POLL: How do you feel about Key as HFC?

Which best characterizes your view on Key as GT's new HFC? (You may pick 2 choices)

• Was my first choice for HC. LFG!

Votes: 113 29.7%
  • Not my first choice, but still see it as a strong hire. Let’s do this thing!

Votes: 151 39.6%
  • Some valid reasons why he was hired, but also many real concerns. Cautiously optimistic.

Votes: 122 32.0%
  • Very disappointed in hiring. Still have some hope I am wrong.

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Absolutely wrong decision, very pessimistic.

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Don’t Know. LFG!

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Glad you allowed multiples... I voted not my first but solid AND first choice LFG!

He wasn’t my first choice but I changed him to my first choice as the season went on. I love how the locker room reacts to him and I don’t think the value of that can be overstated. It’s HUGE!
I am prepared for some growing pains... I know he has very little real HC experience, so there will be missteps, but he has the pedigree and resume that says he is ready for a shot. A power 5 shot is a big jump, but I’m optimistic.
I have a feeling he is going to build it right; it’s going to be hard nosed, no-nonsense football. Kids love him and we know he recruits, so I see no reason he can’t motivate and lead a team effectively. We’re going to struggle with the top of our schedule for a couple /three years regardless of who we hire, but we’re going to be back to competitive in all of them (winning the majority of them) in short order.

To the few who are frustrated that we “missed” on bigger opportunities, I’ll say that I’m not so sure that’s accurate. We have our financial issues, no doubt, but I see what Key did this season as a HUGE boost to our approach to coaching search. He emerged as a very viable option; not just a stopgap. When you start laying out pros and cons, Key brings a lot to the table in our situation. Yeah we could’ve paid out for a bigger name if we were financially in order but we might have just gotten a bigger name for more money. Not only salary, We don’t have to buy anyone out of a current contract. We also lose less of the roster (and we have made improvements to the roster!), have some continuity in recruiting and developing players, and to be honest, our concerns about how fast Key matures into this role basically parallel the concerns we had with other candidates abilities translating to this level and to GT specifically.

I’m excited to see the team excited and I am ready to watch them all work their a**es off for Key and GT

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I voted 3, "Some valid reasons why he was hired, but also many real concerns. Cautiously optimistic."

I am not sure I would have voted 1 for anyone. I always have a cautious/cynical side of my brain stirring up trouble. I am fully behind CBK. Maybe he'll be okay. As others noted, staying with same OC/DC will be deflating, but we did show modest improvement on offense past couple of games. I could live with Thacker, but the offensive side of the ball needs too much work to stick with Long. He didn't impress in his previous OC gig either.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I voted "some valid reasons he was hired, .....

I would probably say my feeling about it right now is "cautiously hopeful", but it is hard for my personality to ever say "optimistic", especially being a long time GT alum/fan. I wish our financial situation was better, but it is what it is. I believe Key is a sincere person, which I do appreciate at Tech. I never thought the last guy was "sincere" - I always thought he was trying to sell, shuck, and jive.

I believe if Key can get the right staff put together with a combination of "smarts" and recruiting acumen, who knows how good this might turn out?

Go Jackets!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I voted 3, "Some valid reasons why he was hired, but also many real concerns. Cautiously optimistic."

I am not sure I would have voted 1 for anyone. I always have a cautious/cynical side of my brain stirring up trouble. I am fully behind CBK. Maybe he'll be okay. As others noted, staying with same OC/DC will be deflating, but we did show modest improvement on offense past couple of games. I could live with Thacker, but the offensive side of the ball needs too much work to stick with Long. He didn't impress in his previous OC gig either.
He got rid of Long, per reports, today. So, it sounds like he will get to hire a new OC, which I believe is the critical hire for him.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Another item to add to his interim performance is instilling accountability in the players on and off the field. This is something I haven't seen mentioned on the board yet, but during either the UGA or UNC game there was a play where Felix was a running back and got a big gain (I believe for a first down) and the next play he was replaced by Dontae. The sideline reporter said one of the coaches in the booth noticed that Felix was holding the ball loosely on the play and so Key put him on the bench for a bit. Felix actually made a great play BUT was held accountable for not doing little details he is coached to do. The fact that he is able to be so tough on the players while still maintaining the overwhelmingly positive relationships with them cannot be understated.
From afar this looks like a pretty good hiring outcome. As fans at least you got a bit of a test drive before the AD handed over the keys.

As for instilling accountability on the on/off the field, this is a big item for programs like Minnesota and GT. It is a critical component of coaching 2-3-stars up to 4 or better star performance over a career.

Coach Fleck has a billion sayings, acronyms, etc. for example like "Row The Boat." Drives lots of fans crazy but the kids buy it (which is what counts). Each of these sayings has a specific meaning in his culture. One of these is "the ball is the program." An immediate, demonstrable type of accountability to this mantra is a rule that gameday players ALWAYS hand the ball to the officials...no tosses over or ball dropped in place on the field, or whatever. This applies to everyone. You get benched for an indeterminate period if you don't. As a fan you actually watch for the defender or RB to make their way to the nearest official to do the handoff...

I only bring this up that as you get to better know HC Key, the example of benching for poor ball control will be one of many little tells on accountability. This can actually end up being a fun part of the game as a fan, especially in the early seasons, to see how accountability on/off the field translates to gameday performance. Looks like you've already got one down in the books. This is good. Billd.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
From afar this looks like a pretty good hiring outcome. As fans at least you got a bit of a test drive before the AD handed over the keys.

