games. Hopefully by 2023 they’ll be able to compete with those 2 as well. If they aren’t competing with the other 10 in 2023 it would be time to look at a change mid-season.
5 in 2021 is a fail. There is no way anyone with a pulse needs until 2023 to know if we made a great or meh hire.
Conversely, many more games like the VT game and suddenly my patience wanes.
Yep, a weak NCSt. coming in Thursday, is a bit more important than most realize

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. I think recruiting a GT is a little harder than Temple. CGC will find that out. 1) GT requires their student athletes to actually be students and attend class. 2) Not an average person has the the grades to make it into GT (given, they probably are more slack on talented athletes) 3) We are surrounded by the mighty SEC and their schools 4) GT's record isn't going to exactly attract someone that wants to be a "winner". So, his plan of trying to act like a pro team isn't going to lift off as quick as he may want. The question is, how patient does the fan base really want to be? Wait 4 years for his recruits to be seniors??
Oh, I suspect Georgia Tech has its fair share of "average" people.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I suspect Georgia Tech has its fair share of "average" people.
Average people? Average intelligence over all humans on the planet? Average high school grads from the US? From Georgia? Depending on where you want to set the goal posts sure, just due to how bell curves work, but I would definitely say the average GT student is well above average (if it weren’t so, our acceptance rate would be much higher). There is a reason we have had people complain about their sons/daughters being rejected from GT admissions with 4.0 gpas and 1400+ SATs.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I actually applaud the way Collins handled the fair catch on the 2. He could have easily said the truth (which we all know), but he is building a culture so he took the full blame. That’s a players coach and recruits want to play for guys like that.

It WAS the COACHES' fault.Why put a guy out there that doesn't know what do? DON'T catch it inside the 10 !!!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For me it isn't so much how many years or how many wins as it is "is the process working?".

Do we continue to get better? Are we hard-nosed and disciplined? Are we developing guys to build depth? Are impact players emerging? Are we recruiting the guys we need?

Do all that and the wins will eventually come. In the Ross/Friedgen years we started 2-9, then 3-8. Then 7-4, then 12-0-1.

I think going bowling in year 3 is a reasonable attainment, but what if: the foosball gods frown on us and we have a big rash of key injuries, crappy luck, but otherwise show signs of development, play competitively vs a tough schedule, and end up 5-7? If everything else looks good, then I am fine with another year. Eventually if you recruit well/develop guys you can still do pretty well in big injury years.

Just my .02.

This was the way I thought about it when I said four years. Do the right things and the wins will follow. Basically by the end of 3 years we'll know whether Collins process is working on enough fronts to meet whatever metrics you (or I) hold dear. Looking at this year:
  • Offense: indeterminate due to change in scheme and injuries.
  • Defense: indeterminate to non-positive. I think the injuries have led to DL problems causing the entire D to be vulnerable. While change in scheme, much less than O.
  • Special Teams: Fail. At least there are 20 teams ranked lower than us in all 130 teams college football. The only part I give a pass on is place kicking due to the difficulty of coaching that position. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist/2019
  • Team enthusiasm: good. I expect we'll fight hard in our last two games.
  • Recruiting: indeterminate till the kids sign. But good so far.

Jmonty71

Banned
Anyone willing to admit they voted to can him after one year?
I gave him to the end of next season, if there is no improvement. Although, financially speaking, I'm not sure GT can afford to fire him, after next season. We'll just a more disgruntled fan base and lower attended games.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Given until what (goal) though? A winning season, bowl eligibility, 7+ wins?

This is the fundamental problem with Tech football. There is no goal.

If CPJ had a 0.580 win rate, TStan should state … "Our goal is to rebuild the program and achieve a 10% increase in win rate. We plan to win 8 games a year consistently. And that's how our fans can judge our management of the athletics program."

Of course, he'll never commit publicly to a specific goal. And so we wander in search of way to define what success looks like. And everyone is confused.

Jmonty71

Banned
Given until what (goal) though? A winning season, bowl eligibility, 7+ wins?
Me personally? I just want to see continuous improvement. I want to see the overall numbers for the offense and defense, to go up. I want to see a win or 2 more. Doesn't have to be a 6-7 win season, with a bowl, next year. I just want to see some promising numbers.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What is a reasonable amount of time for people to shut up about this coaching staff for a while?

Give this whole thing time. This staff could be EXACTLY what GT needs for long term success and stability. A staff where most of the assistants and head coach have personal ties to the school and area, meaning they will be less likely to bolt for the next hot job.

I have to admit that I get tired of the "fans" who whenever something goes wrong, they want to throw a coaching staff under the bus that hasn't even been here a year. I wonder how many of the critics would feel right if in their own jobs they were fired with 11 months for not achieving glowing results?

