Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I actually applaud the way Collins handled the fair catch on the 2. He could have easily said the truth (which we all know), but he is building a culture so he took the full blame. That’s a players coach and recruits want to play for guys like that.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is going nowhere for at least 5 years of that 7 year contract unless one of two things happens.
  1. NCAA violations
  2. The team becomes divided against itself and against the coaches for whatever reason like what happened in 1994.
No amount of bitching and moaning on message boards is going to change that. Stansbury gave him a 7 year deal because of the amount of time it was going to take for whoever he hired to turn this roster over completely. Like him or not Stansbury knows a lot more about football and the situation our football program is in than any of you keyboard warriors that are pissed about Collins being the coach. Losing sucks but this was inevitable with changing the scheme and not having a lot of Power 5 level talent on either side of the line of scrimmage along with very little depth. The injuries have only made it worse. We play an even tougher schedule next year and will more than likely have to start multiple freshmen on the offensive and defensive lines so for those that expect some big turnaround next year it probably isn't happening. At this point recruiting is what matters. We have a real good class at the moment. Hopefully we finish strong.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
It is some hardcore revisionist history to say we were loaded with NFL players (we weren’t) and that the transition to Johnson was going to be easy. We were picked to go 3-9.
https://www.si.com/vault/issue/1002380/116
Wait we are using preseason prediction as proof now?! Go look up preseason prediction for 2015 and see how that works out. The NFL talent on the 2008 roster is in a earlier reply. Hardcore revisionist history on the media’s steadfast belief that the TO would fail at the P5 level.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Five, for two reasons:

1. By the end of 2023 (his fifth season), his first-year recruits (from 2019) will be redshirt seniors, followed by juniors (2022), sophomores (2021), and freshmen (2020). A good sample size of first-to-fifth-year recruiting classes to see if the talent level of the players can dramatically improve to match those of the big-boy top ten teams, and from there whether it sends GT into the Top 10 and the Orange Bowl by 2023.

2. If the above does not pan out, the buyout will be cheaper with two years remaining on the original 7-year contract.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I said four full seasons. Realistically it should be five, but if year four is incredibly bad (I have no reason to think it will be), then I can see TStan beginning to feel the pressure.

I completely agree, but TStan’s ability to act will, at least in part, depend on the program’s finances at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It is some hardcore revisionist history to say we were loaded with NFL players (we weren’t) and that the transition to Johnson was going to be easy. We were picked to go 3-9.
https://www.si.com/vault/issue/1002380/116
Just because guys that ended up playing many years in the NFL weren’t projected to, doesn’t take away from the fact that they had talent. Yes, CPJ did get the most out of their talent, but guess who recruited a lot of those under the radar guys that ended up being All-ACC and having NFL careers. That’s right. Geoff Collins

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just because guys that ended up playing many years in the NFL weren’t projected to, doesn’t take away from the fact that they had talent. Yes, CPJ did get the most out of their talent, but guess who recruited a lot of those under the radar guys that ended up being All-ACC and having NFL careers. That’s right. Geoff Collins

Three years ago everyone here told us Gif Smith recruited all those players. Seems this is a bit revisionist as well...

Either way, proof will be in the pudding in two years.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Wait we are using preseason prediction as proof now?! Go look up preseason prediction for 2015 and see how that works out. The NFL talent on the 2008 roster is in a earlier reply. Hardcore revisionist history on the media’s steadfast belief that the TO would fail at the P5 level.
JFC. I was speaking to the transition.

We started a converted tight end at tackle, a fullback at A-back, a walk-on at center, no backup to Dwyer, and had multiple freshman all over the field.

Honestly I’m not sure why we’re even taking about Johnson, other than this weird fetish some people have to make his time here seem like it was a dumpster fire in order to excuse the new coach (which is a non sequitur, anyway).

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
3-4 years. Can’t take anything from this year, except: (1) the fact that Paul won with this roster and others like it makes him pretty much the best coach in history; and (2) as annoying as CGC can be off the field with his interviews and constant car salesman-vibe, he really wanted the job, which I appreciate, because a lot of other coaches would have been (and according to others, were) intimated by the transition and lack of football support (ie money) at GT.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Collins is going nowhere for at least 5 years of that 7 year contract unless one of two things happens.
  1. NCAA violations
  2. The team becomes divided against itself and against the coaches for whatever reason like what happened in 1994.
No amount of bitching and moaning on message boards is going to change that. Stansbury gave him a 7 year deal because of the amount of time it was going to take for whoever he hired to turn this roster over completely. Like him or not Stansbury knows a lot more about football and the situation our football program is in than any of you keyboard warriors that are pissed about Collins being the coach. Losing sucks but this was inevitable with changing the scheme and not having a lot of Power 5 level talent on either side of the line of scrimmage along with very little depth. The injuries have only made it worse. We play an even tougher schedule next year and will more than likely have to start multiple freshmen on the offensive and defensive lines so for those that expect some big turnaround next year it probably isn't happening. At this point recruiting is what matters. We have a real good class at the moment. Hopefully we finish strong.
Let’s play a hypothetical game to test this. Let’s say we finish 2-10 this year. We also go 2-10 next year against a tough schedule. Year 3 we go 3-9 and year 4 we go 4-8. UGA beats us by 28+ every year. Attendance has fallen to historically low levels and recruiting is beginning to fall off because there is no positivity around the program at all. You give Collins a 5th year?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
If we start playing at home in front of 20,000 fans, then Stansbury has to go too. Saturday was the worst football game I've ever witnessed at BDS and that includes the losses to Furman and Citadel. I gave Collins three years on the survey, but I don't know if the program can survive that long with such dreadful football. I hope that Stansbury and Collins know what they are doing.

