Poll: Do You Think We Will Be Better or Worse Off in 5 Years?

Over the next 5 years, do you think GT will do better, worse or about the same as under Johnson?

• Better

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • Worse

Votes: 63 40.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know how you could rank PJ ahead of Ross & O’Leary , I think those 2 would’ve built dynasties , but hey I think PJ was good
I think CPJ and OLeary are close. I give CPJ the edge simply because I think he is playing in a tougher ACC than OLeary played in and has had to navigate tougher academic restrictions. OLearys best years were also when Fridge was there so I have to question how much of it was him and how much was it Fridge.

Ross only had one good year really but it was obviously an amazing year. It’s kind of hard to compare him and CPJ.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So you like spending your time, and investing your money on things you expect to fail? Gotcha.
My love for Tech exceeds wins an losses. You could tell me they will never win a game, and yes I would still cheer for my team.

I want them to never lose a game. I want them to win every nation championship for the rest of time. My being a fan is not contingent on that.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
My love for Tech exceeds wins an losses. You could tell me they will never win a game, and yes I would still cheer for my team.

I want them to never lose a game. I want them to win every nation championship for the rest of time. My being a fan is not contingent on that.
Neither does mine, and I’m not oblivious to the fact that GT isn’t a football factory and will never contend for national titles on a year to year basis but at the same time, I see post on the board about how we will suck for next 2-4 years. That way of thinking just doesn’t make sense to me.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m curious the age/ how long some of these posters have been following Georgia Tech football. There is a floor that we are very capable of falling too that we haven’t fallen to consistently in around 20 years. With the wrong hire, we could be back there.
On the plus side of 50, became a Tech fan in the fall of '76. Graduated in '94 (ID94), about 5 years older than most of my classmates at the time.

I lived through the dismissal of Coach Rodgers and saw how far Tech plummeted in Coach Curry's first years. Apparently, there was some serious talk about dissolving the football program altogether prior to joining the ACC. When Coach Curry left, the program hit rock-bottom again, this time with a kind of low-grade mutiny going on against the incoming regime. Things got better in '89 when Coach Ross's recruits started blossoming, but '87 and '88 were terrible seasons. Then after Coach Ross left for the Chargers, Lewis took Tech back to rock-bottom. It could easily happen again. The best transition in my time as a Tech fan was the Gailey-Johnson transition; either one of those coaches could have taken the program higher if one or two variables had been different. For CCG, it was probably getting the right QB. For Coach Johnson, having a defense and not being so hamstrung by the Hill.

I think the Hill really is the x-factor (if not the board of regents). If anyone remembers, it was a perfect storm when Patrick Crecine was Tech president. He was incredibly gung-ho and supportive of Tech athletics. He understood Tech's traditions, even as an outsider, and had a good relationship with AD Homer Rice. I think this as much as anything contributed to the success of '90. It was this environment that Coach Ross and his staff entered into and eventually found success.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
On the plus side of 50, became a Tech fan in the fall of '76. Graduated in '94 (ID94), about 5 years older than most of my classmates at the time.

I lived through the dismissal of Coach Rodgers and saw how far Tech plummeted in Coach Curry's first years. Apparently, there was some serious talk about dissolving the football program altogether prior to joining the ACC. When Coach Curry left, the program hit rock-bottom again, this time with a kind of low-grade mutiny going on against the incoming regime. Things got better in '89 when Coach Ross's recruits started blossoming, but '87 and '88 were terrible seasons. Then after Coach Ross left for the Chargers, Lewis took Tech back to rock-bottom. It could easily happen again. The best transition in my time as a Tech fan was the Gailey-Johnson transition; either one of those coaches could have taken the program higher if one or two variables had been different. For CCG, it was probably getting the right QB. For Coach Johnson, having a defense and not being so hamstrung by the Hill.

I think the Hill really is the x-factor (if not the board of regents). If anyone remembers, it was a perfect storm when Patrick Crecine was Tech president. He was incredibly gung-ho and supportive of Tech athletics. He understood Tech's traditions, even as an outsider, and had a good relationship with AD Homer Rice. I think this as much as anything contributed to the success of '90. It was this environment that Coach Ross and his staff entered into and eventually found success.

Good comment! Don’t take my comment the wrong way. I think we can do better, but I also think it’s asinine to assume we can’t do worse. Hopefully the future is bright.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think CPJ and OLeary are close. I give CPJ the edge simply because I think he is playing in a tougher ACC than OLeary played in and has had to navigate tougher academic restrictions. OLearys best years were also when Fridge was there so I have to question how much of it was him and how much was it Fridge.