As for instilling accountability on the on/off the field, this is a big item for programs like Minnesota and GT. It is a critical component of coaching 2-3-stars up to 4 or better star performance over a career.

Coach Fleck has a billion sayings, acronyms, etc. for example like "Row The Boat." Drives lots of fans crazy but the kids buy it (which is what counts). Each of these sayings has a specific meaning in his culture. One of these is "the ball is the program." An immediate, demonstrable type of accountability to this mantra is a rule that gameday players ALWAYS hand the ball to the officials...no tosses over or ball dropped in place on the field, or whatever. This applies to everyone. You get benched for an indeterminate period if you don't. As a fan you actually watch for the defender or RB to make their way to the nearest official to do the handoff...

I only bring this up that as you get to better know HC Key, the example of benching for poor ball control will be one of many little tells on accountability. This can actually end up being a fun part of the game as a fan, especially in the early seasons, to see how accountability on/off the field translates to gameday performance. Looks like you've already got one down in the books. This is good. Billd.
Another example of this "old school" way of thinking is the Penn State jersey.

Right?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

Always good to hear from you and get perspectives outside of the program and even the southeast! At the beginning, Collins actually reminded me of Fleck with all the marketing and sayings but he couldn't back it up on the field like Fleck.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Key gave us renewed hope in a season where all seemed lost right off the bat. He’s doing things right, the way he learned from his mentors and will restore dignity and pride to our program. I’m really optimistic about our future as long as he gets the money needed to succeed.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Always good to hear from you and get perspectives outside of the program and even the southeast! At the beginning, Collins actually reminded me of Fleck with all the marketing and sayings but he couldn't back it up on the field like Fleck.
In the end schlitck, culture, or whatever the flavor of the day will only go so far. At least in the Big 10 West, our rivals pretty much agree he is a good coach but most can't stand him personally.

In terms of backing it up with real world performance, Coach Fleck leaves a lot to be desired in "playing not to lose" and managing timeouts. The former is fine with equal or inferior opponents, but not the better programs where playing "conservative" just doesn't cut it. As for timeouts, because we bleed the clock on every offensive down this means that our risk for delay of games penalties is very high. This coupled with some true indecision at critical times results in having the ball with 1-2 minutes left at halftime or the end of the game and no timeouts. Not good.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I mentioned this on another thread but I don't think we "can't" pay a coach enough. I don't think we are willing to pay a lot without a guarantee of positive results. All the discussions indicate that we are not willing to pay out a large "guaranteed" salary. However, it doesn't mean that Key won't be paid a lot if he succeeds but a large portion of what he gets paid will be in performance incentives. From what I understand this is similar to the contract Chadwell currently has at Coastal. Someone said chadwell's base salary is only $850,000 but he makes closer to $2.5 million a year after incentive payouts.

More coaching salaries should be more incentive laden and less guaranteed regardless of results or being convicted of murder. The Hewett and Collins contracts are examples of why.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Brent Key walks the walk where Collins simply talked the talk. Collins claimed to be part of the Nick Saban and Urban Meyer coaching trees, but he never actually coached players directly under either of those men. He can rightfully claim to be in the Meyer tree, but upon closer inspection, that’s not necessarily the greatest endorsement (most of Meyer’s former assistants have flamed out in HC roles).

Brent Key, on the other hand, has actually coached one of the more challenging position groups on Saban’s staff for a significant amount of time. He’s worked not only with the legend himself but also alongside numerous Saban assistants who have gone on to have success as head coaches themselves. He’s worked with Kiffin, Sarkisian, Cristobal, Daboll, and Locksley, among others. He’s learned lessons from working with all of them in addition to Saban himself. He’s seen firsthand that there’s more than one strategy to achieve success, and he’s seen how various leaders maximize their strengths. Not only that, but he’s had opportunities to learn what not to do. He failed spectacularly as OC at UCF, setting his career back years. He had a front row seat experiencing his alma mater decline under the previous coach. He is no stranger to success or failure, meaning he has experience managing both. Brent Key seems like he has what it takes to lead Tech out of the shadows and back to respectability.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key walks the walk where Collins simply talked the talk. Collins claimed to be part of the Nick Saban and Urban Meyer coaching trees, but he never actually coached players directly under either of those men. He can rightfully claim to be in the Meyer tree, but upon closer inspection, that’s not necessarily the greatest endorsement (most of Meyer’s former assistants have flamed out in HC roles).

Brent Key, on the other hand, has actually coached one of the more challenging position groups on Saban’s staff for a significant amount of time. He’s worked not only with the legend himself but also alongside numerous Saban assistants who have gone on to have success as head coaches themselves. He’s worked with Kiffin, Sarkisian, Cristobal, Daboll, and Locksley, among others. He’s learned lessons from working with all of them in addition to Saban himself. He’s seen firsthand that there’s more than one strategy to achieve success, and he’s seen how various leaders maximize their strengths. Not only that, but he’s had opportunities to learn what not to do. He failed spectacularly as OC at UCF, setting his career back years. He had a front row seat experiencing his alma mater decline under the previous coach. He is no stranger to success or failure, meaning he has experience managing both. Brent Key seems like he has what it takes to lead Tech out of the shadows and back to respectability.
He’s everything that Collins pretended to be. And is hopefully about to do everything that Collins could only dream of.

Well said, sir.