Animal02

Banned
Let’s play a hypothetical game to test this. Let’s say we finish 2-10 this year. We also go 2-10 next year against a tough schedule. Year 3 we go 3-9 and year 4 we go 4-8. UGA beats us by 28+ every year. Attendance has fallen to historically low levels and recruiting is beginning to fall off because there is no positivity around the program at all. You give Collins a 5th year?
He would not make it to year 4 in that scenario. There is no way you could afford to keep him with more hopey changey on a year 4. At that point, he would have to have 9 win seasons the next 4 years to break the .500 mark at the end of his 7 year contract.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
By year 3 we will know the direction of CGC's tenure. That's different from how much time TStan/GT will give him because he has a 7 year contract (and will also depend on the buyout language/structure). It's also different from whether CGC wins any championships or not.

This staff is touting itself as a recruiting and talent development staff. As it stands today, we have a top 25 recruiting class (will probably end up top 30). If it continues to get better through year 3, CGC and staff will have accomplished one part of their mission. They will have checked that box.

By year 3, we should not be getting shut out and have our rears handed to us like what happened against VT. I said before it gets worse before it gets better. We were pretty bad after the Citadel loss, steadily improved over the last few games, then got our azzes handed to us by VT on Saturday. That's a big set back in the momentum we were building. In year 3, the majority of the roster will be "CGC's guys", and the staff will have had their system, and development take root with the rest of the roster. Honestly, I expected us to be a bowl team this year, but that was being overly optimistic. I drank the Koolaid. By year three I will have issues with CGC if we don't make a bowl game. Its about wins at that point, not fancy slogans, recruiting gimmicks, and hyperbole. CGC and staff need to show tangible results by Year 3.

The one promising thing you can take away, for now, is recruits are buying in. Go look at what our commits and the kids we're recruiting are saying over in the recruiting forum. We just received a historical beat down by VT, but a 4 star DT we have a good shot at flipping from 'Bama (ALABAMA!!!) tweeted praise and support for CGC after driving to Atlanta to attend the game.

The structure of CGC's buyout will be interesting, and I hope it becomes a moot point, but the reality is how much time CGC is afforded depends on his contract.

Animal02

Banned
By year 3 we will know the direction of CGC's tenure. That's different from how much time TStan/GT will give him because he has a 7 year contract (and will also depend on the buyout language/structure). It's also different from whether CGC wins any championships or not.

This staff is touting itself as a recruiting and talent development staff. As it stands today, we have a top 25 recruiting class (will probably end up top 30). If it continues to get better through year 3, CGC and staff will have accomplished one part of their mission. They will have checked that box.

By year 3, we should not be getting shut out and have our rears handed to us like what happened against VT. I said before it gets worse before it gets better. We were pretty bad after the Citadel loss, steadily improved over the last few games, then got our azzes handed to us by VT on Saturday. That's a big set back in the momentum we were building. In year 3, the majority of the roster will be "CGC's guys", and the staff will have had their system, and development take root with the rest of the roster. Honestly, I expected us to be a bowl team this year, but that was being overly optimistic. I drank the Koolaid. By year three I will have issues with CGC if we don't make a bowl game. Its about wins at that point, not fancy slogans, recruiting gimmicks, and hyperbole. CGC and staff need to show tangible results by Year 3.

The one promising thing you can take away, for now, is recruits are buying in. Go look at what our commits and the kids we're recruiting are saying over in the recruiting forum. We just received a historical beat down by VT, but a 4 star DT we have a good shot at flipping from 'Bama (ALABAMA!!!) tweeted praise and support for CGC after driving to Atlanta to attend the game.

The structure of CGC's buyout will be interesting, and I hope it becomes a moot point, but the reality is how much time CGC is afforded depends on his contract.
I didn't drink the koolaid and expected us to make a bowl.;)
The structure of the buyout will not matter if by year three he is not at 6-6

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......The one promising thing you can take away, for now, is recruits are buying in. Go look at what our commits and the kids we're recruiting are saying over in the recruiting forum. We just received a historical beat down by VT, but a 4 star DT we have a good shot at flipping from 'Bama (ALABAMA!!!) tweeted praise and support for CGC after driving to Atlanta to attend the game........

This is the most important part of all to me. Those who are the program and have skin in the game believe in Collins.

IMHO CPJ got more out of the talent he could recruit than any other coach could. But after 11 years it was time to move on or stay where we were. We have to recruit better to get better. We may get worse but at least we are trying. Bitching at each other does no good, only harm.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't drink the koolaid and expected us to make a bowl.;)
The structure of the buyout will not matter if by year three he is not at 6-6

I agree 100% that you didn't buy in. I thought we had a good chance given our weak schedule. You were right and I was wrong.

Next year is going to be real tough since the SoS is going to be so much higher. The third year I'll be out of excuses:barefoot:

Animal02

Banned
This is the most important part of all to me. Those who are the program and have skin in the game believe in Collins.

IMHO CPJ got more out of the talent he could recruit than any other coach could. But after 11 years it was time to move on or stay where we were. We have to recruit better to get better. We may get worse but at least we are trying. Bitching at each other does no good, only harm.
Collins and TStan chose this route.....I.E. essentially throwing away a season or two....though the goal posts appear to be moving now to 3-4. They have done this at their own peril. Fans and alumni will not tolerate successive sub .500 seasons like that.