POLL: How do you feel about Key as HFC?

Which best characterizes your view on Key as GT's new HFC? (You may pick 2 choices)

• Was my first choice for HC. LFG!

Votes: 113 29.7%
  • Not my first choice, but still see it as a strong hire. Let’s do this thing!

Votes: 151 39.6%
  • Some valid reasons why he was hired, but also many real concerns. Cautiously optimistic.

Votes: 122 32.0%
  • Very disappointed in hiring. Still have some hope I am wrong.

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Absolutely wrong decision, very pessimistic.

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Don’t Know. LFG!

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I chose option 4. From where I sit he was he was hired for four reasons:

1) He's a "Tech man." 🤮
2) He was cheap.
3) He was better then Collins while facing the softest part of the worst coastal schedule since I've been a fan which imo is an incredibly low bar.
4) We whiffed on everyone else on our list.

None of those reasons are at all compelling to me and leave me feeling disappointed when all is said and done. Would rather have had any of the other options we were connected to including Fritz. But c'est la vie.
You're right to say those four reasons are why he was hired, and you're right to say none of them are compelling.

But in my opinion, Batt lucked into the right choice, anyway, if only by default. The real reasons why Brent is the right choice are that he has shown he can motivate, organize, and lead. With some solid assistants, the only missing factor in his success will be how well he can recruit. Time will tell about that, but I think he's the right man for the job. And the job is a tough one. Essentially, it is to pull Tech up by its bootstraps.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What's really telling is that, prior to Key being hired, everyone I knew in and around CFB was telling me that he should be our guy. People that know football. He could bust, but the difference in our team was noticeable to outsiders more than just wins and losses show. He beat 2 Top 25 teams on top of the noticeable trend in improvement through the season.

That was my impression as well. I initially wanted Chadwell when TFG was fired. Key won me over. A lot of folks on the board were saying we wouldn't consider him if he weren't a Tech fan, or nitpicking the iHC results (setting the bar at a totally unreasonable height). But every outside observer seemed confused why we weren't hiring him ASAP.

Especially once the Fritz rumors heated up people were very confused why we were looking at rolling the dice on a late career guy with a losing record in his current job. Over a guy who pulled off a very impressive mid-season turnaround.

Teams that fire their coach after starting 1-3 and aren't favored in a single remaining game, don't go .500 the rest of the way (with 2 ranked road wins!) Teams down to their 3rd and 4th string QB don't beat ranked teams on the road.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I don't have to explain myself to anyone but I will indulge you.

I wasn't encouraging, I was asking. "Why don't you just go root for someone else?"
Because I don't want to? I don't have any kind of connection to any other college football team so rooting for someone else doesn't interest me.

If you think things are so terrible here, and feel compelled enough to share it
The title of the thread is 'How do you feel about Key as HFC?' So I posted about how I feel about Key as HFC. I did not realize there was an unspoken rule that we're only allowed to respond if it made @85Escape feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What an ******* I am. I apologize for interrupting your circlejerk.

although all it will do is make others feel worse about the team, why are you still a Tech fan? Do you think that making others lower their level of excitement is good for the program?
If posting my opinion, when it was asked for, in such an innocuous and mild way makes someone else feel worse about the team or dims their excitement for the program that's not a me problem it's a them problem. I'm not responsible for other people's emotions while expressing myself. Have some self confidence man! If you think Key was a home run hire that's awesome! He's not who I wanted but it is what it is. You got what you wanted! Be excited! If reading such a bland post from a rando on an internet message board is going to affect your level of excitement, look in the mirror because that's on you and, like I said, you are soft.

And let's be real man. Nothing we do on here is going to affect the program one way or another. This is the third string GT message board. Part of the reason it's so small time is because who wants to deal with the **** you're pulling now.

you think that sharing your opinion now will change the AD's mind and have them go with your better option?
Lol no. Like everyone else here, I'm not important enough for that. It's so weird how you're manufacturing all these nefarious reasons to just post some innocent thoughts on a Monday morning. Might be time to touch some grass my friend.

I'm honestly curious.
I hope I satiated your curiosity. I'm too am curious as to why some of you guys have so vigorously played the role of GTSwarm fan hall monitor the past few years and tut tut anyone who doesn't fit into your narrow minded definition of how to be a fan. But most of the time these days I just roll my eyes and move on with my life. You should try it sometime.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't encouraging, I was asking. "Why don't you just go root for someone else?"

If you think things are so terrible here, and feel compelled enough to share it although all it will do is make others feel worse about the team, why are you still a Tech fan? Do you think that making others lower their level of excitement is good for the program? Do you think that sharing your opinion now will change the AD's mind and have them go with your better option?

I'm honestly curious.

TL;DR version

Title of thread: POLL: How do you feel about Key as HFC?

Me: Posts how I feel about Key as HFC

85Escape: How dare you post how you feel about Key as HFC

Me:
Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 8.39.39 AM.png

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You're right to say those four reasons are why he was hired, and you're right to say none of them are compelling.

But in my opinion, Batt lucked into the right choice, anyway, if only by default. The real reasons why Brent is the right choice are that he has shown he can motivate, organize, and lead. With some solid assistants, the only missing factor in his success will be how well he can recruit. Time will tell about that, but I think he's the right man for the job. And the job is a tough one. Essentially, it is to pull Tech up by its bootstraps.

It could work out that way and that would be great! I'm not rooting against the guy nor am I predicting failure. Just meh on the whole situation. I need to see more then eight games against mostly the soft underbelly of a weak conference schedule without any expectations to feel the same way.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It could work out that way and that would be great! I'm not rooting against the guy nor am I predicting failure. Just meh on the whole situation. I need to see more then eight games against mostly the soft underbelly of a weak conference schedule without any expectations to feel the same way.
Try being optimistic, GT needs positive energy from the fanbase. Try watching Key’s presser from today, he is a pretty damned inspiring speaker.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I understand.

