POLL: How do you feel about Key as HFC?

Which best characterizes your view on Key as GT's new HFC? (You may pick 2 choices)

• Was my first choice for HC. LFG!

Votes: 113 29.7%
  • Not my first choice, but still see it as a strong hire. Let’s do this thing!

Votes: 151 39.6%
  • Some valid reasons why he was hired, but also many real concerns. Cautiously optimistic.

Votes: 122 32.0%
  • Very disappointed in hiring. Still have some hope I am wrong.

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Absolutely wrong decision, very pessimistic.

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Don’t Know. LFG!

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He can rightfully claim to be in the Meyer tree, but upon closer inspection, that’s not necessarily the greatest endorsement (most of Meyer’s former assistants have flamed out in HC roles).
When did Collins and Meyer ever cross paths?

Collins was under Mullen and Jim McElwain, and Mario Cristobal notably (does being a GA count for O’Leary?). Not sure what tree it would be fair to put him in since he never stayed in one place very long.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Besides the obvious show of capability this yr I was glad to see the variety of exp he got at UCF.From position coach to Recruiting Dir to Off coach.AND he did it at a school that fights some big boys but hasn't been one until almost he was there.(The Ala exp was good for learning first rate organization but not how to get along with little).
At least he is one of "ours" and has been a winner all through.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Feel free to add your thoughts on your choice below.
I marked "first choice" and then I thought maybe he wasn't if Chadwell was hired. So, he was and he wasn't. Don't care, he has my unqualified support and he has earned this job the hard way. One caveat, he has a bunch of contributors to replace next year so it will not be easy to get to 6 wins. I just want the boys to play hard, have fun, and look like they have been coached to play football. Not the easiest thing to do as we have witnessed the past four years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just want the boys to play hard, have fun, and look like they have been coached to play football. Not the easiest thing to do as we have witnessed the past four years.
Probably not easy I would agree but CBK did exactly that in the last 8 games imo. Whether we won or lost, it looked like they had indeed been coached. And were busting their tails. Yes, I like the wins but effort and eliminating the silly mistakes are non-negotiable to me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He was my number one choice, but as has been said hiring a HC is a crap shoot. When they have never been a HC it's even more of a crap shoot. Saban says they (HC) have to be really involved in the details, we don't know whether CBK will do that or not. I have some optimism as we go forward
and CBK is a competitor. He has been instilled over the years with a winning mentality. Yes pieces have to be added but I feel we have a better chance to hit the ground running than if we had brought in a completely new HC and staff.
Well, he has the pedigree, that's for sure. He has coached under Saban and O'Leary. Can't get better exposure than those two.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Another example of this "old school" way of thinking is the Penn State jersey.

Right?
It is really remarkable. In 1966, I went to Homecoming with my parents and the theme was "What is a Nittany Lion?" Of course, it was Penn State. Their uniforms were plain blue and white and here it is a new century and they look exactly the same. Incidentally, that game was mentioned in Joe Paterno's autobiography as being a turning point for him as a young coach. The game showed him that he needed to get more speed on the field. Tech won 21-0.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Players Coach, but Hard. No BS like the " money down" BS. He is real, not a " clown show". Key just wants to WIN. Glad he is cleaning house w the folks that thought you should wear costumes and dance instead of lift. College Football is big biz, you dont have to try to be everyones friend. These are Power 5 players. It does not have to always be fun. It takes work ( not fun work ) to succeed. I think Key is that guy. JMO.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Players Coach, but Hard. No BS like the " money down" BS. He is real, not a " clown show". Key just wants to WIN. Glad he is cleaning house w the folks that thought you should wear costumes and dance instead of lift. College Football is big biz, you dont have to try to be everyones friend. These are Power 5 players. It does not have to always be fun. It takes work ( not fun work ) to succeed. I think Key is that guy. JMO.
Well Flea should know, he has been around more big time football than just about any of us.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Sure would be nice to have another proud Tech dude leading the strength 'n conditionin'..

You happen to know a guy?

:unsure:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I checked off box no. 2. My first preference was Willie Fritz, due to his long experience and record as a head coach. I believe, from what I’ve read, that Fritz was definitely interested in becoming the head coach at GT, and had a good interview with J Batt.

However, Fritz wasn’t satisfied at the terms of the written contract that was offered to him, and therefore he refused to accept the job. GT simply did not have enough money to get him.

But … I was very happy that Brent Key got the job. He completely understands — and fully accepts — the financial constraints that GT is currently operating under, yet he wanted the job and is personally willing to take it on with all of its enormous challenges.

In the end, given the circumstances, I now believe Brent Key is the right man to steer the ship.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I chose option 4. From where I sit he was he was hired for four reasons:

1) He's a "Tech man." 🤮
2) He was cheap.
3) He was better then Collins while facing the softest part of the worst coastal schedule since I've been a fan which imo is an incredibly low bar.
4) We whiffed on everyone else on our list.

None of those reasons are at all compelling to me and leave me feeling disappointed when all is said and done. Would rather have had any of the other options we were connected to including Fritz. But c'est la vie.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I chose option 4. From where I sit he was he was hired for four reasons:

1) He's a "Tech man." 🤮
2) He was cheap.
3) He was better then Collins while facing the softest part of the worst coastal schedule since I've been a fan which imo is an incredibly low bar.
4) We whiffed on everyone else on our list.

None of those reasons are at all compelling to me and leave me feeling disappointed when all is said and done. Would rather have had any of the other options we were connected to including Fritz. But c'est la vie.
LOL. How miserable. Why don't you just go root for someone else?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
LOL. How miserable. Why don't you just go root for someone else?

What's miserable to me is being so sensitive to someone else's honest opinion that you'd encourage them to go root for another team. Some of you on this board are unbelievably soft on that front.

I'm not wired to be blindly loyal or a simple cheerleader in my sports fandom. Goes for all the teams I root for. Don't like it? I don't give a ****.

Besides, based on all the empty seats I've seen at Bobby Dodd the past 5 or 6 years I don't think it's a wise move to try and run off the few fans of the team that actually care.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
What's miserable to me is being so sensitive to someone else's honest opinion that you'd encourage them to go root for another team. Some of you on this board are unbelievably soft on that front.

I'm not wired to be blindly loyal or a simple cheerleader in my sports fandom. Goes for all the teams I root for. Don't like it? I don't give a ****.

Besides, based on all the empty seats I've seen at Bobby Dodd the past 5 or 6 years I don't think it's a wise move to try and run off the few fans of the team that actually care.
I wasn't encouraging, I was asking. "Why don't you just go root for someone else?"

If you think things are so terrible here, and feel compelled enough to share it although all it will do is make others feel worse about the team, why are you still a Tech fan? Do you think that making others lower their level of excitement is good for the program? Do you think that sharing your opinion now will change the AD's mind and have them go with your better option?

I'm honestly curious.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
What's really telling is that, prior to Key being hired, everyone I knew in and around CFB was telling me that he should be our guy. People that know football. He could bust, but the difference in our team was noticeable to outsiders more than just wins and losses show. He beat 2 Top 25 teams on top of the noticeable trend in improvement through the season.