Ross only had one good year really but it was obviously an amazing year. It’s kind of hard to compare him and CPJ.

As far as my personal preferences of the three, I liked O'Leary the most and CPJ next.

As to Strength of Schedule (SoS), O'Leary's was the easiest (average .583) and Gailey's was the hardest (.664). CPJ in between at .630 going into this year. Right now we are at .619 SoS and that will bump up to about the average .630 with a bowl game. Remember, these are total season including bowl averages so the SoS goes up generally with a bowl game. Playing in a crappy division of the ACC doesn't help our SoS; and we did play two of the best teams in the country which moved it up a good bit this year.
image.png

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I 'll just say 2 things re: new coach. I 'm glad PJ is gone whether he really retired on his own, or was forced out. I have no clue as to who would be the next best coach to hire. I hope T.S. never reads these suggestions until he makes his own brilliant decision. This is really a BIG decision for him!!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Do we have any way of getting the money for a big name coach? One who can overcome lack of majors and competitive recruiting landscape just by having the correct first and last name?

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Something to consider: assuming CPJ is retiring of his own accord (and most indicators point that way) answer this question: why?

The only reasons that make sense to me are either
A. Personal issues, like a terminal cancer diagnosis, might mean he really does want to spend time with his family that coaching would deprive him of.

Or

B. He doesn't see the ability to compete and win at GT. With the new AD and new defense, I would have to think CPJ thinks our AD will not be able to raise resources or ameliorate the hill situation enough to be competitive.

If that's the case, it bodes ill for both hiring a new coach and our prospects over the next five years.

I mean, call it paranoid, but GT taught me that paranoia about getting the Shaft is always wise.

Animal02

Banned
Something to consider: assuming CPJ is retiring of his own accord (and most indicators point that way) answer this question: why?

The only reasons that make sense to me are either
A. Personal issues, like a terminal cancer diagnosis, might mean he really does want to spend time with his family that coaching would deprive him of.

Or

B. He doesn't see the ability to compete and win at GT. With the new AD and new defense, I would have to think CPJ thinks our AD will not be able to raise resources or ameliorate the hill situation enough to be competitive.

If that's the case, it bodes ill for both hiring a new coach and our prospects over the next five years.

I mean, call it paranoid, but GT taught me that paranoia about getting the Shaft is always wise.
Being close to CPJ's age, you get to a point where you just don't want to fight it anymore. If the 2008-2016 period had not been such an economic disaster, I would be ready to hang it up and travel the world. I didn't have the luxury of CPJ's income during that period.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Being close to CPJ's age, you get to a point where you just don't want to fight it anymore. If the 2008-2016 period had not been such an economic disaster, I would be ready to hang it up and travel the world. I didn't have the luxury of CPJ's income during that period.

I don't disagree, but then again I don't see CPJ as someone who lets wisdom about quality of life override his competitiveness.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
The key is will we be able to increase talent. I dont begrudge any of the players we currently have, but we cannot get to the next level, regardless of who our next hall of fame coach is without bigger faster players.

To my point, if you replaced player x with say Richardo Igram or A J Gray how much improved might our defense been.

On offensive, if our B back and center had not gotten hurt, and we were at an 'A' level up the middle and not at a 'B' how might we have changed the season...

Obviously this is my little speculation but the point is better Talent wins you games and that gets Back Down 2 what do we need to do as a university .errr. Institute. To make our talent level better.

So a great coach a great scheme all that is amazing but you have to get the soldiers...

The talent difference between us and the men in orange and the dogs in red was distinct and HAS to be lessened for us to see W s against these rivals.

Back to the 'Rebel Yell' cheers!

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
100% depends on the coach. We most likely will be about the same or worse. Probably not better.
Actually it doesn't 100% depend on the coach. The money committed to the football program, AD leadership, fan support, and scheduling/strength of opponents will also count for a hell of a lot. These things may be influenced by who Tech hires but not really controlled by him.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Actually it doesn't 100% depend on the coach. The money committed to the football program, AD leadership, fan support, and scheduling/strength of opponents will also count for a hell of a lot. These things may be influenced by who Tech hires but not really controlled by him.

I don’t disagree, poor choice of words on my part. My point is if we make a good hire, we could be better, but if we make a bad one, we could be a lot less. It’s hard to answer this question without knowing who’s the head coach next year.