One thing you mentioned was that Key was hired in part because he's a Tech man. I think that's true, and usually I think that should be a non-factor either way, but in the particular corner we're backed into that might be a plus. One way or the other, time is going to tell whether he can fill the bill. Being the Tech HC right now is a difficult task. We're all hoping Key's up to it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If you think things are so terrible here, and feel compelled enough to share it although all it will do is make others feel worse about the team, why are you still a Tech fan?
We are in the thread “how do you feel about the hire”. I haven’t seen him stinking up other threads complaining about Key (maybe I missed it), so I’m not sure what the issue with him doing it here is.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I am cheering for Key because we cannot afford more years of being bad. With the landscape of football changing, we dug a hole at the worst time. Key is up to the challenge and is at least going to take it head on.

I’m glad people are excited by his press conferences, but as has been mentioned, a lot of people began excited about Collins press conferences too. We hired someone who would not be a P5 head coach if not for GT being his alma mater. That doesn’t mean he won’t succeed, but I find it odd that people don’t understand why that is cause for some concern.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
We are in the thread “how do you feel about the hire”. I haven’t seen him stinking up other threads complaining about Key (maybe I missed it), so I’m not sure what the issue with him doing it here is.
You'd think there wouldn't be an issue but it seems the hivemind is starting to form. You didn't miss it. I haven't really said anything about the coaching search at all and you can see why I was hesitant to do so.

Last edited:

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You'd think there wouldn't be an issue but it seems the hivemind is starting to form. You didn't miss it. I haven't really said anything about the coaching search at all and you can see why I was hesitant to do so.
I, for one, am glad that you are voicing your honest opinion. I disagree with your assessment of Key and the program, and that’s what generates good discussion: conflicting viewpoints.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think negativity is too early. In my mind, 2 big unanswered questions is an OC who can significantly improve points by the offense and recruiting...where we currently sit in the 50s. Time will tell if both of those can be improved

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Try being optimistic, GT needs positive energy from the fanbase. Try watching Key’s presser from today, he is a pretty damned inspiring speaker.
GT doesn't need 'positive energy' from me. It needs consistent on field success. That is the only way to keep ourselves from falling even further behind then we already are. Whether I am optimistic or contribute 'positive energy' or not has zero effect on that. ZERO. This isn't some kids movie where the plucky underdog comes out on top because of the power of positivity. We're all just passengers on this ride. So let's try this: I will be a fan the way I want to be a fan while you be a fan the way you want to be a fan. It'll work out for both of us. As for the presser, I'm not interested. I generally don't watch them. Words are cheap. I'll chip in some of that positive energy once I see consistent success on the field over a decent period of time.

For the record, while I wouldn't describe myself as optimistic I wouldn't describe myself as pessimistic either. Very much in a "let's see how this goes" mode. Really weird the way people on here want to square up over something so basic as that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I chose option 4. From where I sit he was he was hired for four reasons:

1) He's a "Tech man." 🤮
2) He was cheap.
3) He was better then Collins while facing the softest part of the worst coastal schedule since I've been a fan which imo is an incredibly low bar.
4) We whiffed on everyone else on our list.

None of those reasons are at all compelling to me and leave me feeling disappointed when all is said and done. Would rather have had any of the other options we were connected to including Fritz. But c'est la vie.
Those are well thought out reasons for your pessimism but I think Key will prove to be a worthwhile investment. Was he my first choice? Probably not as that would have been Saban or someone else equally farfetched but that is one of the perks of being a "sidewalk fan" you are permitted to indulge in fantasies that have little relation to reality. Athletic directors, school presidents, and people paying the freight have to be more grounded.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
GT doesn't need 'positive energy' from me. It needs consistent on field success. That is the only way to keep ourselves from falling even further behind then we already are. Whether I am optimistic or contribute 'positive energy' or not has zero effect on that. ZERO. This isn't some kids movie where the plucky underdog comes out on top because of the power of positivity. We're all just passengers on this ride. So let's try this: I will be a fan the way I want to be a fan while you be a fan the way you want to be a fan. It'll work out for both of us. As for the presser, I'm not interested. I generally don't watch them. Words are cheap. I'll chip in some of that positive energy once I see consistent success on the field over a decent period of time.

For the record, while I wouldn't describe myself as optimistic I wouldn't describe myself as pessimistic either. Very much in a "let's see how this goes" mode. Really weird the way people on here want to square up over something so basic as that.
I do not necessarily agree with your assessment of the Key hire, but you sure as hell are entitled to express your opinion without the vitriol of other fonts. Especially, in a thread asking for your opinion on the hire. There are far too many fonts who think there is only way to be to be a true fan and then try to claim you are not a real fan unless you think, speak and act the way they want to.

Unless you are disparaging the team, coach or players, please share your opinion even if it does not align with everyone else's.

I had a font IM me to tell me that I was a completely miserable and negatively fan just because I had the audacity to not only express a varying opinion but also try to defend it when others argued with me claiming I said something I never even said. When I asked for specific examples of my being negative, they called me "damaged goods" and said I was playing games to drag them into my negativity. Don't let the fonts here define who you are as a fan. You be you.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bill Curry did and to Alabama no less which Coach Dodd refused to schedule after the elbow to the jaw incident.
One of the worst injuries I have ever seen judging from the photos. The Tech team doctor called it the worst facial injury he had ever seen in his career and stated that Chick Graning had suffered more than a dozen bones broken in his face. Can't say I blame Coach Dodd but later Bear Bryant sponsored Tech in trying to get us back into the SEC but to no avail.