/end rant

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What is a reasonable amount of time for people to shut up about this coaching staff for a while?

/end rant

Isn’t the whole point of a discussion board to share a diverse set of opinions? If everyone agreed, it would a pretty boring board.

I’ve learned a great deal from posters here who have a different view and frankly, one I may not agree with. But that’s the fun of it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t the whole point of a discussion board to share a diverse set of opinions? If everyone agreed, it would a pretty boring board.

I’ve learned a great deal from posters here who have a different view and frankly, one I may not agree with. But that’s the fun of it.
There is certainly reasonable criticisms for this coaching staff (as with any). That makes for quality discussions.

I have just been turned off by the drumbeat of "fire them all, fire them all..." that some on here (a small but vocal minority) have pushed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There is certainly reasonable criticisms for this coaching staff (as with any). That makes for quality discussions.

I have just been turned off by the drumbeat of "fire them all, fire them all..." that some on here (a small but vocal minority) have pushed.

You should read the Volnation boards. They range from “fire Pruitt” to “give him a parade” every week. Maybe even the same day. During the game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Give this whole thing time. This staff could be EXACTLY what GT needs for long term success and stability. A staff where most of the assistants and head coach have personal ties to the school and area, meaning they will be less likely to bolt for the next hot job.

I have to admit that I get tired of the "fans" who whenever something goes wrong, they want to throw a coaching staff under the bus that hasn't even been here a year. I wonder how many of the critics would feel right if in their own jobs they were fired with 11 months for not achieving glowing results?

/end rant
I agree with most of this though my leash would be shorter rather than longer. I have big doubts that the coaching staff would remain intact out of loyalty to old G Tech. There are a lot of factors and that is a small one. Pay, resources and coaching atmosphere will play bigger. I had and have serious doubts about the hire, but it is a done deal, so yes, give him time. That is not to say however the complaints should stop This guy is being paid a lot of money by any measure, and was given great resources in relative terms -- I am not counting the Clemsons and Alabamas of this universe -- both in budget and staff throughout the program. I am not a religious man but somewhere in the Bible is the parable of "to whom much is given much is required." Or maybe it is "expected". It's not unreasonable to demand a return, else the job could have gone to the drum major. So beat the drums to your heart's content.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean, there’s a few things. First, I was speaking on a game-level basis. I’d be willing to do the same for Collins, but mostly we’ve been getting blasted every week. We’re not even competitive. As to Johnson’s record, I said it was a matter of personal preference if you would trade a 3 win season to get an 11 win season. I would. I would happily make that trade for Collins. If he goes 2-10 this season but gives me 11-2 in 2021, I’m fine with that. But you have to deliver the boom years. I think we are an average program at best, with some especially sh—ty fans. I don’t think we’re going 10-2 every year. Assuming that, do you prefer 7-5 every year or 7-5 three years, 4-8 one year and 10-2 another year over a five year span. I want the variance because the years we’re really good are fun. If you think we can win 10 games a season, I understand being disappointed by Johnson. What I don’t understand is the unyielding loyalty to Collins, who has done nothing so far and has given no indication that big seasons are on the horizon.

And really, I’d be super happy if we stopped analyzing how good a lineman is by his size. There’s not a shortage of 300 pounders out there. Freaking Toledo can get those guys. What there is a shortage of is big dudes who can drive block and dance like a ballerina. Maybe we’ll get our share of them. I sure hope so. But supplies are limited, and it might make sense to have a system that isn’t totally dependent upon having a couple of them. I mean, if FSU and Miami can’t recruit them, I’m not optimistic about our shot.

I think people like Collins because (1) it is his first year here and have some patience with change and (2) he is someone who wants to be at GT, even with it somewhat sh-tty Fans and limited financial support. You may get exactly what u want and have an 11 win trade off but you can’t make that judgement at all at this point in his tenure.

While you may want to not discuss size of linemen, it is important. Do crummy teams have some big guys, yes. Do the top teams in the country have big OL players, unconditionally....they are top teams because of them. If you want the 11 win seasons every once in a while, you will need a beefy line (unless we go back to the 3opt, ugh), they are harder to move and form a bigger wall (although I will grant u the ballerina comment is a good thing). Five extra seconds in the pocket is a lifetime for a QB.

At the end of the day, we are all GT football fans and that always give us something to complain about and always will, no matter the coach. I think we need to slow down on the Monday morning QB on the team/coach/etc (much different making a call real time than complaining afterwards). Like him or not, we need to accept the coach we have and see what comes of his next few seasons. Alternatively, someone on this board needs to write a big check to buy him out now (and if they write the check, they can choose the coach and live w who they choose, wrath or glory). I think we have other coach buyouts that are more important at this time (oh the fall of bball at gt)