Poll: Do You Think We Will Be Better or Worse Off in 5 Years?

Over the next 5 years, do you think GT will do better, worse or about the same as under Johnson?

• Better

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • Worse

Votes: 63 40.9%
  • About the same

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a silly question before knowing who we bring in. The answer to the question hinges 100% on the hire.

So my answer is yes and no. Worse and better. Up and down. Fast and slow.

If the question depends 100% on the hire, why did O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson all do about the same? I think O'Leary was the best coach and would have excelled if he hadn't (attempted) to go to ND.

Different routes to the same end.

I agree that at the extremes it makes a difference. So rather than making 100% of a difference, it probably makes about 33% of a difference.

There are some coaches before our last three that were truly dismal from their records. And a few who most would agree were pretty good. :bored:

Again, it's not the end of GT football. I think this will all work out and we'll punch above our weight occasionally like we typically have done.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No way we get worse, will probably be around the same or maybe better. If you seriously think it’s going to get worse why continue to waste your time supporting something you don’t believe in?
Because you want to support our SAs!! Some of us will not whine and complain just because we have some team stats we don’t like. For many of us we will support the team no matter what is happening on the field. Kind of like a Cubbie fan for decade after decade before their most recent success. Always have admired those Cubbie fans. Wish we had more fans like that

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
“No way we get worse.” Dude, I know you hate the triple option, but it could definitely get worse.

Why continue to “waste my time” even if I think it might get worse? Cause I can still be entertained and enjoy something I care about even if I don’t think they are going to win a National Championship.
He's too young to remember the 80's and probably thinks history cannot be repeated.

If TStan puts more money in the program to help recruiting, we will improve. I think that will be the case regardless of coach. We'd have been better in 5 years with CPJ and we'll be better with <coach name here> as well as long as the investment is made.

If we continue to be 61/65 in football spending, no we will not improve.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious the age/ how long some of these posters have been following Georgia Tech football. There is a floor that we are very capable of falling too that we haven’t fallen to consistently in around 20 years. With wrong hire, we could be back there.
I'm 21 so I really only remember as far back as the Calvin years.

Animal02

Banned
He's too young to remember the 80's and probably thinks history cannot be repeated.

If TStan puts more money in the program to help recruiting, we will improve. I think that will be the case regardless of coach. We'd have been better in 5 years with CPJ and we'll be better with <coach name here> as well as long as the investment is made.

If we continue to be 61/65 in football spending, no we will not improve.
You are making to much sense for this board.......didn't you know, the only reason Tech is so bad is the 3O offense? :rolleyes:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious the age/ how long some of these posters have been following Georgia Tech football. There is a floor that we are very capable of falling too that we haven’t fallen to consistently in around 20 years. With the wrong hire, we could be back there.

I became a Tech fan on 9/17/1998. GT 41 - UVA 38...20 year anniversary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I waited a day to post so everyone could take a deep breath.

The sky is not falling. Nor are we going to perennially be a top 20 team. I think we get more of the same from who ever the new coach is. I trust TStan to do his job and believe he has GT's best interests at heart.

People asked me today whether I was happy or upset that CPJ retired. Neither I guess. Just time to get on with the transition.

There have been a lot of studies that show that regardless of coach, a school's performance stays about the same. It has been that way for GT with the last three coaches; O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson. I'll update the chart below after the bowl game since it was done before the season started, but Johnson will still be just a bit less than O'Leary or Gailey.
image.png

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Tech will recruit better with the new coach (can't get much worse on defense). The state of Georgia is loaded with talent (much more than in the 80's) and Stansbury seems to be doing the right things to increase resources. It will depend on how good the coaching is to get ahead of the other teams in the ACC. It is not likely they will have teams that can beat the factory teams regularly - my hopes are to avg 8-9 wins per year and be relevant most of the time.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you have to look at a coaches trend. O’Leary took over a disaster and made it better, though he left flunkgate. Gailey took over a good team, survived flunkgate, then left a good team. Johnson inherited this good team then let it level out or even trend down some.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally think CPJ was the best coach we have had here since Dodd. Therefore an unnamed coach coming in and being better than that seems unlikely, especially in today’s college climate. Here’s hoping though.
Don’t know how you could rank PJ ahead of Ross & O’Leary , I think those 2 would’ve built dynasties , but hey I think PJ was good

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you have to look at a coaches trend. O’Leary took over a disaster and made it better, though he left flunkgate. Gailey took over a good team, survived flunkgate, then left a good team. Johnson inherited this good team then let it level out or even trend down some.
Ross took over a dumpster fire also

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Level Out/Trend Down is definitely an
Overstatement. We played in 2 major Bowls for first time since Dodd and played for the conference title 3 times. The only reason it may feel “leveled out” is because the ACC in 2018 is way different than the ACC in 2008. Paul deserves some blame for not keeping up with the Joneses, but I can’t help but feel Sasquatch was a big reason most of the ACC passed us during that time.

That said, yes, Ross and O’Leary were better coaches.

Last edited:
Well, it depends on who we hire. As far as the comparisons. O'Leary, Gailey , CPJ, O'Leary, who I liked, did not start doing well until he got CRF back, and then when he left we started to slide. Chan won most games he should and lost to UGA, Fla State and some to Clemson. CPJ took us to an entirely new level.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Overstatement. We played in 2 major Bowls for first time since Dodd and played for the conference title 3 times. The only reason it may feel “leveled out” is because the ACC in 2018 is way different than the ACC in 2008. Paul deserves some blame for not keeping up with the Joneses, but I can’t help but feel Sasquatch was a big reason most of the ACC passed us during that time.

Ross, yes.

O’Leary....not at all sure about that. He never had good defenses, and Freidgen saved his bacon on offense. And he was lousy with keeping players eligible and graduation rates.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If the question depends 100% on the hire, why did O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson all do about the same? I think O'Leary was the best coach and would have excelled if he hadn't (attempted) to go to ND.

Different routes to the same end.

I agree that at the extremes it makes a difference. So rather than making 100% of a difference, it probably makes about 33% of a difference.

There are some coaches before our last three that were truly dismal rom their records. And a few who most would agree were pretty good. :bored:

Again, it's not the end of GT football. I think this will all work out and we'll punch above our weight occasionally like we typically have done.

I have love for both O’Leary and CPJ. Very similar feelings now as back then. Sad to see both go and concerned the next hire would not live up to what preceded them.

Ironically many were glad to see O’Leary leave then also. Many for reasons of personality/demeanor . Some for spurning Tech for his dream of a lifetime job. Others because he had not fielded a strong D as a HC while Fridge’s O had operated at an elite level.

After resume gate no Tech fans I knew wanted to hire him back, he hadn’t been replaced yet. I did want exactly that and really couldn’t understand the reasoning of those in opposition. One of the tv channels even did a call in poll asking if Tech should do that. The poll was a blowout against that and in favor of moving on....I think less than 10% wanted him to return.

I felt the same when Cremins was forced out. What an idiotic and ungrateful move that was.

In summation, my 3 all time favorite Tech coaches have been sadly under appreciated. Leads me to believe Tech fans are generally ingrates and unable to evaluate the jobs our coaches have done. After O’Leary and Cremins left my concerns were validated as their replacements were not capable of maintaining the success of their predecessors. I hope history doesn’t repeat again but I’d be foolish to think it won’t.

Totally disagree, Ross and O'Leary were not better Coaches than CPJ. they coached in a different time at Tech and did not have nearly the success as CPJ